The Superior 8 Ultra Brothers

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

The Superior 8 Ultra Brothers

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

FINALLY, after only watching the movie without subs for over a decade now, I finally got the recent MillCreek release and was hoping that seeing it with subs would now answer my questions and make sense about the plot...

And nope.

I get the whole aspect being reused from the Gaia movie where the franchise exists in this alternate universe as actual TV shows
But then begs the question why the actual hosts have basic human jobs and nobody recognizes them. But when Mebius is transferred to it, the people recognize him as Mirai. Not even the main characters recognize Hayata and crew as the original brothers despite watching them when the show debuted in 1966... Which is also 6 years before Daigo's actor was even born. Which would make him in his 50s in the film which clearly isn't the case. And then the end, with the classic Showa jets flying beside Gamu and Daigo's flying ship... It makes no f'n sense.

This whole movie is more confusing than GvKG's time travel.

The monsters are great though. I like King Goldras and Silvagon a lot more than what I remembered. Still wish they were more like the original versions in attitude, but I love their scenes. Gesura and Pandon have never looked so good. And seeing the Heisei and Showa heroes, plus Mebius, lined up is a thing of beauty.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Re: The Superior 8 Ultra Brothers

Post by Saturndusk »

Sketchiness of plot aside, it’s definitely a feel-good movie to watch to me, having just watched it for the first time.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

It's just that. A fun movie, no logic to it. It's about Celebrating Ultraman as a franchise. It's also I last time you see pretty my uch all the alter ego actors together. A few of them make additional appearances in other films and movies, but this is the BIG one. This is the "5 Doctors" of the Ultraman franchise, but instead you get 8. 😉.

I just kind of wish they hadn't used stock footage from the previous Mebius film, as I've heard so many people mistakenly refer to this as a Mebius film, or a Tiga film. It's none of those so much as a celebration of everything up to that point.

I especially feel sorry for those watching this who haven't seen the Mebius movie that preceded it. I'd imagine it would be far more confusing that way.

The Mebius & Ulta Brothers film is great in its own right, and is a proper in universe story.

Superior 8 Bris is just a one off multiverse type story, but is still fun to watch.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Having rewatched it with this Blu-ray for the first time in many years, I had to chuckle at the obscene amount of money thrown at the screen for Marvel to build their multiverse with state of the art VFX in comparison to this film’s acceptance of the premise at an extreme fraction of the budget.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

o.supreme wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:12 am It's just that. A fun movie, no logic to it. It's about Celebrating Ultraman as a franchise. It's also I last time you see pretty my uch all the alter ego actors together. A few of them make additional appearances in other films and movies, but this is the BIG one. This is the "5 Doctors" of the Ultraman franchise, but instead you get 8. 😉.

I just kind of wish they hadn't used stock footage from the previous Mebius film, as I've heard so many people mistakenly refer to this as a Mebius film, or a Tiga film. It's none of those so much as a celebration of everything up to that point.

I especially feel sorry for those watching this who haven't seen the Mebius movie that preceded it. I'd imagine it would be far more confusing that way.

The Mebius & Ulta Brothers film is great in its own right, and is a proper in universe story.

Superior 8 Bris is just a one off multiverse type story, but is still fun to watch.
Interestingly enough, I decided to watch The Tenth Planet afterwards as I live had it for years but my interest in DW wasn’t as strong as it had been.

The celebration idea is always good as long as it doesn’t get overdone every couple years. Which I hopefully want to see something done for the 10 year anniversary of Ginga/New Gen Era.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

While I haven't seen the Taiga movie yet, from the previews and snippets I've seen, it seems to be just that. Everyone from Ginga to Taiga appears. Although it is only 7 series/ 7 years being celebrated, it's basically the end of the " new heroes" era. What started with Z and continues with Trigger and Decker is something new.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!