Official "Ultraman Trigger" Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Official "Ultraman Trigger" Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think that next year's Ultra hero will be a "next generation" counterpart to Dyna like how Trigger is to Tiga?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:04 pm Does anyone think that next year's Ultra hero will be a "next generation" counterpart to Dyna like how Trigger is to Tiga?
Probably not. Trigger was specifically made to celebrate TDG's 25th anniversary, and that's gonna be over the moment next year rolls around.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

If anything, I bet there'll be a next generation Dyna in Trigger.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Episode 1 was good, but not the best. I actually really liked the Mars setting; probably one of the most unique twists on a setting in a while. I also enjoyed that figure of darkness and how despite being just a humanoid enemy had some interesting attacks with the big whip. I guess this series will be heavy on that?

First impressions make me feel this will be Z/Taiga quality. It doesn't feel lazy like R/B.

Also, really great cinematography all around.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

The two big Ultraman directors I watch out for are Sakamoto who seems really good with characters and not quite so much with action. That said Geed is high on my list of the New Generation and has my favorite casts easily.
The other is Taguchi who directed Orb and Z and Z is also one of my favorites of New Gen for it's action and the drama and characters were quite good. He knows how to do action really well and pushed the creativity with Z along with knowing what he wanted.

Not too surprised to see Sakamoto did Trigger's first episode because those cool camera angels at the start of the fight very Taguchi-like...but kinda lacked the polish. Still it was quite cool and I can't help but get the impression the two are trying to learn from the other.

Not super in love with the lead yet, hasn't immediately charmed me like Riku from Geed or Haruki from Z or the mysterious coolness of Gai but I like that he's a botanist and wants to get plant life going on Mars. Still hopefully his 'smile smile' doesn't get quite as annoying as Ashai's 'happy' from R/B.

I do love the Mars setting and Darkness Ultras sound pretty cool.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:39 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:09 am
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:57 am Some carvings in earlier Trigger marketing showed him fighting Cthulhu. So, I can bet that the final boss will be based on the octopus-dragon-man
The last Lovecraftian kaiju, Nightfang, in Taiga was great. I'd love to see whatelse they can do.
Night Fang is Lovecraftian?
You don't see the Lovecraftian influence in the design?

Added in 41 minutes 53 seconds:
Finished episode 01. Now for some thoughts. I just want to nitpick something really quick, because holy hell did it take me right out of the scene:

EVERYTHING in this shot is so disproportionate. The small bulldozer, giant barrels, monstrous boxes, and supersized cones. Nothing sizes right and man, did it just look horrible. Rest of the effects and miniatures were great, but this little shot man. Holy crap.

With that said, I liked everything else. Gelba was great. I hope we see more of him later. And that fight scene set the bar for the rest of the series pretty high up. A lot of new tricks and angles we haven't seen in this franchise, or even genre, ever. And can we also appreciate the return of the exploding kaiju prop? That made me grin ear to ear. Never realized how much I missed that. Even if its just for Gelba as a throw back to Tiga, that end was pretty nice. Simple, effective and nice.

... But I still, 100% absolutely hate the "announcer" voice for the GUTs weapons and transformation thing. God damn, it sounds so bad. And now we'll be hearing it far more than I thought since even the regular weapons uses it. And I just want to point out how they are literally recycling the idea of the cyber cards from X for the weapons. It's not something I'm totally against, but for a series that is supposed to be celebrating Tiga... I really didn't and don't want to hear the roars of Gomora as the humans fire a weapon.

But I look forward to more, even if I can already tell this series is going to piss me off by falling back on the same Showa kaiju instead of busting out Silvagon, Goldras, Leilons, Kylerioid, etc.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:11 am Episode 1 was good, but not the best. I actually really liked the Mars setting; probably one of the most unique twists on a setting in a while. I also enjoyed that figure of darkness and how despite being just a humanoid enemy had some interesting attacks with the big whip. I guess this series will be heavy on that?

First impressions make me feel this will be Z/Taiga quality. It doesn't feel lazy like R/B.

Also, really great cinematography all around.
I'm really stoked they've brought back the evil Ultras from the Tiga film. Lots of potential, especially with how they had a falling out with Trigger.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^This isn’t the first time an Ultra had their first battle on Mars.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:58 pm ^This isn’t the first time an Ultra had their first battle on Mars.
Is this a Gudis reference? I feel like this is a Gudis reference. :P

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:02 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:58 pm ^This isn’t the first time an Ultra had their first battle on Mars.
Is this a Gudis reference? I feel like this is a Gudis reference. :P
Yes, I am talking about Great’s battle with Gudis. I am also referring to Dyna’s debut fight.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Something about the way that evil lady Ultra says "Trigger" does something to me 😁
Seriously though, I'm very interested to see how the show grows from here. I like the protagonist being a botanist (plants are fuckin sick) and I'm really interested to see where the R'lyeh plant goes.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:10 pm ^This isn’t the first time an Ultra had their first battle on Mars.
True, but it's the most ambitious change of setting we have seen in a while. Consider we did not see an Earth City being attacked, we saw a Human City on Mars.From what we saw it was the most interesting take on this setting than ever before in the series. The way we start with Dengo (?) in a house, only to reveal they are on Mars is fantastic. Mars is also developed, with a city, terraforming plant projects, ruins and defensive systems. Even if it's not the focus, I hope they continue to show Mars (and other planets) off.

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:26 pm EVERYTHING in this shot is so disproportionate. The small bulldozer, giant barrels, monstrous boxes, and supersized cones. Nothing sizes right and man, did it just look horrible. Rest of the effects and miniatures were great, but this little shot man. Holy crap.
Maybe Mars just has big boxes and smaller bulldozers. :lol:

Also, I 'm noticing that many people think Z and Taiga even have stronger first episodes. I think that's true, but I really feel like the next episode will be the "first episode", where we get introduced to Guts Select and everyone else. Episode 1 served as an origin setting and setting up the world. It also makes me think this will be a less episodic series.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:23 pmTrue, but it's the most ambitious change of setting we have seen in a while. Consider we did not see an Earth City being attacked, we saw a Human City on Mars.From what we saw it was the most interesting take on this setting than ever before in the series. The way we start with Dengo (?) in a house, only to reveal they are on Mars is fantastic. Mars is also developed, with a city, terraforming plant projects, ruins and defensive systems. Even if it's not the focus, I hope they continue to show Mars (and other planets) off.
Perhaps they could feature a battle that takes place in the asteroid belt and have the concept done justice with modern special effects (unlike GvSG in 1994).
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I watched the first episode which was ok. But I'm actually kind of glad I watched the movie Ultraman Saga recently. Wasn't that the last thing to take place in the Tiga/Dyna continuity?I mean I know Dyna was the saviour of Mars, but after all Tiga did to save the Earth, the next thing we see is in Saga earth has gone to hell thanks to Alien Batt, and the people on Mars could care less. I mean I know all the people of earth came back at the end, but that was some "End Game" level changes. I hope Trigger addresses this at some point.

Also is the new enemy the same Camilla from Tiga Final Odyssey, or some other evil Female Ultra that happens to just look similar to her?
Last edited by o.supreme on Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

o.supreme wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:14 pm I watched the first episode which was ok. But I'm actually kind of glad I watched the movie Ultraman Saga recently. Wasn't that the last thing to take place in the Tiga/Dyna continuity?I mean I know Dyna was the saviour of Mars, but after all Tiga did to save the Earth, the next thing we see is in Saga earth has gone to hell thanks to Alien Batt, and the people on Mars could care less. I mean I know all the people of earth came back at the end, but that was some "End Game" level changes. I hope Trigger addresses this at some point.

Also is the new enemy the same Camilla from Tiga Final Odyssey, or some other evil Female Ultra that happens to just look similar to her?
Carmearra is a different character from Camearra. I guess we'll learn later on why this series' Ultras are so suspiciously similar to their Heisei counterparts.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

o.supreme wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:14 pm I watched the first episode which was ok. But I'm actually kind of glad I watched the movie Ultraman Saga recently. Wasn't that the last thing to take place in the Tiga/Dyna continuity?I mean I know Dyna was the saviour of Mars, but after all Tiga did to save the Earth, the next thing we see is in Saga earth has gone to hell thanks to Alien Batt, and the people on Mars could care less. I mean I know all the people of earth came back at the end, but that was some "End Game" level changes. I hope Trigger addresses this at some point.

The Earth the main story of Ultraman Saga takes place on isn't the one of Tiga and Dyna. After Ultra Galaxy Dyna traveled to a different universe (the one with Alien Bat), Taiga came from the Neo Frontier Universe, Zero from Showa/Ultra Galaxy Universe and Cosmos from his own.

So unless Dyna or any character connected to Ultraman Saga appears I doubt for any references to be made

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Dyrakro wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:43 am The Earth the main story of Ultraman Saga takes place on isn't the one of Tiga and Dyna. After Ultra Galaxy Dyna traveled to a different universe (the one with Alien Bat).
I get that Dyna was traveling to different universes, but I thought in Saga, Dyna had returned to his home world. Why would a universe (The one with Alien Bat) be celebrating Dyna's 15th anniversary of saving mars, and they all know him, if that wasn't the same Universe Dyna came from...??
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

o.supreme wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:27 am
Dyrakro wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:43 am The Earth the main story of Ultraman Saga takes place on isn't the one of Tiga and Dyna. After Ultra Galaxy Dyna traveled to a different universe (the one with Alien Bat).
I get that Dyna was traveling to different universes, but I thought in Saga, Dyna had returned to his home world. Why would a universe (The one with Alien Bat) be celebrating Dyna's 15th anniversary of saving mars, and they all know him, if that wasn't the same Universe Dyna came from...??
The Dyna-verse (Mars) IS in Saga, but the plot isn't on that Earth. The Earth it takes place on is one that never had their own Ultra defender, one of the reasons Bat choose it for his testing ground.

Quote of the Year:

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:00 am The Dyna-verse (Mars) IS in Saga, but the plot isn't on that Earth. The Earth it takes place on is one that never had their own Ultra defender, one of the reasons Bat choose it for his testing ground.
Ill have to watch it again. Not sure if it is clearly defined. I don't remember Taiga going to another universe form the time he left Mars, to when he got to Earth and merged with Zero. Plus everyone on that Earth (well everyone left) knows Asuka/Dyna.
Last edited by o.supreme on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

o.supreme wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:37 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:00 am The Dyna-verse (Mars) IS in Saga, but the plot isn't on that Earth. The Earth it takes place on is one that never had their own Ultra defender, one of the reasons Bat choose it for his testing ground.
Ill have to watch it again. Not sure if it is clearly defined. I don't remember Taiga going to another universe form the time he left Mars, to when he got to Earth and merged with Zero. Plus everyone on that Earth (well everyone left) knows Asuka/Dyna.
That's because Dyna appeared in their universe in the midst of Bat's invasion and was defeated.

Quote of the Year: