The Gridman Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
LegendZilla
Sazer

The Gridman Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

Hello once again members of the board, LegendZilla here once again. Do any of you mind if I made a thread dedicated to the most well-known sister-brand of the Ultraman franchise, Denkou Choujin Gridman (better known stateside as Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad)?

Do you enjoy this series? If so, say anything you want about both the original 1993 series, or its modern-day follow-up SSSS Gridman.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Gridman Thread

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I've only seen SSSS Gridman once but I really liked it. The characters were good, the animation was the quality expected from Trigger (very good), and the kaiju... Holy crap, the kaiju. There wasn't a single kaiju that I didn't like. Anti, Ghoulgilas, and Nanashi are especially perfect. I couldn't understand the ending, though.
Spoiler:
Like, I know that Ayane was actually a human in the real world or something but why did Gridman turn into the 1993 suit? And what happened to the other characters when she woke up? Did they just crumble into paper REJECTED-style?
EDIT: Slight grammar
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Spoiler:
Gridman turned into the 1993 suit because that is his true form. His battle with Alexis Kerib weakened him to the point where he was stuck in the look he has for the show, but upon being able to regain his full strength, he was able to return to his normal state

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Still haven't seen the original series yet though I did love Super Human Samurai when it was on. Much better and less annoying than Power Rangers if you ask me. Plus the monsters were just so much cooler. With the original series on TOKU I do hope to get around to it at some point. Would love if Mill Creek can get this from Tsuburaya in the future.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Still haven't seen the original series yet though I did love Super Human Samurai when it was on. Much better and less annoying than Power Rangers if you ask me. Plus the monsters were just so much cooler. With the original series on TOKU I do hope to get around to it at some point. Would love if Mill Creek can get this from Tsuburaya in the future.
According to Keith Aiken, Mill Creek does have the rights to Gridman and they were planning to release it this year prior to the pandemic, so I suppose it'd only a matter of time...

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Sweet!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Still haven't seen the original series yet though I did love Super Human Samurai when it was on. Much better and less annoying than Power Rangers if you ask me. Plus the monsters were just so much cooler. With the original series on TOKU I do hope to get around to it at some point. Would love if Mill Creek can get this from Tsuburaya in the future.
You can watch the whole series on Youtube. It has some pretty shitty subs however.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Guess what I'll be watching pretty soon.
https://twitter.com/VintageHenshin/stat ... 1967783939

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Guess what I'll be watching pretty soon.
https://twitter.com/VintageHenshin/stat ... 1967783939
Oooh, I'm down for that. Hope they release an episode a day, that's how I watched the first three seasons of Symphogear and I really enjoyed that pace.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Reviving this because of SSSS.DYNAZENON. Interesting that it's humans that are summoning the kaiju instead of an alien.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I've watched the first 2 episodes. I probably need to do so mid-day when I'm not so tired because I keep falling asleep trying to watch this. When the first anime was released, someone on another site would basically list all the Transformers Shattered Glass references in each episode. Not sure if that is still happening or not.

Secondly, I know this is not a 1:1 recreation of Gridman, but I take it by the title they are basically completely redoing the idea of the God Zenon (Zenon) and Dyna Dragon (Drago) mechs (instead of 2 completely separate robots, one basically transforms into the other?) . Lastly, is there any indication at some point Gridman will show up and merge with Dynazenon? Not to steal the thunder of the new characters, but a crossover towards the end would be cool. Or maybe they'll save that for a movie or OVA after the series concludes.
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

They reference SG in ssss. Gridman/Dynazenon?! That's surprising. I feel like SG Transformers stuff is kinda niche.
Fuck I gotta just watch the show already.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:14 pm They reference SG in ssss. Gridman/Dynazenon?! That's surprising. I feel like SG Transformers stuff is kinda niche.
skreeonk I gotta just watch the show already.
Every main character in Gridman's color palette is based on an autobot from Shattered Glass.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:02 pm Every main character in Gridman's color palette is based on an autobot from Shattered Glass.
I'm gonna have to go a week sober and come back to this comment to make sure it's not a hallucination. That's wild.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

https://tformers.com/new-anime-ssss-gri ... /news.html

SG is pretty niche, but one of the animators happens to be a fan, even though these were pretty much convention-only stories. Hasbro did test the water last year and release a couple SG toys on their website (Hasbro Pulse). Now a whole subline for SG is coming. I'm sire it is still far mor eniche in Japan, but it seems like it's catching on fast in the west.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

OrnithopodaistheBest
GPN Volunteer

Post by OrnithopodaistheBest »

I have resurrected this thread just to say, having watched both Gridman and Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad, each one has definite strenghts and weaknesses but both manage to compliment each other fairly well. Khan Digifier doesn't really have that much of an impact, he just goes along with whatever pettiness Takeshi is obssessed with just for the hell of it, KiloKhan on the other hand, thinks big, and has to be coerced or tricked into agreeing with Malcolm's own schemes. I was pleasantly surprised with how fairly faithful -yet still making its own choices- SSSS was to its source material, with one episode even making a nod to the Special Dog Ippei wanted so badly in Gridman.

The final episode was definitely an asspull of titanic proportions though. Tanker transforming into Servo even though it was firmly established that only Sam himself could do the change before. You could tell they had run out of budget by that point. Still, it's commendable how the crew managed to extend the adaptation's episode count well beyond the original's 39 episodes, even if most of the time they just kept reusing footage of previous monster battles.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Funny when you learn SSSS was created mostly as a big "fuck you" to Saban.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Anyone here gotten to watch Gridman Universe yet? Thought it was super fun.