Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:15 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:30 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:03 am

And we should care about that why? I'd rather have a really good Gamera movie than some "meh" version appearing in a not so hot crossover. Who cares if everyone remembers it? All Gamera needs it good films that make enough money to make more good films. That's it really. What does needing "something to hold on to" even mean? That the end is inevitable save through the miracle of a crossover?
The 3 best Godzilla films argubly are Gojira, Shin Godzilla and GMK. Had Godzilla only had those 3 films that would be 3 super strong entries.
Definitely arguable - as nice as GMK is I'd put the 84 film way above it. I'd also put vs Destroyah and the Against Mechagodzilla/Tokyo SOS on GMK's level. Also while not my favorite personally a lot of people would rank Biollante pretty high up there. GMK is more of the top tier of the middle class Godzilla movies.
As the same time I would hate not having the MV and even the weaker films like Gigan or the bigger ones like Mothra vs Godzilla and the two Ghidorah films in the 60's.

Gamera is a big enough character that yeah I want him to have that event film even if it's not as good as something like the Heisei trilogy.

Gamera crossing with Godzilla and Kong wouldn't be a movie that just sucked anyway so I'd take a spectacle event film for Gamera this time.
I like the MV and Gigan and all those other films as well - but what I'm saying is we don't have to go that route to get Gamera content - it's not MV crossover or bust, it's not settling for something, they could just make a really great, really stand out Gamera solo feature first whether in the MV or not. Why is a solo film so darned impossible or not preferable right now? Gamera has done well enough to be profitable, even if only ever modestly, by himself before - so why not again? I'd rather have a great film of moderate success, than a moderate film of great success. Why can't we just take a mildly profitable but satisfying film again? Why does it need to be an "event"?
My initial purposal wasn't that we couldn't get solo Gamwra film, my thing was Gamera would not reach a height on his own as he would being in a film with Godzilla and Kong.

Introducing him in a Godzilla film just gives more confidence in him getting Solo American films because I wouldn't want people to not see the first Gamera mv film and then miss out on the rest of Gamera's potential.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

the 3 best Godzilla films argubly are Gojira, Shin Godzilla and GMK.
I think this only pertains to very specific Tohokingdom critics.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:09 pm
I just went with Gojira and 2 safe choices for the franchise as a whole.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:11 pm
Oh gotcha yeah that makes sense
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:03 pm

The 3 best Godzilla films argubly are Gojira, Shin Godzilla and GMK. Had Godzilla only had those 3 films that would be 3 super strong entries.
Definitely arguable - as nice as GMK is I'd put the 84 film way above it. I'd also put vs Destroyah and the Against Mechagodzilla/Tokyo SOS on GMK's level. Also while not my favorite personally a lot of people would rank Biollante pretty high up there. GMK is more of the top tier of the middle class Godzilla movies.
As the same time I would hate not having the MV and even the weaker films like Gigan or the bigger ones like Mothra vs Godzilla and the two Ghidorah films in the 60's.

Gamera is a big enough character that yeah I want him to have that event film even if it's not as good as something like the Heisei trilogy.

Gamera crossing with Godzilla and Kong wouldn't be a movie that just sucked anyway so I'd take a spectacle event film for Gamera this time.
I like the MV and Gigan and all those other films as well - but what I'm saying is we don't have to go that route to get Gamera content - it's not MV crossover or bust, it's not settling for something, they could just make a really great, really stand out Gamera solo feature first whether in the MV or not. Why is a solo film so darned impossible or not preferable right now? Gamera has done well enough to be profitable, even if only ever modestly, by himself before - so why not again? I'd rather have a great film of moderate success, than a moderate film of great success. Why can't we just take a mildly profitable but satisfying film again? Why does it need to be an "event"?
My initial purposal wasn't that we couldn't get solo Gamwra film, my thing was Gamera would not reach a height on his own as he would being in a film with Godzilla and Kong.

Introducing him in a Godzilla film just gives more confidence in him getting Solo American films because I wouldn't want people to not see the first Gamera mv film and then miss out on the rest of Gamera's potential.
I don't know why we should care though - as long as the film is profitable enough to get more, who cares if he doesn't reach some great imagined height on his own? Pacific Rim did well enough to get a crap sequel and an anime. Rampage made profit. The Meg made a profit and is getting a sequel - and don't even try to make out like it was helped by being part of some obscure "popular" book series, this thing isn't Harry Potter. If they can do it without Godzilla and/or Kong, Gamera can do it. He doesn't need to reach their popularity. He just needs a solo film that does well enough, and that is clearly possible.

Added in 8 minutes 9 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:11 pm
That makes sense. Gojira, Godzilla 1984, Biollante, Destroyah, Against Mechagodzilla/Tokyo SOS, GMK, and Shin kind of make up the core "safe choices" for the most part, although you'll still get people arguing against any one of those outside the first. I myself think Biollante is overrated and confusing with the spiritual mumbo jumbo about whether the soul of that one girl is in the monster plant or not, and the largely pointless oil country's hitman subplot. Mostly the points it earns with me is that outside all that crap, Biollante is just a slick badass kaiju design. Also Miki was clearly waifu bait before waifu bait was a thing.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Calling users on here “critics” is the most laughable thing I’ve read today
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:59 pm Calling users on here “critics” is the most laughable thing I’ve read today
If you seriously dislike people here so much, why don't you just leave?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:05 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:59 pm Calling users on here “critics” is the most laughable thing I’ve read today
Habit and boredom
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:38 am

I don't know why we should care though - as long as the film is profitable enough to get more, who cares if he doesn't reach some great imagined height on his own? Pacific Rim did well enough to get a crap sequel and an anime. Rampage made profit. The Meg made a profit and is getting a sequel - and don't even try to make out like it was helped by being part of some obscure "popular" book series, this thing isn't Harry Potter. If they can do it without Godzilla and/or Kong, Gamera can do it. He doesn't need to reach their popularity. He just needs a solo film that does well enough, and that is clearly possible.
Because I as a kaiju fan would like to finally get Godzilla vs Gamera. The last huge kaiju movie fans thought we wouldn't get. And I would love to see Godzilla, Kong and Gamera together to get my Avengers assemble moment.

Lastly as a fan if Gamera and seeing the respect Legendary has shown Godzilla and Kong I would want then to do the same with Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:07 pm
Gigantis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:05 pm
Habit and boredom
Sounds like a very unhealthy way of doing things, if you don't enjoy being on TK anymore you should leave. Break the cycle, break the boredom, enjoy your day rather then whittling it away and becoming more bitter over what is in truth just a forum with a group of people and a time you no longer enjoy. Time sunk fallacy should not dictate where you spend your time,instead where you enjoy being should dictate it. You had great fun on TK but right now you do not, take a break and you will likely find yourself enjoying it again when you come back

There's always a break, you can take it at any time and end it at any time

As for Gamera in the Monsterverse I think it would be pretty awesome! The Gyaos could be incorporated in a same fashion as the Skull-Crawlers and be a enemy not only for the Titans but the Human characters as well. Though admittedly I would like to see a Godzilla Vs. Gamera done by Toho and Daiei directly but it would be pretty cool to see and the Monsterverse background lore allows for an easy way for Gamera to appear. Heck Hollow Earth energy is almost Gamera's Mana

But at the same time I don't think they will have Gamera as even if Daiei was less restrictive than Toho, Legendary would still have to pay for him and his mythos and that would make the Monsterverse revolve around three characters that Legendary doesn't have much direct control of. And if Legendary is going to spend money on another license I feel they would probably just get another Toho monster rather than Gamera

But who knows things change after all. I'm just here for the ride I don't know where its going or what they think
GMK. Had Godzilla only had those 3 films that would be 3 super strong entries.
That's a weird way of spelling Godzilla Vs. Biollante and Astro Monster! :P
And Godzilla 2000
Last edited by ROMG4 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:49 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:38 am

Because I as a kaiju fan would like to finally get Godzilla vs Gamera. The last huge kaiju movie fans thought we wouldn't get. And I would love to see Godzilla, Kong and Gamera together to get my Avengers assemble moment.

Lastly as a fan if Gamera and seeing the respect Legendary has shown Godzilla and Kong I would want then to do the same with Gamera.
Eh, I just got the big dumb kaiju vs movies with KotM and GvK. They...were pretty cgi spectacles? Yeah, screw it, I'd a hundred times rather get a Gamera movie with a smidge more effort put into everything other than just the dumb popcorn spectacle we'd get seeing Godzilla vs Gamera. I enjoyed it, but it's disposable and forgettable. At this point, if we're getting Gamera back, I want it to be in an actual good freaking movie, not just some vapid bucket list empty cg slugfest because fan dreams. It's just not exciting anymore. Gamera would be better served in a deeper movie where people actually wanted to make a good movie, not a gif machine or fighting videogame.

And again, I liked GvK, but I wanted so much more from such an epic, historic crossover. Getting that again from Godzilla vs Gamera just feels like, why? Shin Gamera would be such a better film.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

The thing is if their gonna do a Gamera solo film they'd have to go all out to grab the audiences interest and make people think it's not just another monster flick. Because let's face facts, Gamera is even more ridiculous than Godzilla. And arguably even less possible.

People are already tearing the MV from limbs because of the Hollow Earth and insane tech. So I'd argue Gamera has no choice but to lean more towards a comedy film with badass moments rather than simply a straight up action kaiju flick like the past few films.

As for Gamera's chances. I do feel like their growing. The word is spreading and most fans who support the #ContinueTheMonsterVerse movement on twitter are now putting out support for Gamera in the MV.

And let's be honest even from a studio stand point. If you found out Godzilla was supposed to fight and equally powerful, giant flying fire turtle, wouldn't you wanna see it too? :lol:
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ernesth100 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:56 pm The thing is if their gonna do a Gamera solo film they'd have to go all out to grab the audiences interest and make people think it's not just another monster flick. Because let's face facts, Gamera is even more ridiculous than Godzilla. And arguably even less possible.

People are already tearing the MV from limbs because of the Hollow Earth and insane tech. So I'd argue Gamera has no choice but to lean more towards a comedy film with badass moments rather than simply a straight up action kaiju flick like the past few films.

As for Gamera's chances. I do feel like their growing. The word is spreading and most fans who support the #ContinueTheMonsterVerse movement on twitter are now putting out support for Gamera in the MV.

And let's be honest even from a studio stand point. If you found out Godzilla was supposed to fight and equally powerful, giant flying fire turtle, wouldn't you wanna see it too? :lol:
I get what you're saying, but, have you seen the last two films? The ship, it has sailed. It has struck an iceberg. It has sank. No survivors. Trying to argue that Gamera is to weird for the MV and needs to lean into the comedy at this point is frankly ridiculous. The MV hasn't a shred or element of groundedness left. Gamera fits into the MV just fine and perfectly now more than ever. Seriously, the tone of KotM and GvK is what I had expected from a Hollywood Gamera from the very beginning. They don't have to force it anymore, they don't have to go any more comedic or campy, they already set up the exact tailor made tone style and setting for Gamera right now as is. You're arguing that Gamera is somehow still ridiculous in comparison to the last two films we just got? Heck, if anything standard Gamera might feel a little too grounded as is at this point. Holy fudge but the MV is a ridiculously over the top insanely ungrounded place right now. You don't need to make excuses for Gamera's more "silly" elements any more, they fit now. They fit the MV like a freaking glove.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I can definitely respect that and agree on some levels. That being said both routes could really work. And I'd argue it's easier with Gamera being promoted as one of the more friendly monsters. Which we don't have many of.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:21 am I can definitely respect that and agree on some levels. That being said both routes could really work. And I'd argue it's easier with Gamera being promoted as one of the more friendly monsters. Which we don't have many of.
I'd still rather Gamera not be comedied up or start off in a crossover. Just do a decent kaiju action solo vs flick if he's got to be in the MV. No to the notion he needs to be taken less seriously than MV's already ridiculous Godzilla, and no Godzilla or Kong anywhere in sight for all of his first movie. Do Gamera justice, do him respect, and don't make excuses or half measures or overthink it.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I could see Legendary getting the rights to Gamera but making films separate from the Monsterverse. Just because of the constraints Toho and Kadakowa might have.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cookson wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:09 am I could see Legendary getting the rights to Gamera but making films separate from the Monsterverse. Just because of the constraints Toho and Kadakowa might have.
I honestly don't think Toho cares that much about Legendary Godzilla as long as the money keeps rolling in. Legendary Goji is like that kid that moves away and doesn't talk to you much while he still sends money back home and visits on the holidays.

Toho Godzilla is the kid that stayed at home and you watch him more wanting him to do bigger better things.

Kadakowa getting free money and having Gamera get a film with Kong and Godzilla I see being enough for them. Toho getting that Gamera would lose if he and Godzilla fight and ultimately would become 4rd fiddle might be enough for them.

It's good to remember they did the stage show crossover in the 70's, they distributed the Heisei trilogy and the only reason the film in 2002 didn't happened was Toho didn't see it making a lot of money.

I don't see Godzilla vs Gamera not making a lot of money in Japan.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

If they do a solo first then here's to hoping they don't hold back on showing off how powerful Gamera can be. A good first enemy would be Legion. Showing that Gamera doesn't need help from humans to beat his enemies as well would be a welcome turn around. Because Christ does the MV have a problem with that.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:53 pm If they do a solo first then here's to hoping they don't hold back on showing off how powerful Gamera can be. A good first enemy would be Legion. Showing that Gamera doesn't need help from humans to beat his enemies as well would be a welcome turn around. Because Christ does the MV have a problem with that.
It keeps the human characters relevant to the main conflict.

I’m also hard pressed to think of many heroic Godzilla movies where he doesn’t need help defeating a foe. There’s... Ebirah: Horror of the Deep... Godzilla’s Revenge... Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla vs Megaguirus. That’s it.
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:53 pm If they do a solo first then here's to hoping they don't hold back on showing off how powerful Gamera can be. A good first enemy would be Legion. Showing that Gamera doesn't need help from humans to beat his enemies as well would be a welcome turn around. Because Christ does the MV have a problem with that.
Disagree. Legion could be what brings Gamera and Godzilla together. Legion if works if you wanted Kong to tag along as well.

If Gamera is getting a Solo first I would say go Gyaos or a new Titan, something similar to Gryphon could be cool.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image