Official "Ultraman R/B" Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm about six episodes into R/B. Hmmm it's alright.

Stuff I like
-I think brother Ultras is a great idea. It's made clear they love each other but still head-butt.
-Strong sense of family and slice of life. Okay that's different.
-The two kind of fumble to try to figure out how to fight the first few episodes and they get a bit creative. So far it doesn't QUITE have the 'treasure gathering' of Orb and Geed. I appreciate that they become Ultras and it's not like they suddenly know kung-fu.
-Different power-ups that aren't 'Combine Ginga and Zero to become...GINZERO!' There is that elemental power and I didn't realize the two of them could switch.
-Mr. Aizen. He's quite fun.
-I want that Spaaaaace shirt and 'Tooth of Wisdom' too.

Dislike
-I dunno for the above stuff I'm not quite getting hooked into it as fast as Orb, Geed or Z. I even with Orb and Geed where we had the dreaded 'we gotta steam roll out the first three forms!' there was plenty of stuff I liked. I did rather like the first episode and the baseball one. I dunno I think something needs to be polished more.
-It may be way too early to jump on this but the cast doesn't quite mesh for me. I'm almost done re-watching Geed and I think that show has one of the best cast. Even though I like the brothers and Aizen the rest aren't quite clicking for me. Though I did like how the sister Saki refused to leave Isumi when he was pinned down.
-Ugh! I'm not a fan of that 'pull' sound when the brothers transform...and I have to hear it again for the second brother and then again when they trade!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Official "Ultraman R/B" Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Easily the worst Ultraman series in modern history. They never really fully take advantage of the fact that there's two ultraman, and beyond one basic episode with baseball Never even really flesh the brothers out. Monsters are repetitive, fights take place in bland cities always during the day. Not going to say too much, but there's also some really really dumb twists.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I watched 7 and 8 and really enjoyed them. I plan to keep watching it and hopefully I enjoy it more than others.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Easily the worst Ultraman series in modern history.
Not going to dump on the series for the sake of those who enjoy it. But I agree, for me, it is the least likeable series of the New Age Heroes. A lot of good concepts, just made to be over-the-top silly until the very end. Just not for me. But if you enjoy it, then by all means go for it.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hm not sure which is my weakest so far...I just can't get super into X though I like X's design.
That said I do appreciate how the brothers have trouble fighting at first.
I'll just have to see. Hey I paid for it.
What are people's thoughts on Taiga? Is it considered an improvement or R/B?

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Hm not sure which is my weakest so far...I just can't get super into X though I like X's design.
That said I do appreciate how the brothers have trouble fighting at first.
I'll just have to see. Hey I paid for it.
What are people's thoughts on Taiga? Is it considered an improvement or R/B?
Overwhelmingly and easily
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I've only seen the first few episodes of Taiga,. But I'd say Yes, and Z is an improvement over that as well, but Orb so far is still my favorite of the new age series

Probably goes

Orb
Geed
Z
X
Victory
Ginga
R/B

Taiga I haven't seen beyond episode 5, so I am reserving final judgement.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I feel like Orb and Geed are super neck and neck for me.
Orb had great trinity of leads between Gai, Naomi and Juggler. Great drama and character development for Gai's last two transformations, even if his last form is kind of a let-down. Love Barista Black and the cast is pretty fun.

Z is a pretty nice back to basics, attack team, a bit less serialized but stuff still builds up. I do really like it.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Damn I thought Neronga had some cool attacks in his episode! I dunno episode 16 might be my favorite. Good action with a classic and nice family drama on the side.
This series may be kinda weak but the villains are pretty fun. Aizen was great and I like the creepy strange Saki who seems to have known a number of historic people.
I thought Horoboros was a bit more interesting when he walked on all fours but yeah people were right when they said Z added a little more history to Grigio King/Raijin and Horoboros.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Gotten further and only five episodes left.

I thought the reveal that the brief shot of R/B Ultras facing off against Grigio made it look like they had an epic battle turned out to be
Spoiler:
the latter hosts were in fact killed and that Grigio monster was saddened by their deaths. Basically it turns out they weren't enemies at all.
I thought that was a nice twist. I thought Grand King got a nice showing too.