General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by Chrispy_G »

Yeah, Kaneko returning would be awesome. I would also be cool with an anime film of some fashion, preferably of the more PG-13 and serious/violent fashion as opposed to some whimsical ghibli variety.

Genndy Tartakovsky's Gamera would be a thing of beauty.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Yes to Kaneko returning! Even after 20 years its nice he still has interest in Gamera! :D

Also yes to the idea of a Primal-style show of Gamera with its animation!
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaneko returning would be awesome as hell, but i find it kinda weird to think about. Didn't he retire from film making after the 2000's were over?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

As I’ve said before, Gamera can’t survive on a Japan only style release. The character doesn’t sell toys like Ultraman or Godzilla either. For Gamera to survive, and not just a one and done, Kadakowa needs to make it broader... release it in China.. get a limited theatrical release in the United States.

I want Gamera to come back, but it can’t be done in a traditional sense.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I'd love for Kaneko to return on any kaiju project (I'd love to see his version of Ultra Q).

... but his trilogy is complete. I don't like the idea of a continuation. Him in charge of a new version of Gamera, though? I'm all for it. If such a thing were announced it would become my most anticipated thing in all pop culture!

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:28 am Kaneko returning would be awesome as hell, but i find it kinda weird to think about. Didn't he retire from film making after the 2000's were over?
Kaneko's last time writing a movie was Gamera 3 and GMK but he's been a director of quite a few movies since GMK
Spoiler:
Director
Kōichirō Uno's Wet and Swinging (1984)
Minna Agechau (1985)
Last Cabaret (1988)
Summer Vacation 1999 (1988)
Who Do I Choose? (1989)
Hong Kong Paradise (1990)
My Soul Is Slashed (1991)
No Worries on the Recruit Front (1991)
Graduation Journey: I Came from Japan (1993)
Necronomicon (Segment "The Cold") (1993)
It's a Summer Vacation Everyday (1994)
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)
Gamera 2: Attack of Legion (1996)
Haunted School 3 (1997)
Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)
Pyrokinesis (2000)
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
Azumi 2: Death or Love (2005)
Death Note (2006)
God's Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand (2006)
Death Note 2: The Last Name (2006)
Pride (2009)
Messiah (2011)
The Centenarian Clock (2012)
The Sacrifice Dilemma (2013)
Jellyfish (2013)
Danger Dolls (2014)
Scanner (2016)
Linking Love (2017)
Matchmaking Cruise (2017)
Xi Bo Li Ya feng yun (2018)

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ROMG4 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:36 am
Gigantis wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:28 am Kaneko returning would be awesome as hell, but i find it kinda weird to think about. Didn't he retire from film making after the 2000's were over?
Kaneko's last time writing a movie was Gamera 3 and GMK but he's been a director of quite a few movies since GMK
Spoiler:
Director
Kōichirō Uno's Wet and Swinging (1984)
Minna Agechau (1985)
Last Cabaret (1988)
Summer Vacation 1999 (1988)
Who Do I Choose? (1989)
Hong Kong Paradise (1990)
My Soul Is Slashed (1991)
No Worries on the Recruit Front (1991)
Graduation Journey: I Came from Japan (1993)
Necronomicon (Segment "The Cold") (1993)
It's a Summer Vacation Everyday (1994)
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)
Gamera 2: Attack of Legion (1996)
Haunted School 3 (1997)
Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)
Pyrokinesis (2000)
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
Azumi 2: Death or Love (2005)
Death Note (2006)
God's Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand (2006)
Death Note 2: The Last Name (2006)
Pride (2009)
Messiah (2011)
The Centenarian Clock (2012)
The Sacrifice Dilemma (2013)
Jellyfish (2013)
Danger Dolls (2014)
Scanner (2016)
Linking Love (2017)
Matchmaking Cruise (2017)
Xi Bo Li Ya feng yun (2018)
Damn, i missed a lot of his work then lol. Glad to see he's still working hard on movies even after GMK!

Yeah i'd totally be open to him returning, even if i'd prefer the next Gamera movie didn't have anything to do with the Heisei trilogy.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:35 am As I’ve said before, Gamera can’t survive on a Japan only style release. The character doesn’t sell toys like Ultraman or Godzilla either. For Gamera to survive, and not just a one and done, Kadakowa needs to make it broader... release it in China.. get a limited theatrical release in the United States.

I want Gamera to come back, but it can’t be done in a traditional sense.
Why? No literally, why can't it survive as a Japan only style release? Budgeted right, such films are profitable. Even without toys, Japanese movies make enough profit in Japan to survive all the time, even today. So, what makes Gamera the exception? Why is it suddenly impossible in his case to do so?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I'd love to see more of his work but I think Kaneko is largely known for these -
Filmmaker Shusuke Kaneko is perhaps best known to genre fans for his acclaimed 1990s trilogy GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE, GAMERA 2: ATTACK OF LEGION, and GAMERA 3: REVENGE OF IRYS, as well as his revisionist take on the king of monsters, GODZILLA, MOTHRA, AND KING GHIDORAH, GIANT MONSTERS ALL-OUT ATTACK, and for episodes of ULTRAMAN MAX and ULTRA Q: DARK FANTASY. But this is just one aspect of a wide-ranging, award-winning career that also includes the thriller PYROKINESIS, the hit manga adaptations DEATH NOTE and DEATH NOTE 2, and forays into sci-fi, horror, action, comedy, and musicals.
Source

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Sorry if it seems like I’m posting this topic all around the forum. I can’t help it. It’s on my mind now.

But the more I think about it... is the Heisei Gamera trilogy responsible for creating the female-led kaiju film?

From memory, all previous Toho and Daiei kaiju films had either ensemble casts (Gojira, Godzilla vs Biollante, and Guardian of the Universe for instance) or men in the role of protagonist (Godzilla Raids Again, Son of Godzilla, or Return of Godzilla).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Attack of Legion was the first to really place a female lead in the spotlight, as the primary protagonist, followed shortly after and to even more noticeable effect with Revenge of Iris.

Just kinda neat to think about.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KK42 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:04 pm Sorry if it seems like I’m posting this topic all around the forum. I can’t help it. It’s on my mind now.

But the more I think about it... is the Heisei Gamera trilogy responsible for creating the female-led kaiju film?

From memory, all previous Toho and Daiei kaiju films had either ensemble casts (Gojira, Godzilla vs Biollante, and Guardian of the Universe for instance) or men in the role of protagonist (Godzilla Raids Again, Son of Godzilla, or Return of Godzilla).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Attack of Legion was the first to really place a female lead in the spotlight, as the primary protagonist, followed shortly after and to even more noticeable effect with Revenge of Iris.

Gamera 2 felt so much like an everyone problem I didn't even notice who the lead was in that film. It was the news reporter lady right?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I think Gamera Super Monster may be the first to do that. The kid is the only male lead, with the leader of the space women and Kilara being the primary non kaiju heroine and villainess.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:16 pm I think Gamera Super Monster may be the first to do that. The kid is the only male lead, with the leader of the space women and Kilara being the primary non kaiju heroine and villainess.
Aw, shit, I always forget about that movie’s existence.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Well, is Miki the lead in Spacegodzilla?

It does feel like the Gamera trilogy established the trend of Kaiju movies having female leads, which was carried over into the Millennium Godzilla films.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:15 pm
KK42 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:04 pm Sorry if it seems like I’m posting this topic all around the forum. I can’t help it. It’s on my mind now.

Gamera 2 felt so much like an everyone problem I didn't even notice who the lead was in that film. It was the news reporter lady right?
There's no reporter in the main cast of G2. I believe KK42 is referring to Honami (Miki Mizuno), who is a science teacher. Although it is Col. Watarase (Toshiyuki Ngashima) who has top billing, Honami is the more consistent audience POV character, and tends to be the one who puts the pieces together to figure out the problems/solutions.

That said, it's still largely an ensemble movie; it's not like Honami has a central arc that propels the narrative like a Hollywood protagonist.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

"Arcs" in a Western sense are less common in foreign movies... at least that's how it seems to me. We're talking about drawing from different storytelling traditions, right?

In ensemble kaiju movies it's more about accomplishing tasks via the collective action of the humans, as opposed to the characters' internal change or growth. The internal struggle tends to be everyone's striving to do their best or in some way contribute.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Angilasman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 pm "Arcs" in a Western sense are less common in foreign movies... at least that's how it seems to me. We're talking about drawing from different storytelling traditions, right?

In ensemble kaiju movies it's more about accomplishing tasks via the collective action of the humans, as opposed to the characters' internal change or growth. The internal struggle tends to be everyone's striving to do their best or in some way contribute.
I certainly was not suggesting that Honami's lack of an "arc" was any kind of failing of the movie. That difference in cultural norms/expectations is part of why I specifically used the term "Hollywood protagonist."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Oh, I didn't take it as s slight! It just happened to tie-in with stuff I was already thinking about recently.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

In case you missed it - Gamera vs Jiger will be featured in Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 13.
That's right – MST3K is riffing another Gamera movie!

And not just any Gamera movie: Gamera vs. Jiger is by far the most ambitious and outrageous Gamera I’ve ever seen in my long life of movie riffing.

For starters, the setting is not only a tropical island which has it own kaiju god named Jiger – a brownish greyish triceratops that shoots poisonous quills from her face – but also at the 1970 World’s Fair in Suita, Osaka Prefecture, Japan, which is going on at the same time!

So yeah, you’re gonna get some fights on the land, sea, sky, and at the World’s Fair all featuring the flying turtle taking on Jiger... but then, one of Jiger's darts causes Gamera to fall asleep and turn gray, after which he ends up submerged in the ocean with his mouth hanging open. Then, two ambitious kids drive a mini-sub into Gamera's mouth, and fight a baby Jiger that’s living inside Gamera like a virus. And then more things happen, but I kinda lose track at that point.
Let's Make More MST3K & Build The Gizmoplex!

‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ Raises Over $6.5 Million for Season 13, Online Theater

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

They need to riff on super monster
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?