General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by king_ghidorah »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:03 pm Go full Ultraman tier with it and have him be brought into existence by the collective imaginations of children.
I love this

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

king_ghidorah wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:40 am
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:03 pm Go full Ultraman tier with it and have him be brought into existence by the collective imaginations of children.
I love this
That's not going full Ultraman, that's going Gamera Super Monster and cranking it up to 11.

I love Gamera the Brave (though I prefer the Japanese title of Little Braves: Gamera) and I really wish that was the new Gamera series. Watching Gamera grow into a more fearsome monster, new crazy Showa style kaiju, and grounded coming of age stories to root each film.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

I find Gamera The Brave very underrated.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:53 pm I find Gamera The Brave very underrated.
I'll do you one better.

I find Gamera The Brave very underrated.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

:g2k: Which Gamera Kaiju had the best death scene? :g2k:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gojira1604 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:20 am :g2k: Which Gamera Kaiju had the best death scene? :g2k:
Space Gyaos.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Space Gyaos is objectively the correct answer, but Super Gyaos and Legion are solid runners-up.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Gojira1604 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:20 am :g2k: Which Gamera Kaiju had the best death scene? :g2k:
Personally, Iris.

Super Gyaos was a nice nod to westerns and while Legion tanking a mana beam was epic, the "Oh sh*t" reaction of Iris to the Mana fist before the explosion and camera trembling shockwave is my personal favorite.
Last edited by Greyshot151 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree about Iris.

Guiron having his head blown off is also a memorable death scene.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Barugon and Gyaos get violently dragged into water and a volcano respectably. Viras, in what looks like a winning move, is trapped before Gamera freezes and then shatters him in the atmosphere. Guiron having a missile stuck into his skull, then Gamera firing his flame breath at it and exploding is pretty cool. Jiger is impaled with the demon whistle.

Come to think of it, Gamera films on average might have more memorable conclusions to their fights and films. I think the worst is Zigra.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That defeat really calls for another category; Most humiliating death.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

My most mixed death is Jiger's. One hand: that's it? Just throws the statue into her head? Other hand: something to be said for the sheer practicality and suddenness.
Most humiliating. Either Guiron, stuck upside-down, or Zigra, xelephon pre-death humiliation.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I won’t be surprised if Kadokawa just decides to let Gamera go PD if they can’t make money off of the character.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gamera kaiju really do have humiliating deaths, come to think of it. They’re just pretty pathetic in general to be honest. Maybe not as cruel as other humiliating kills, like the brutal beating of King Ghidorah in DAM, but like… they got out stupidly.

Just wish Zigra got a death worthy of being laughed at.
For Emperor and Empire!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Are you kidding? Sure the execution is boring but practical but the lead up and overall defeat is humiliating. Horn stuck on a rock thus immobile, tortured with Gamera playing his theme on his back ridges with a rock creating a Xylophone sound. Then finally sweet release of death.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:53 pm I find Gamera The Brave very underrated.
I've always quite liked GTB, and I believe its lukewarm reception is due to it succeeding the beloved Heisei trilogy while returning to being more of a "family-friendly" and less "dark" Gamera movie. Simlarly, if Toho were to make another Son of Godzilla-style movie as the next major Godzilla film, it'd be hated by a large chunk of fans no matter how good it was as a movie.

Either way, I think GTB is definitely as good as Kaneko's movies, even if I prefer the tone and overall approach of the Kaneko trilogy.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tohosaurus wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:28 pm
I've always quite liked GTB, and I believe its lukewarm reception is due to it succeeding the beloved Heisei trilogy while returning to being more of a "family-friendly" and less "dark" Gamera movie. Simlarly, if Toho were to make another Son of Godzilla-style movie as the next major Godzilla film, it'd be hated by a large chunk of fans no matter how good it was as a movie.

Either way, I think GTB is definitely as good as Kaneko's movies, even if I prefer the tone and overall approach of the Kaneko trilogy.
In case you guys are interested, we had a lot of positive things to say about GTB when we covered it on G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/e ... 0503266737
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:41 pm In case you guys are interested, we had a lot of positive things to say about GTB when we covered it on G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/e ... 0503266737
I needed something to listen to on lunch at work, so I finally checked out an episode of this podcast. The KKvG episode, specifically, and I'm a little over half an hour in. Predictably, it's entertaining and insightful so far, and I've already learned a few behind the scenes tidbits. I'll definitely have to look into more episodes. Is Brendan a TK member, by the way?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:52 pm
eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:41 pm In case you guys are interested, we had a lot of positive things to say about GTB when we covered it on G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/e ... 0503266737
I needed something to listen to on lunch at work, so I finally checked out an episode of this podcast. The KKvG episode, specifically, and I'm a little over half an hour in. Predictably, it's entertaining and insightful so far, and I've already learned a few behind the scenes tidbits. I'll definitely have to look into more episodes. Is Brendan a TK member, by the way?
Thank you! Glad you're enjoying it!

Brendan is a TK member, but I don't know if he'd want me to share his identity, so I'll leave that to him if he feels like revealing himself.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

When am I supposed to be on that pod again? I have many brilliant and insightful thoughts to share with the world.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren