Official “Ultraman Tiga” Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Official “Ultraman Tiga” Thread

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Surprised this thread hasn’t been made yet.

Finished Tiga recently, loved it from start to finish. It’s a classic for a reason. Compelling characters, intriguing and varied monster designs, and real fun action.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Official “Ultraman Tiga” Thread

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Watched it twice, loved it each time. Waiting for the eventual BR release to watch it again.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I only have the first, second and fourth volumes of the old DVD releases, so I've seen 75% of the show. I felt like it got a lot better as it went along, so I'm sorry that I've missed so much of the second half, and am very eager to pick up the eventual Mill Creek release and fill in that gap.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Been making my way through Ultraman Tiga in preparation for Trigger. I got to the first big two parter, with the Gobnu robots and the mechanical island. While I think the two-parter was lacking on some regards, I really liked the idea of the "mechanical island" and the mystery surrounding the Gobnu.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

What are the plot-relevant/highlight episodes of Tiga? I would watch the whole show but I don't really have time on my side currently.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:37 pm What are the plot-relevant/highlight episodes of Tiga? I would watch the whole show but I don't really have time on my side currently.
I haven't finished the series, but presumably the first episode (with Melba and Golza, Episode 18 with Fire Golza. 19 and 20 introduce the ArtDessi, which NurseDessi might be a reference to. I think so far everything will be enjoyable on it's own though.

Just watched the Silvergon episode. Pretty good, but one issue is a lot of these just feel like re-hashed old Ultraman episodes with a Heisei paint coat.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Alright, I'm about 10 episodes in. I'm at the one where the monster is targeting children's adrenochrome growth hormones in the amusement park, and I think I really like Tiga, now that I'm watching from jump.
It's so cool how much like '66 the show feels. They knew what to twist to make it fresh, as far as the design aesthetic and story, but the DNA is very much there.
A good example is the kaiju- they have new and contemporary designs, often hueing more on the horror side, but they all still act like Ultra kaiju.
Tiga himself is awesome, and I love the cast of characters so far.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The Ultra series should get another female captain of an anti-monster attack crew. Iruma has really grown on me as a character.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

So I finished the series but somehow missed episode 44. As I watch it now, it's become my favorite example of an "evil Ultra" story, because of Guardie. After watching Nexus' show I've been thinking how cool it would be to see an evil Ultra fight a good kaiju!
How cool would it have been if Guardie and King Molerat came back in the finale with an assist for Tiga?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

According to CNN, Ultraman Tiga was recently banned in China. While the article makes some silly errors (putting it under an umbrella term of animation) it seems to be reliable and coincides with a lot of cultural crackdowns. I wonder why Ultraman Tiga was singled out.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/27/medi ... index.html

You'd normally just see Ultraman banned or something. I'm also curious for the rhetoric behind this ban, but it's pretty easy to guess: Ultraman is a popular Japanese property, that has heavy inspiration from catholicism and things like Superman. I wonder if there's any specific episode that perturbed them enough to ban it, or if it's just a sacrificial lamb. While the Ultraman franchise has often gotten political, and discussed sensitive issues, I don't recall any sort of Ultraman episode that would particularly piss them off.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:22 pm According to CNN, Ultraman Tiga was recently banned in China. While the article makes some silly errors (putting it under an umbrella term of animation) it seems to be reliable and coincides with a lot of cultural crackdowns. I wonder why Ultraman Tiga was singled out.

You'd normally just see Ultraman banned or something. I'm also curious for the rhetoric behind this ban, but it's pretty easy to guess: Ultraman is a popular Japanese property, that has heavy inspiration from catholicism and things like Superman. I wonder if there's any specific episode that perturbed them enough to ban it, or if it's just a sacrificial lamb. While the Ultraman franchise has often gotten political, and discussed sensitive issues, I don't recall any sort of Ultraman episode that would particularly piss them off.
Considering China's forced cancellation of Metal Kaiser from TPC, their attempts at stealing Ultraman while supporting Chaiyo and their general, all around BS.

Who fucking cares at this point.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:22 pm According to CNN, Ultraman Tiga was recently banned in China. While the article makes some silly errors (putting it under an umbrella term of animation) it seems to be reliable and coincides with a lot of cultural crackdowns. I wonder why Ultraman Tiga was singled out.

Apparently, it was banned for violence. I guess it got unbanned even recentlier because there's a clip going around of some clips from episode 1 that have been recut to exclude particular scenes like Melba getting killed and certain shots of the two destroying the ancient statues. That latter censorship is a bit questionable but keep in mind, this is the same government who banned Winnie the Pooh because people think their leader looks like him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Violence just feels like an excuse, and makes zero context in any culture. "Oh my God, melba died, now the kids will be evil".
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:15 pm
Who skreeonking cares at this point.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about how there has been many blatant stealing of the Ultraman franchise in China and they haven't done anything. To be clear, none of this is surprising. I just thought it was interesting that Ultraman was singled out.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Just doing a little comparison between the Funimation DVD and MC now that I have it. Video Quality seems to be comparable for both, no real difference that I can tell in the MC set, same goes for audio. The subtitles seem to be based on the Funimaiton ones, but cleaned up and simplified a bit. Also all onscreen text seems to have been scrubbed from the Funimaiton ones, whereas on the MC ones it is present and translated, which is nice. MC ones might be timesd a little bit better and easier to read. As for accuracy I'm not sure. back in 2004 Funimaiton may have tried to keep the subtitles more "kid friendly" avoiding strong language. Obviously the opening sequence "Take Me Higher" has been replaced by another song on the MC set, and for some odd reason, MC retains the sponsor break at the opening, without any audio or text. Both opening and closing songs have translations on the MC set, and the next episode previews which Funimation does not have.

*edit* so I just decided to sample another episode and watched #7. Oh man, this is interesting... I *joked* a couple weeks ago that they wouldn't actually remove instrumental versions of "Take Me Higher" , but it looks like they actually do! Once Daigo transforms into Tiga to fight Alien Reguran, near the windmills there is about an 80 second sequence where the instrumental version is replaced with other music.

I'm not sure now if the slightly improved subtitles on the MC version are even worth it? Glad I kept my Funimation DVDS!
Last edited by o.supreme on Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Well, replaced music was expected. Glad subs appear good and video quality is comparable!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I came across this and thought it was pretty funny.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Does anyone know if "Take Me Higher" has been replaced for the show's streaming on Tsuburaya Imagination?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:09 pm Does anyone know if "Take Me Higher" has been replaced for the show's streaming on Tsuburaya Imagination?
Why would it be removed? Did TsuPro get into a fight with V6?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Also it was discovered "Take Me Higher" is somehow the opening for episodes 3 and 4 on disc 1. I checked all the episodes on disc 2 and 6 myself and didn't find any other occurrences. I'll check the others later.

*edit* so I haven't had a chance to check all the discs yet, but I've decided I just cant watch the series with the music changes as they are. For anyone who hasn't seen Tiga, it wont be a big deal, but I figured at first missing the opening "Take Me Higher" wouldn't be that bad, especially since I have my Funimation DVD's, but since the version provided to MC has the instrumental versions in pretty much every occurance during an episode removed and replaced with other music, it changes the tone of the show quite a bit. I've decided I just cannot watch it this way, especially as emotional as the ending is. Imagine watching Luke stare off into the Twin Suns without John William's classic score in the Original Star Wars.

I know other Mill Creek releases (Ginga?), had music changes as well, but aside from the original Ultraman; Tiga and Mebius are the ones I've watched the most and am very familiar with. If ever we get an upscaled BRD down the line from Mill Creek, hopefully it has all the original Music, otherwise, this just sits on my shelf, and if ever I want to watch Tiga, I'll be using the Funimation DVDs.
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 pm
MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:09 pm Does anyone know if "Take Me Higher" has been replaced for the show's streaming on Tsuburaya Imagination?
Why would it be removed? Did TsuPro get into a fight with V6?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.