Official “Ultraman Tiga” Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: Official “Ultraman Tiga” Thread

Post by Angilasman »

Checking random episodes - despite being filmed on videotape the picture looks better than the previous two DVD sets. The Ultraman had very noticeable compression issues, and Ultraman 80 slightly less but still noticeable issues on the same lines (it's a pun because the visual flaws look kinda like horizontal lines). Not seeing that on Tiga! Looks good. High hopes for further sets.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Angilasman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:43 pm Ultraman 80 slightly less but still noticeable issues on the same lines (it's a pun because the visual flaws look kinda like horizontal lines).
Sounds like some sort of obvious video (as in video tape) damage. Very disappointing.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:34 am
Angilasman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:43 pm Ultraman 80 slightly less but still noticeable issues on the same lines (it's a pun because the visual flaws look kinda like horizontal lines).
Sounds like some sort of obvious video (as in video tape) damage. Very disappointing.
It's more like looking through the image through a (very subtle) mesh, and I'm pretty sure it's a compression issue. It looks like (a more subtle version of) the artifacts you got on those cheapo sets with four or five movies on one disc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings. This list may not be perfect, but I tried to make a comprehensive comparison between the previous Funimation DVD Release of Ultraman Tiga, and the Current Mill Creek one. That being said, neither version is really as "complete" most fans would like. Oddly enough, there is a Brazilian Blu Ray set I've seen that *might* be a better option than either of these (of which I already own both). It's not too expensive, but I'll probably wait a couple weeks and think it over.

I did not make a category for Video presentation quality, as they both appear to me to be visually identical. I'm sure someone with a more advanced TV set up may be able to confirm otherwise.

Last edited by o.supreme on Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Bout to start the series, and I just so happened to come across a Funimation vol. 1 at the bookstore today! In addition, I've ordered Funi's vol. 4 online for a few bucks because I know there's an iconic bit in the finale where 'Take Me Higher' comes in during a crucial scene and that's gone in Mill Creek's...

What other episodes heavily use the song? The picture quality on MC's is a bit better, so I'm gonna attempt a best of both worlds viewing.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Almost every episode has some instrumental version that is replaced with other instrumental music on the MC version. But I recently watched episodes 19-26 (most of Funi's volume 2, not all of it though), and I cant recall specifically which episodes, but I know the actual opening theme (singing) version of "Take Me Higher" appears at least 3 times in that span of episodes, perhaps more...
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Ooooh, but Funi's release lacks those killer bumpers and next episode previews. Also, MC's subs seem a bit better. Similar across releases, but it looks to me like Funi's simplifies the dialog a bit. Overall, I'd say that combined with the better picture quality that the new release is superior even with the loss of the iconic song.

The coolest thing about the Funi DVD is that it has the 4Kids opening and explanatory bumpers as extras! Major nostalgia!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Man that 4kids opening takes me back :lol: Doesn't take me higher but it certainly takes me down memory lane. I had completely forgot about that one rap song they played sometimes. Thanks kaijushitposting for your ever lasting based wisdom.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I've seen folks say 4Kids didn't dub all of Tiga because ir was canceled partway through, but I have a memory, maybe a false memory, of the 4Kids dub of the series finale playing in the screening room of G-Fest 2004.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Angilasman wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:13 am I've seen folks say 4Kids didn't dub all of Tiga because ir was canceled partway through, but I have a memory, maybe a false memory, of the 4Kids dub of the series finale playing in the screening room of G-Fest 2004.
Do you post on blu-ray.com by chance? Just a day or two, someone was asking about additional episodes of the 4Kids dub for TIGA. Everything I've read online says only half the series was dubbed, and that's what I remember seeing on TV. I even remember seeing the episode that was 2 episodes edited together (that was REALLY bad), but of course, if all the dubs do exist, it would be neat to know at least they were done, even if TPC will never let them see the light of day again.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I lurk there. Seeing that (a claim I've heard before) got me thinking about it.

Maybe it's a created memory. Maybe they were just showing the finale in Japanese. But my memory is of ducking into the screening room for a few minutes and going "huh, I guess they dubbed the entire series."

Bluebaron
Ronin

Post by Bluebaron »

Supposedly 4kids aired later episodes of their dub and their prototype merchandise at G-fest X.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Oooh, interesting.

Bluebaron
Ronin

Post by Bluebaron »

I'm am trying to recover the 4 missing dub episodes that are on Fox Box which deals with the monsters gakuma, REGULON, Makeena, and giranbo. I wish those episodes would resurface as they are currently lost media. I still believe 4kids dubbed the whole series as the actor of Rena told me she dubbed 2 seasons worth of material. I wish Tsuburaya would stream it for a limited time or release it on SD Blu-ray.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Is one of the old broadcast episodes available the one where 2 episodes were edited together? If you ever saw that one, you'd understand why it might be impossible. Besides, even if the dub work was done for the whole series, there's no guarantee it was edited and finalized.

A lot of ADR work can end up on a cutting room floor, or even lost completely just like actual filmed scenes

Bluebaron
Ronin

Post by Bluebaron »

Yes, the last episode of 4kids Tiga that aired was the one that had two eps put together but I still think they mastered everything together, probably because of contractual obligations and they wanted to sell their version to other countries such as they did for their dubs. Brazil apparently was going to translate the 4kids version. I have a magazine article that says that but it did not come in fruition.

An animation world network article says 4kids was still trying to sell their version of Tiga internationally in 2004 which makes me believe it was completely finished.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Finished the main series last night finally. I forgot how good this show was. I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that during the flower episode they changed one of the lines from the 4Kids release. In that release they had a line that went something like "The prettiest flowers have the cruelest thorns" which added to the poetic vibe the episode put off. I forgot what the line is on the Mill Creek release is.

Going to watch the special tonight on the disc then I'll be done with the Mill Creek release.

Speaking of Tiga when should someone watch Final Odyssey? I was thinking before starting Dyna or should I watch it after Gaia considering it did come out in 2000?
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Final Odyssey chronologically takes place a year after Tiga( before Dyna). So now would be a good time to watch it if you have access to it.

Bluebaron
Ronin

Post by Bluebaron »

I've been watching the uncut Tiga dub in Spanish recently. I wish this would get a physical release too, but that seems to be a pipe dream as well.

Bluebaron
Ronin

Post by Bluebaron »

So I was watching the Ultraman Tiga episode 44 with the Evil Tiga and noticed text in buildings during the giant fight scene. 4kids released an evil Tiga promo and it's on their Tiga DVD set 4 and in their footage the building text is painted away which again leads credence that they dubbed way more of the series if not all of it. I wish Tsuburaya would just release it.