An American Gamera Movie: How should we do it?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: An American Gamera Movie: How should we do it?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Legendary Gojira wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:39 pm So we’re all in agreement that Gamera should be in the MonsterVerse? Good.
I’m with you

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

In all honesty I'd prefer it doesn't happen. I like Gamera, but it's just been too long for a dead IP t be revived.
For Emperor and Empire!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Voyager wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:43 pm In all honesty I'd prefer it doesn't happen. I like Gamera, but it's just been too long for a dead IP t be revived.
It's only been 15 years. The SW prequel series was 15 years after RotJ. First Star Trek film was 10 years after the original series ended. Godzilla's had his own hiatus for 10 years. Ultraman for 16 for 80 to Tiga in his home country. Not to mention, stuff like Shaft getting jump started (twice) after huge gaps and various television revivals after 15-20 and even nearly 30 year gaps (X-Men!)

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Not to mention the 15-year gap between Super Monster and Gamera GotU. And maybe even more pertinent: Kadokawa just this year produced and released a sequel to a 2005 movie (itself a reboot of a tokusatu property that had been dormant since 1969).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:54 am
Voyager wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:43 pm In all honesty I'd prefer it doesn't happen. I like Gamera, but it's just been too long for a dead IP t be revived.
It's only been 15 years. The SW prequel series was 15 years after RotJ. First Star Trek film was 10 years after the original series ended. Godzilla's had his own hiatus for 10 years. Ultraman for 16 for 80 to Tiga in his home country. Not to mention, stuff like Shaft getting jump started (twice) after huge gaps and various television revivals after 15-20 and even nearly 30 year gaps (X-Men!)
Man, really? It’s felt like decades out here.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

There's also the fact Hollywood has been apparently resurrecting unnecessary sequels of 80s/90s belated franchises like Bill & Ted, Coming To America, Jumanji (Unpopular opinion, I did not like the sequels and those movies would have been better off being their own IP), Matrix, slasher icons like Halloween and Scream for the sake of nostalgia. Not to say there have been exceptions like Blade Runner and Bad Boys and potentially Top Gun which seems like it might be promising.

To say the least, irrelevancy means jack**** at this point.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:07 am There's also the fact Hollywood has been apparently resurrecting unnecessary sequels of 80s/90s belated franchises like Bill & Ted, Coming To America, Jumanji (Unpopular opinion, I did not like the sequels and those movies would have been better off being their own IP), Matrix, slasher icons like Halloween and Scream for the sake of nostalgia.
TBF, Halloween 2018 nor Scream 2022 aren't reboots, and more so just continuations.. and i'd say Scream deserved another shot at the movies to begin with considering how AWFUL Scream 4 was.
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:51 amTBF, Halloween 2018 nor Scream 2022 are reboots.. and i'd say Scream deserved another shot at the movies to begin with considering how AWFUL Scream 4 was.
I'm of the opinion there are franchises need to stay dead (Looking at you Alien and Predator...) or just left alone as they are notably the ones from the 80s, 90s especially when ending on fine conclusions.

But that's a topic for another discussion so I'll just drop it here so we don't get off-topic.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:51 am
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:07 am There's also the fact Hollywood has been apparently resurrecting unnecessary sequels of 80s/90s belated franchises like Bill & Ted, Coming To America, Jumanji (Unpopular opinion, I did not like the sequels and those movies would have been better off being their own IP), Matrix, slasher icons like Halloween and Scream for the sake of nostalgia.
TBF, Halloween 2018 nor Scream 2022 aren't reboots, and more so just continuations.. and i'd say Scream deserved another shot at the movies to begin with considering how AWFUL Scream 4 was.
Halloween 2018 was dismissing previous developments in the series in order to return to the original version and start over from there. That's the definition of a reboot.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hm Halloween is kinda like the Godzilla series with different continuities now y'know? There's like the classic 1 through 5 I think, with 3 being the odd one. Then Halloween H20 just followed 1 and 2 I think. Then the previous one just followed the first I think? Or maybe it was the other way around.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:38 pm
Legendary Gojira wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:39 pm So we’re all in agreement that Gamera should be in the MonsterVerse? Good.
All except for Legion and the guy with the Netflix Anime Godzilla avatar. Legion's opinion is somewhat valid, but the anime trilogy... Naaaah bruh. :P

Don't report me, Vaks, I'm only messin'.
I just like how the trilogy's Godzilla looks...

:P

But seriously, I have lost all interest in the Monsterverse. It started out strong, but went in a direction I just don't want to see anything else in it any more. Unless GvK proves a fluke and future movies treat it like a mistake to be forgotten, and I don't see any universe where that happens, it's dead to me. So an American Gamera movie could be something that I could look forward to again, a big Hollywood special effects kaiju film I can actually watch and enjoy, but not if it gets roped into the franchise that made the only Godzilla film I truly regret watching. Then it'd be the same as if they still weren't making a Gamera movie for me. I don't just want a Gamera movie so I can see him on screen with Kong and Godzilla, I want him in a movie I think I might actually enjoy watching. And I don't trust the Monsterverse to deliver that for me, personally.

Can't we just be allowed to ask for a good Gamera Hollywood film, this Damn fixation on crossovers and shared universes be damned?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.