Ultra Galaxy: MEGA MONSTER BATTLE! - The Thread - Seasons 1 & 2

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Ultra Galaxy: MEGA MONSTER BATTLE! - The Thread - Seasons 1 & 2

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

What with the sets just getting a release in the US, I figured its about time we get to talking about this one. The series that TRULY got me invested in the Ultra franchise. I love everything about it, from the fights to the cast. It was just at the start of the whole "buy this toy!" gimmick the franchise was going, so it isn't as in your face as stuff like Ginga to now. Just finished Season 1 and now onto Season 2.

And for those that have had access to this series for years, if not a decade now, I think this truly is the end of an era. No longer will we have to rely on subtitles that gave us the wonderful Jingu Bridge subtitle for King Joe Black.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Ultra Galaxy: MEGA MONSTER BATTLE! - The Thread - Seasons 1 & 2

Post by Legion1979 »

I always liked Ultraman just fine, but it was watching the Mega Monster Battle movie that jumpstarted my interest big time. It was thanks to this movie that I sought out the original 60s and 70s series on bootlegs and started buying the Bandai toys like crazy.

This movie and the series it's based on are the types of love letters to the classic stuff that I wish Godzilla could get.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:06 am I always liked Ultraman just fine, but it was watching the Mega Monster Battle movie that jumpstarted my interest big time. It was thanks to this movie that I sought out the original 60s and 70s series on bootlegs and started buying the Bandai toys like crazy.

This movie and the series it's based on are the types of love letters to the classic stuff that I wish Godzilla could get.
I think you and me are more alike than we think, Legion.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I mentioned this in the Blu Ray thread, but seeing as how these are the first series filmed on video that we are getting in HD they look amazing. I think the service to older fans started back in Max ( the firs reappearance of classic Kaiju), and went full steam ahead with Mebius which is why I love that series so much. Ultra Galaxy hits a lot of the same beats. I am enjoying it thoroughly. I would have watched it sooner, but I could never find quality fans subs. But that's all I'm the past.

Ultra Galaxy the movie might be my favorite thing ever. It has plenty of classic Ultraman. It concludes both Mebius and the crew of the Pendragons stories. You get Dyna for that Heisei connection, plus a new hero (Zero) and villain ( Belial) for the next decade. Plus tons of cameos!

The 2 later Zero films pale in comparison IMHO. I can't wait to finally see this film in HD quality. I've already binged through season 1, and am about half way through NEO
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Eleking must be a fan of the Matrix because HE JUST DID THE NEO KICK!!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Episode 6 of Never Ending Odyssey
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

oku
Yojimbo

Post by oku »

I got little annoyed by Ultraman kept texting Rei the same selfie every episode.
Last edited by oku on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

oku wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:02 am I got little annoyed by Ultraman kept texting Rei the same selfie every episode.
... What?

Quote of the Year:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I can't remember where I heard it but I thought I heard Mega Monster Battle was something of a caper for Ultraman Mebius...or was that something with Zero?
Mebius sounds like it ranks really high among fans so if I should hold off on something I want to know.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

oku wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:15 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0o7SMWG3MQ
Is there a reason you just polluted this thread with that walking cesspool?

Quote of the Year:

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:35 pm
oku wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:15 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0o7SMWG3MQ
Is there a reason you just polluted this thread with that walking cesspool?
Hey, that sounds harsh. It can't be that bad. Let me just check the link and see who it is....
oh no NO GOD NO KEEP IT AWAY FROM ME
I NEED A FUCKING ADULT

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm a little nervous to look. What is so bad about it?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:14 pm I'm a little nervous to look. What is so bad about it?
Its Kaiju no Kami.

Quote of the Year:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The name rings several bells but I can't remember what this guy's issues were.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:01 pm The name rings several bells but I can't remember what this guy's issues were.
He's an odd duck that got banned from TK like two years ago for saying some shit so off the wall the mods censored his posts. Plus, the only man I've ever seen with a combover worse that Donnie Tr*mp

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:01 pm The name rings several bells but I can't remember what this guy's issues were.
He went by Dr. Kain at the Monster Zero forum.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I don't see why you people would've wanted to boot Kaiju no Kami off from these forums. I just so happen to be friends with him on Youtube and If anything, whatever beef you had with him that got him kicked off was due to a misunderstanding.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Okay, conversation of Kaiju no Kami, either positive or negative, in this thread ends now. This topic is about Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle, not about our feelings on others off site.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Southern Mammoth
Ronin

Post by Southern Mammoth »

I first heard of and started taking an intreast in Ultraman around the time this series and it's movie had come out. Watching bit of it on youtube, as well as a random music video about Red King, are what got me intreasted in Ultraman to begin with. Sadly I gave up my intreast back then because the franchise felt so big, so incomplete online at the time and worsted of all so it and miss with any subbing that I just couldn't bring myself to watch much of it. Thankfully thats changed and I'm now a pretty big Ultraman fan.

I got the blu-rayfor my birthday this year and I have to say I was not disappointed. When I first watched the original Mill Creek Ultraman release, two of my faviort episodes were Lawless Monster Zone and Mystery Comet Tsuifon, two episodes in which there's a lot of fighting between just the monsters. So a whole series based around that idea was right up my ally. While I've only watched a few series so far, the variety of monsters was very good and the fights were all great. I was also rather impressed by the ambition of both seasons, as aside from interior locations it's all cgi and models. The caste are all very good, and while some complain about their development, compared to so Ultra series they really are not that bad and the style of story dose not allow for a lot of leeway that you find in more long running, earth bound stories told in most true ultraman series.

It's also rather shocked me that this series, despite it's supposed poor reception at the time, is still influencing the series today. Even now, over 12 years later, Reiblood and the Reionics still pop up from time to time beside the insanely popular Belial. On that note, despite his limited use Alien Reiblood might be my faviort villain from the franchise, and from my research, theere is no big bad in Ultraman quite like him. A close second is Belial, who instantly jumped the the front of the line of evil ultras, that and the fact that since Reiblood fused with him they are to a digree the same character, since the movie shows a scene in which Reiblood is goading Belial during his first attempted invasion.

The film itself is also very good, with my one only nit-pick being that Belial barely uses any of his own abilites, instead just using the Giga Battlenizer. Also while it was cool to see so many ultraman, even Powered, but since I have yet to watch many of their series yet I didn't quite get the same kick out of it more experienced fans likely get.