Official "Ultraman Trigger" Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Official "Ultraman Trigger" Thread

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Dracosaurian wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:28 pm I find Ultraman Z's STORAGE team the superior. (Except Yuka. Didn't like her.)
Yuka is a saint

Anyways I'm holding out on episode 2 until episode 3 is out. I'm willing to give them some time to iron out the kinks on Trigger. Wasn't the writer for Z that passed unexpectedly last year a writer for a lot of the recent series? I imagine if that's the case there's going to be trial and error.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Despite a few quibbles, I overall enjoyed episode 1, but MAN was episode 2 a mess. The whole revelation of
Spoiler:
the scientist kid both figuring out Kengo's identity and wanting to be the fabled guardian himself
had absolutely zero impact given we barely know the dude. Gymira was completely wasted (I would have rather they had used a more throwaway monster, like say Taiga's Segemegal), and as stated, I feel these Dark Giants are getting introduced too early on. Ideally, the second episode would have largely been focused on introducing the members of GUTS Select and their fighting Gymira, with Dargon appearing at the end as a cliffhanger. I feel the scientist kid spilling the beans should have come at least a few episodes in, get to know and dislike the guy (as he acts like a dick towards Kengo), so when his revelation occurs, we'll actually have some sort of emotional reaction. My only hope is the show has a LOT planned and needed to get all of this stuff out of the way with its limited runtime. Hopefully episode 3 is better. I'm excited for Gazort, if nothing else.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

OrnithopodaistheBest
GPN Volunteer

Post by OrnithopodaistheBest »

Spoiler:
Loved the underwater combat between Darrgon and Trigger. I also like how he transformed into his Power type, first by simply changing to full-body red color before buffing his physique out. I may be wrong but this and the first episode may represent the first instances of physically spoken, untranslated Ultra-language depicted onscreen.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Soo i'm only a couple episodes in on ep 3 buut.. that Metron dude is not giving me good vibes.

EDIT: Alright, done with the episode! And while i'm enjoying the show as a whole so far... i gotta admit it's flaws are becoming pretty apparent. I like Kengo, i like Akito, i like Yuna and her dad. But it's like, every other character in GUTS-Select was an afterthought. They're so cartoonish compared to everyone else, it's just weird. BUT, i'll save the rest of that for another time, about episode 3.
Spoiler:
Yuna and Yuzare kinda being one in the same caught me off gurard at first.. in hindsight, should've seen it coming though lol. Gazort was pretty nice, and i'm liking what i see of Ignis and Hudram so far! Interested to see where their characters go.

Also very curious to see what this Eternity Core is..
Last edited by Gigantis on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Spoiler:
Smile smile this, smile smile that, a smile smile for everyone!

Yeah, I'm getting tired of this

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Kengo: WHY WON'T HE SMILE SMILE!?!? *holding upper half of a corpse after a big battle*
Akito: Because he's dead stupid.
Kengo: *tearfully forced the corpses' lips into a smile* Smile...smile...*sob*
Akito: I can't help but notice you're not smiling smiling either.
Spoiler:
I thought that was pretty neat that Trigger didn't beat Hundam and GUTS-Select basically got the last hit in. I mean he wasn't defeated but the Nurse Cannon *snort* was pretty darn cool.
I dunno I kinda got a good feeling past a certain point the show will 'grow the beard' as tvtropes says.
I do like the fast battle and the weapon getting a bow mode. Not tired of Ultra weapons with bow modes yet.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Spoiler:
Oooh, it's not often we get to see a rise sequence from an outside view.

Added in 1 minute 58 seconds:
All Gazort did was float and that's what made Kengo decided he had to use Speed-Type?

Added in 2 minutes 3 seconds:
Why are Gazort's projectiles exploding in mid-air without hitting anything?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Well he wants to thaw the ice with Akito.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Spoiler:
Aaand done. Not a fan of how Darrgon and Hudram just feel like low-tier goons right now. I hope they havemore of a presence as the show goes on.

Anyways, ut's interesting that Okagubila seems to be summoned using a device similar to Aboras and Banila's prison.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think that Trigger could obtain another handheld weapon to go along with his circle arms?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Nanase is horrible. She screamed far too much and acted like a complete ass when the Falcon was attacking Gazort.
Making Akito a hs student too, is even more ridiculous.
Of course Gazort's big comeback is just to be a jobber for thirty seconds...

Not liking Trigger.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I make no secret of the fact that I'm generally not a fan of the Ultra series. But that said, I DO like Tiga, and that's basically the only reason I've even been giving Trigger a shot in the first place. Immediately, I wasn't really feeling it when I watched ep 1, but I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and watch a couple more episodes. So now here we are two weeks later with ep 3 out, and I think I can pretty confidently call it quits. It hasn't gotten any better. If anything it's gotten worse.

For one thing, every single one of the characters are either obnoxious or just... exist. Special honors go to Kengo for being particularly awful. Admittedly he wasn't so bad in ep 3, but that's probably because a good chunk of screen time was taken up by the pilot lady being a freaking spaz. I don't normally have a problem with characters being over-the-top and cartoony, but GOD are they irritating in this.

And speaking of irritating, that freaking announcer voice. Every single time Kengo/Trigger does something, that stupid voice has to rattle off the name in a cheesy, overdramatic fashion. Ugh.

There's also the blatant "BUY THE TOYS, KIDS!" feel of everything. Look, I get it, selling merch is a big part of modern Ultra series. That's fine. But it's one of the things I find most off-putting about Ultra series, and Trigger seems like an especially bad case of it. All of the gear, weapons, and vehicles literally just LOOK like toys. Like they're not even trying. I'm fine with shows being toy commercials (I'm a Gundam fan, after all), but at least put in some damn effort, y'know?

I'm also not a fan of a lot of the camerawork during the fight scenes, but that's a relatively minor nitpick compared to everything else.

So yeah, I'm out. I might watch an ep here and there if they feature a returning kaiju I like and it doesn't just shamefully job like poor Gazort did in this latest ep, but I'm not gonna follow the series as a whole going forward.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:09 pm Nanase is horrible. She screamed far too much and acted like a complete ass when the Falcon was attacking Gazort.
Making Akito a hs student too, is even more ridiculous.
Of course Gazort's big comeback is just to be a jobber for thirty seconds...

Not liking Trigger.
Honestly, I'm right there with ya. Like, the premise of this show was solid: what if the Dark Giants were actually present & relevant in Tiga from the start, and not just post-show enemies made for the movie?

But damn if this show don't feel like a big step backwards in quality so far. Characters with annoying quirks, monsters once again seem relegated to the role of interchangeable fodder with zero plot significance, confusing world-building (hopefully will get rectified, but I ain't holding my breath), an alien on the team just because (whose point in existing is what again...?), Bandai's mandated toy gimmick is once again on display in an obnoxious way, and honestly the Nu-Dark Giants all feel rather flat thus far (again, plenty of time for this to change, but again...) (Carmeara ain't got shit on Camearra).

Honestly, after Z, this is kinda embarrassing.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

I’m not sold either direction right now so I will persist through, Orb took about 7 episodes to get to the serious part and pulling back on some of the campiness so that’ll be my barometer.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I’m actually liking Trigger so far, yeah there’s some elements that are a bit annoying, but I don’t mind them too much and they don’t overpower what’s good. I’ve enjoyed all three episodes and I look forward to what’s to come, they’re doing a good job ratcheting up intrigue with the buildup being done.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Episode 3 was better than Episode 2 for sure. Gazort is a welcome return. I feel he should have had his own episode instead of being a side note in this, but seeing him again was nice. The characters are still obnoxiously horrible though. And the pilot of the GUTS Falcon is just abso-god damn-lutely wretched. I've officially given up on the human characters of the show, but the kaiju and Ultra elements are still very nice.

Worst show since R/B and third worst of the New Generation era by far.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:28 am Episode 3 was better than Episode 2 for sure. Gazort is a welcome return. I feel he should have had his own episode instead of being a side note in this, but seeing him again was nice. The characters are still obnoxiously horrible though. And the pilot of the GUTS Falcon is just abso-god damn-lutely wretched. I've officially given up on the human characters of the show, but the kaiju and Ultra elements are still very nice.

Worst show since R/B and third worst of the New Generation era by far.
Does it even count as a New Generation though? Feels like Taiga wrapped up everything, and Z was sort of a nice send up. Tiga feels like the start of something new especially because it takes place in the new universe.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:18 pm
Does it even count as a New Generation though? Feels like Taiga wrapped up everything, and Z was sort of a nice send up. Tiga feels like the start of something new especially because it takes place in the new universe.
I was under the impression we were still in the New Generation era. I don't know officially. But wasn't every New Gen show in a different universe from one another?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Taiga's movie was billed as New Generation Climax, so I think we've moved into something new.
Perhaps... the Nu-Metal Generation?
OOOH WAH-AH AH AH!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

As of Z, we're in the Reiwa era of Ultraman.