Magic: The Gathering

General discussion for all non-Toho, non-Kaiju collectibles!
SpanishBulldog63
Administrator
Administrator

Magic: The Gathering

Post by SpanishBulldog63 »

This thread was bound to happen. Got a favorite strategy, favorite format, or a favorite color/color pairing? Do you want to share decklists for thoughts and opinions. Then feel free to share and discuss all things MTG here!

Myself? I've been an avid Commander player for almost a decade, and if there's one thing I love you do the most, it's throw big dumb monsters at people. Of course I use other types of decks, but generally If it has red/green, I'm piloting it. Will update with my decklists at some point today.
NSZ wrote:Well thanks, GVJ, now I can't not picture Sal being voiced by Geoff Ramsey. :lol:
"-what they don't know won't hurt 'em... until they're dead."
Resized Image

Mixtape Nostalgia
Yojimbo

Re: Magic: The Gathering

Post by Mixtape Nostalgia »

I don't play many card games but some friends of mine do and they showed me some of the Godzilla cards which I thought was awesome.

master_of_monsters
Gotengo Officer

Post by master_of_monsters »

Never really played in a tournament because all of my decks are made from old sets (and if I did they'd honestly be broken af) but I'm a green/blue monster maker. I grow small pikachu size critters into towering giants. I also had a pure black deck designed to piss the other player off as much as possible but gave it to my uncle
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction

Diablos
Ronin

Post by Diablos »

I'm a huge commander fan too. My preferred strategy is to swarm with tokens and small creatures. I love playing the little guy, and with cheap removal and taxing effects like Thorn of Amethyst it's surprisingly easy to keep the big threats off the field. Not to mention good old Armageddon to even the playing field (Yes I am a terrible person). Favorite color combinations are probably black/red and green/white. My friends joke that we fit into the aggro/control/combo triangle, with me being the aggro player.

Star Falcon
Yojimbo

Post by Star Falcon »

I play Commander also - I have 7 decks with varying degrees of power/focus:

Rakdos the Showstopper
Nicol Bolas the Ravager
Meren of Clan Nel Toth
Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait
Halana & Alena (Partners)
K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
Kaalia of the Vast

Game time has been diminished over the past year for obvious reasons, however my playgroup have been using spelltable which works as a good subsitute and usually get together one evening a week. I also picked up the Godzilla cards from last year of course ;) planning to get them framed at some point but for now they are just sat in a binder.

SpanishBulldog63
Administrator
Administrator

Post by SpanishBulldog63 »

I'm annoyed at myself for not having the time to get full playsets of those Godzilla promos last year.
master_of_monsters wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:18 pm Never really played in a tournament because all of my decks are made from old sets (and if I did they'd honestly be broken af) but I'm a green/blue monster maker. I grow small pikachu size critters into towering giants. I also had a pure black deck designed to piss the other player off as much as possible but gave it to my uncle
I've been debating for a while on who I want running my sea monster tribal deck: Arixmethes or Imoti. The Mono-Black was ol Skittles, wasn't it? That's the first commander to come to mind as a pain in the ass in Black.

Diablos wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:00 am I'm a huge commander fan too. My preferred strategy is to swarm with tokens and small creatures. I love playing the little guy, and with cheap removal and taxing effects like Thorn of Amethyst it's surprisingly easy to keep the big threats off the field. Not to mention good old Armageddon to even the playing field (Yes I am a terrible person). Favorite color combinations are probably black/red and green/white. My friends joke that we fit into the aggro/control/combo triangle, with me being the aggro player.
I'm newer to go-wide strategies. Before C19 and C20, the closest I ran to go-wide was Gishath. As far as favorite color pairs, I'm right in the middle with Red/Green (GRUUL OR DIE!) I had a decklist a couple years ago for Numot Land Destruction Tribal, so don't feel too bad about that Armageddon lol. Good to see other groups have that triangle, cause in my old group I was aggro/stomp king. Love the username btw.
Star Falcon wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 am I play Commander also - I have 7 decks with varying degrees of power/focus:

Rakdos the Showstopper
Nicol Bolas the Ravager
Meren of Clan Nel Toth
Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait
Halana & Alena (Partners)
K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
Kaalia of the Vast
Nice. I've played against all of those except for Aesi, Halana/Alena, and K'rrik but they look like fun matchups. My friend's Meren deck was the bane of my existence, cause I'm mostly a very creature-heavy player and his toolbox/staxy build bent them over unless I had some form of graveyard hate (usually Ground Seal).

As for the commanders I run?

Nekusar, the Mindrazer
Xenagos, God of Revels (my pride and joy)
The Ur Dragon
Edgar Markov (MIA, probably still in one of our totes when we moved)
Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma
Ghired, Conclave Exile
Xyris, the Writhing Storm (incomplete atm)
Last edited by SpanishBulldog63 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSZ wrote:Well thanks, GVJ, now I can't not picture Sal being voiced by Geoff Ramsey. :lol:
"-what they don't know won't hurt 'em... until they're dead."
Resized Image