Official "Ultraman Z" Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Official "Ultraman Z" Thread

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

A Z movie would be awesome, but don't know how they could top the finale of the show. For instance, it hit all the notes I want in not just Ultraman, but superheroes in general. Pure heroic optimism and willpower saving the day. Damn good stuff, and I'd love to see the cast of Z return moreso than just the titular Ultra and Haruki alone.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm watching the rerelease of episode 8 live right now. Almost everyone in the chat is either singing with the theme song or spouting out quote's from the show. :D It's honestly a really cute experience and really showed just how much Z introduced western audiences to Ultraman after years of the brand struggling to make even a minor success.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

So all of this just got trademarked by Tsuburaya:
Spoiler:
GUTS-SELECT
GUTS Spark Lens
GUTS Hyper Key
GUTS Falcon
Okagubila
Carmila
Golbar
Circle Arms
Satandelos
Dargon
Trigger Dark
Nursedesei Go?
Hyudram
Alien Metron Maruru
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

MoarCrossovers wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:02 am So all of this just got trademarked by Tsuburaya:
Spoiler:
GUTS-SELECT
GUTS Spark Lens
GUTS Hyper Key
GUTS Falcon
Okagubila
Carmila
Golbar
Circle Arms
Satandelos
Dargon
Trigger Dark
Nursedesei Go?
Hyudram
Alien Metron Maruru
I think you meant to click on the Trigger thread.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Don’t remember it being discussed and with it kind of being dropped as a main plot point, how are the Devil Splinters being sent throughout the multiverse? When they were initially explain by Riku, Taro fighting Belial presumably took place in the Showa-era universe. He’s been in a few other universes where’s he’s been blasted so that would cause a similar occurrence. Though I suppose if nothing else the excuse for it would be Tartarus probably.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

On the episode 9 reload on YouTube there’s an extra bit at the start (new and not part of the episode) with Z and Haruki training using a Pendanium plate for Z to break with the goal for him to break 1000. You can imagine what happens

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Ultraman Z is officially an award-winner![1]
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

The fact we're not getting a Z movie is BS. Not going to lie.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:01 pm The fact we're not getting a Z movie is BS. Not going to lie.
I guess they did it due to Shin Ultraman and even now that it's been delayed, it's too late to get a finished product out.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:09 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:01 pm The fact we're not getting a Z movie is BS. Not going to lie.
I guess they did it due to Shin Ultraman and even now that it's been delayed, it's too late to get a finished product out.
Tsuburaya just doesn't like money. Why not both?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I feel most Ultra movie spinoffs are useless fluff. They're roughly the same quality as an episode of the series in terms if production, but often feel like hasty afterthoughts in terms of story and basically just serve the purpose of showing a team-up with last year's hero and giving a new power-up form to the main hero (aka, selling one more new toy before the next series ushers in the new toyline). What's worse, they often blunt the impact of the series finale they directly follow. Z ended with some emotional farewells, a movie would, by necessity, involve everyone returning to status quo like a month later (maybe setting them during the show's run instead of after would be better?).

If they're not going to aim higher in terms of quality I'd rather do away with them. Making independent productions that do aim higher, like Shin Ultraman, is the way to go.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:51 pm I feel most Ultra movie spinoffs are useless fluff. They're roughly the same quality as an episode of the series in terms if production, but often feel like hasty afterthoughts in terms of story and basically just serve the purpose of showing a team-up with last year's hero and giving a new power-up form to the main hero (aka, selling one more new toy before the next series ushers in the new toyline). What's worse, they often blunt the impact of the series finale they directly follow. Z ended with some emotional farewells, a movie would, by necessity, involve everyone returning to status quo like a month later (maybe setting them during the show's run instead of after would be better?).

If they're not going to aim higher in terms of quality I'd rather do away with them. Making independent productions that do aim higher, like Shin Ultraman, is the way to go.
But... While, yes. You're absolutely right. But I can't help but to 100% disagree. Gimme more cash outs!

Quote of the Year:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:51 pm I feel most Ultra movie spinoffs are useless fluff. They're roughly the same quality as an episode of the series in terms if production, but often feel like hasty afterthoughts in terms of story and basically just serve the purpose of showing a team-up with last year's hero and giving a new power-up form to the main hero (aka, selling one more new toy before the next series ushers in the new toyline). What's worse, they often blunt the impact of the series finale they directly follow. Z ended with some emotional farewells, a movie would, by necessity, involve everyone returning to status quo like a month later (maybe setting them during the show's run instead of after would be better?).

Mixed feelings on this, and while I agree on your overall sentiment, I think there’s a few that are justified. Keep in mind I haven’t seen them all, but I’ll compare Geed’s movie to Taiga’s.

In Ultraman Taiga, Tregear starts as a formidable antagonist, kicking off the series and remaining a re-occurring threat up until the mid-way point. While the two-parter that they dispose of him in his certainly great, the series shifts focus to other monsters and away from Tregear, and the tone of the show shifts. This culminates in a series climax that is fun, with a unique monster and conflict. If Taiga ended there, that would be fine, but various plot points feel a little unresolved, and the series hasn’t lived up to what it could have been, as Taro is barely in it despite the show making a big deal about Taro being there.

Taiga’s movie takes advantage of this, and brings back Tregear in a big way. Taro is back too, and we get Taro vs. Taiga, a unique set-up with emotional payoffs. Despite some parts still feeling like a buffer up tv show episode, there’s a lot of monsters and mayhem as well as action and things for them to do. Since we get some all start monsters, it also feels like a “best-of”. Even if the final confrontation was a bit easily overcome with a new form, it felt like something that a series might not otherwise ordinary do.

Geed’s movie, the one in Okinawa with Gilbras (robot brain thing) was so lame in comparison. The action was pretty tame, and it gave a backstory to Galactron, which actually made it retroactively lamer (it was cooler when it was mysterious). On top of that, rather than further lore that the series established, like the Taiga movie, it just tacked on new characters that didn’t need to be there and were ultimately pointless. That’s not to say the film doesn’t have some good things going for it, but it’s ultimately pointless. While Belial gets a lot of screen time in Geed, I felt they never fully embraced the initial set-up, and a movie could’ve had a lot of potential. What if Geed had to team up with Belial to stop some other threat?

I remember there’s been a few other ultra films that leave the same impression. I think when they have good ideas, the films are fine. Sometimes they feel forced. I’d rather just a continuation of Z than a movie, but we’re getting Trigger so that’s fine.

To be clear, not saying Taiga’s film is the best thing ever, but I think it’s worth a watch, and justifies its existence.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I've seen all of the post-series films from the modern era (2013 an onward) except for the most recent Taiga Movie. I do agree, they seem like an addendum that is fun, but not essential. I think back to the crossover films such as Tiga/Dyna as well as the 2 Mebius Films. I'm not sure if it was just because Crossover films were less frequent back then, but they just seemed special, and executed better.

The Zero film Trilogy was pretty great also, but there was also no regular series at that point, just inter-connecting OVA's. Also while Ultraman is really the star, any crossover film where the Ultraman is contrived to show up without his human host is somewhat lacking IMHO. I mean Kohji Moritsugu only has a brief appearance as Dan in the Orb Film, but to me that makes all the difference than if Ultraseven had just shown up, and makes that film rank much higher IMHO than any of it's contemporaries.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I haven't seen Taiga or its film yet. I had heard that it was a but more complimentary to its series, as opposed to the others which tend to feel vestigial (like some of Geed's character development seemingly reversing so he can work through it again in the movie).

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Wonder if there’s any chance of getting an Ultra Fight Z since a full movie has passed us by

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Saturndusk wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:49 am Wonder if there’s any chance of getting an Ultra Fight Z since a full movie has passed us by
Isn't that just Sevenger Fight, though?

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:34 pm
Saturndusk wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:49 am Wonder if there’s any chance of getting an Ultra Fight Z since a full movie has passed us by
Isn't that just Sevenger Fight, though?
Depending on the context but the Fights include a mode/form change too so I suppose that’d be the main criteria

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Almost sounds like Justin Roiland as Barossa! interesting to hear what he sounds like in 'Merican.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Another aspect of the lack of a "Z"movie I'll miss the the chance for an anniversary nod. The X movie acknowledged the 50th anniversary of Ultraman, and 20th of Tiga. The Orb movie acknowledged the 50th anniversary of Ultraseven.

A Z movie this year could have worked in Jack's 50th....Oh well.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!