Ultraman Taro!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Ultraman Taro!

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

o.supreme wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:25 pm So , starting around the episodes with Birdon there apparently was a contest to enter drawings of what the Land of Light would look like. I find it hilarious that MC felt the need to add a subtitle indicating this contest is "concluded" :lol:
Speaking of Taro's M78, I wish they stuck to it in the Mega Monster Battle movie. Sure, some modernization was fine but now, the place just looks like the Fortress of Solitude but green.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:55 pm
o.supreme wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:25 pm So , starting around the episodes with Birdon there apparently was a contest to enter drawings of what the Land of Light would look like. I find it hilarious that MC felt the need to add a subtitle indicating this contest is "concluded" :lol:
Speaking of Taro's M78, I wish they stuck to it in the Mega Monster Battle movie. Sure, some modernization was fine but now, the place just looks like the Fortress of Solitude but green.
Conspiracy time: M78 is made of Kryptonite and the Ultraman that is a villain to Superman is an ACTUAL Ultra from the M78 universe, but in disguise. :P

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:55 pm Speaking of Taro's M78, I wish they stuck to it in the Mega Monster Battle movie. Sure, some modernization was fine but now, the place just looks like the Fortress of Solitude but green.
Unfortunately I had a convoluted way of seeing it - in that, the first time I saw it was in the Ultrabrothers vs The Monster Army movie, which obviously has a lot of Taro stock footage. I know it was all TPC footage, but in that Sompote Sans mess of a movie seeing it for the first time 25 years ago, I couldn't tell. The core ideas like the eternal flame are still there in the new one, but without the ceiling fan on the ground :lol: . Basically I'm ok with the redesign in the Ultra Galaxy film.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Just finished episodes 27-30. A nice little tetrology of episodes each with monsters/aliens from the previous 4 series. Of course each one looks vastly inferior to the original, but it's a nice callback.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Those were fun but the two part Yapool episode was probably the best. Tyrant is up next.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:50 am Those were fun but the two part Yapool episode was probably the best. Tyrant is up next.

I think you meant Temporer? I've actually seen those episodes before, because I really wanted to see the cameos of the former actors, so I sought them out online years ago. But it was nice to finally see them with proper subtitles. At any rate yeah those were fun. I just finished disc 4. Hard to believe Taros exploding Dynamite was introduced in a rather average episode.

I've actually never seen the Tyrant episode, looking forward to it on Disc 5.
Last edited by o.supreme on Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Just finished the show off earlier today. I thought it was really well done.

My only complaints with it are
-They kill off two dogs fairly early in the show. For some reason I just hate animal violence on movies and film.
-I was really disappointed with Tyrant. His episode made him seem fairly powerful but he lost very easily to Taro.

Other than that its not quite my favorite series in the Ultra franchise but damn is it close.

Can't wait for Leo.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

o.supreme wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:28 pm
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:50 am Those were fun but the two part Yapool episode was probably the best. Tyrant is up next.

I think you meant Temporer? I've actually seen those episodes before, because I really wanted to see the cameos of the former actors, so I sought them out online years ago. But it was nice to finally see them with proper subtitles. At any rate yeah those were fun. I just finished disc 4. Hard to believe Taros exploding Dynamite was introduced in a rather average episode.

I've actually never seen the Tyrant episode, looking forward to it on Disc 5.
Naw thats episodes 33 & 34. I'm talking about 29 & 30.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I think I was confused by your previous post. I know Temporer shows up in 33&34, but your previous post, when you said "Tyrant is Next" makes it seem like that episode immediately follows the Yapool 2-parter, which it doesn't....

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Just finished the series today. I do have a few thoughts about the last episode. I understand what the writers were going for, as in something different, but I still found it ultimately disappointing. I had seen it a few years ago, but today was a better experience with accurate subtitles, and in the context of having watched all 6 of the first Ultraseries since MC has been releasing them.

To defend the Earth as humans, and not rely on Ultraman is definitely aspirational, but if that were truly the case, then there would be no need for any other Ultra's to ever come back, and thus no TV shows ;) . If this were the last show of its kind, or even taking a hiatus I could see the point better, but Leo started the very next week, so there was no break.

Also the idea of who an Ultraman is as opposed to his secret identity has been retconned quite a bit over the years. I do appreciate the knowledge that other fans have shared recently concerning actor Saburō Shinoda. He hasn't avoided the franchise on purpose, but it appears schedules have just not worked out, as he is usually on other projects. Still, With Mebius and the Ultra Galaxy films/Zero films heavily featuring the original actors from the showa era, not having Shinoda return seems like a missed opportunity. Also now that we are going on 10+ years since most of those cameos, it's becoming more and more difficult. The last one was Kohji Moritsugu appearing as Dan/Seven in the Orb Movie four years ago.

I understand that Shinoda is not as old as some of the others, but (slight pun intended) time is running out. I'd still like to see one Ultra series or movie just give us one last glorious gathering of as many original actors as can be hired for a single project.

In conclusion however, Ultraman Taro overall was not as silly or dumb as I believed for many years (yes it was silly and dumb, at times, but still fun to watch). I look forward to all the future releases Mill Creek can produce.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Last watched the Piccolo episode and I gotta say it might be the most interestingly shot episode of the series.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Ok the Veron episode might be my favorite of the show so far. Its just so weird, random, and goofy.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:32 pm Ok the Veron episode might be my favorite of the show so far. Its just so weird, random, and goofy.
I'll try to catch up soon and get back on the show! Based on your comments I'm looking forward to it!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

o.supreme wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:14 pm Just finished episodes 27-30. A nice little tetrology of episodes each with monsters/aliens from the previous 4 series. Of course each one looks vastly inferior to the original, but it's a nice callback.
Yeah I just finished those. I thought the Melfias episode had a nice theme about baseball, but Melfias feels forced in. The Electing episode was alright, I like the stuff with the boys and the CONCEPT of Eleking returning thanks to the moon, but just like Melfias episode forced. Both episodes had crap looking monsters, and according to MaxRebo seems like the monsters were tossed in.

I thought the two-parter with Yapool was fine, but mostly a repeat of the original Bemstar episode. I liked all the stuff with ZAT coming into their own, as well as the story with Unno (the pe teacher?), but I wish the other two monsters maybe got introduced earlier in the episode and had more to do. Would've added more tension and made it more than just a Bemstar retread.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:05 pm and according to MaxRebo seems like the monsters were tossed in.
They were. Eleking replaced a mammoth monster called Gokiba while Mephilas replaced an early version of Mushra.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I watched the Temperor Two-Parter. It was interesting. Temperor was a shake up from most Ultraman aliens. He just straight up had no problem confronting the Ultra-Brothers and wasn't scared. It wasn't like some of the other aliens who have really standard traps. Also, with his unique powers (the energy whips) he was a memorable villain. He also causes some good destruction, which a lot of Taro was missing with the exception of a few other episodes. The big problem with the episodes though was how it got repetitive with all the body swapping. And while it was fun to see them work together, the way that the brothers just beat Temperor was a bit anticlimactic. Oh well. Still memorable. I'm actually more looking forward to a few of the weird and upcoming episodes more.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Wow! Just started this and really like it - totally committed to being a sillier, cartoony take on Ultraman. The defense team is all goofballs, too! Miniatures and kaiju suits pretty strong.

Special props to the subtitler: getting across goofiness is difficult. When I read a character bust out a lame pun in English I knew the translator must've taken the time to replace a Japanese pun with an English-language one! That's good translation.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

I’ve watched the first three discs of Ultraman Taro, so I’m halfway through the show.

Episode 7 (Heaven and Hell, the Island Moves!) ends with Taro disemboweling Ganza with his bare hands only to spill what appear to be multicolored gumballs from the Giant Crab Monster’s guts. After Ganza dies on the ground, its body and all of the little multicolored spheres disappear in a flash of light, leaving only a large group of regular-sized crabs in place of the monster’s body. It’s not clear if those spheres were meant to be crab eggs because the crabs definitely appear in place of Ganza’s body and not the spheres. Taro then blasts the crabs with a ray that will prevent them from growing giant, not that it matters because the locals proceed to catch them all and sell them as seafood.

Episode 12 (Monster’s Solo Journey) ends with Taro ripping Vorkeller’s throat out through its mouth. Vorkeller then gushes little multicolored spheres from its mouth.

Episode 14 (Taro’s Head Flew Off!), well just look at the title. This show takes the trend of spoiling would-be surprises in the episode titles to another level.

It was cool seeing the franchise’s first three-parter in episodes 17-19 featuring Birdon. The middle part of that trio is titled Zoffy Died! Taro Died Too!

Episode 23 (The Gentle Monster Father!) guest-stars Kotaro Tomita just months after he appeared as the main Seatopian agent in Godzilla vs. Megalon. It features the Mirage Monster, Lorda, which melts people’s cars while leaving them alive, prompting the newly carless victims to hatch a scheme to exploit the monster for a junk car disposal business. It ends with Taro creating a tornado to hurl Lordra high into the air and blast the monster to smithereens, which then rain down onto the children below in the form of thousands of miniature toy cars. Did I mention that this show is weird?

Episodes 24 & 25 are a two-parter in which Taro returns home to the Land of Ultra, where he sees his lovable rabid dog that he’s had since childhood and he passes by the school he attended as a child and the pool he swam in during the Summers. That all seems to contradict the first episode of this show in which Taro was born before our eyes as the Mother of Ultra created him onscreen.

Episode 27 (Here He Is! Alien Mefilas!) is fun on its own terms but it’s pretty disappointing as a follow-up to Ultraman ep.33 (The Forbidden Words). It seems like they just shoehorned Alien Mefilas into a script they had already written about a flower monster hiding and moving around inside a vending machine to poison children. The Forbidden Words was about Alien Mefilas trying to convince a human child to betray humanity and sell the Earth away. Six years and four series later, we have a follow-up episode in which a boy with a passion for baseball must come to terms with being paralyzed by a monster that turns out to be a disguise for Alien Mefilas, but then he doesn’t even take advantage of the situation to try to tempt the boy into selling the Earth away in exchange for the cure.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Holy mackerel! Birdon is a three-parter?!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Whoa a 3 parter!?

I dunno a lot of these two-parters can be pretty hit or miss.
It seems like Return of Ultraman's two parters in the first half were always good. Twin-Tails/Gudon, Seamons/Gorath, and I liked the Terochalas two-parter.
Black King/Nackle was kind of disappointing after all the hype.

I believe I really liked all the Ultraseven two parters.

I think Ace's two-parters were kind of rough. I guess the only issue I had with the Metron II one was the asspull that blowing up the comet would revive Minami.
The Hippolito one...

Y'know I started thinking about this and maybe the issue isn't two-parters per say but episodes where they really want to play up the 'All the other Ultras can't do it so it's up to the star one of this show!'
First the other five are trapped by Yapool in Ace then all are beaten by Hipporito and even Father of Ultra was beaten because he was weakened to teleport to Earth so fast. I think I like the team-up episodes a little more than the 'mow through all the Ultras' cliche.