Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:26 am
Gigantis wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 am
tbeasley wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 am I wouldn't mind Pagos and Magular for a Baragon family reunion.
I'm 50/50 percent sure this'll be what happens.
I suppose the Baragon-based kaiju will be related in a plot significant way. Clones? A single monster that's consistently upgraded by... bad guy aliens? Mad scientist?
I have a theory on this ever since February and I find it to be pretty likely. Basically, Neronga gets killed by either having his head blown to bits or sliced off. Then, aliens (Baltan) attach mechanical components to his corpse and turn it into Gabora. So basically, a single monster that's consistently upgraded by bad guy aliens.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:57 am I have a theory on this ever since February and I find it to be pretty likely. Basically, Neronga gets killed by either having his head blown to bits or sliced off. Then, aliens (Baltan) attach mechanical components to his corpse and turn it into Gabora. So basically, a single monster that's consistently upgraded by bad guy aliens.
That's money! I was looking at the Gabora movie monster vinyl, and I did notice there's kind of a little tail nub under the "full" tail, the one that continues from the drill pattern on its back. Totally could be augmentation. Would also explain the greyer color scheme, and maybe the head is a modified skull?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:57 am
Angilasman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:26 am
Gigantis wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 am

I'm 50/50 percent sure this'll be what happens.
I suppose the Baragon-based kaiju will be related in a plot significant way. Clones? A single monster that's consistently upgraded by... bad guy aliens? Mad scientist?
I have a theory on this ever since February and I find it to be pretty likely. Basically, Neronga gets killed by either having his head blown to bits or sliced off. Then, aliens (Baltan) attach mechanical components to his corpse and turn it into Gabora. So basically, a single monster that's consistently upgraded by bad guy aliens.
That would be interesting

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Enter Pagos:P

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

imposterzilla wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:16 am Enter Pagos:P
And then Magular.
Last edited by MoarCrossovers on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

MoarCrossovers wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:23 am
imposterzilla wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:16 am Enter Pagos:P
And then Magular.
Final boss is Geronga

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I still like Bemular.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

What if Anno finally officially realizes his fan film kaiju?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While Anno is a big fan of things he doesn't come across as the type of forcefully insert his own concept or fan design from thirty plus years ago into a narrative unless he has very justified reasons for doing so.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I do wonder though, will the monsters get a new origin or will their origin still be similar to their original counterparts.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:05 am While Anno is a big fan of things he doesn't come across as the type of forcefully insert his own concept or fan design from thirty plus years ago into a narrative unless he has very justified reasons for doing so.
Isn't that what Shin Godzilla is though. Not forcefully inserted by Anno put his own Spin on Godzilla.

Added in 59 seconds:
I'm wondering if the Type A face will be used in this for a angry or berserk Ultraman since Anno mentioned how it used to scare him.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:45 pm I'm wondering if the Type A face will be used in this for a angry or berserk Ultraman since Anno mentioned how it used to scare him.
That would be cool as hell.
I was a little disappointed when the trailer dropped and it was the c-type face, the a-type on the sleeker, more alien-porportioned body was very striking.
As a sidebar, based on the more direct Tohl Narita influence on Ultraman himself, I'm half expecting Dada to show up with this design:
which could be very at home in the style of animation we saw in the trailer.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:00 pm As a sidebar, based on the more direct Tohl Narita influence on Ultraman himself, I'm half expecting Dada to show up with this design:
which could be very at home in the style of animation we saw in the trailer.
It would be really cool if that happened but considering the fact that none of the kaiju are based on Narita's art, I doubt it.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Now would be a good time to show this movie to a test audience. If they don't like it, they could do re-shoots.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:37 pm Now would be a good time to show this movie to a test audience. If they don't like it, they could do re-shoots.
> assuming Shin Ultraman isn’t already a masterpiece
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:37 pm Now would be a good time to show this movie to a test audience. If they don't like it, they could do re-shoots.
Japan's just declared another state of emergency re: COVID. Now's not a good time to do anything in Japan.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

So, what are your opinions on this film's designs? Personally, I find them all perfect but Neronga is the best.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:50 am So, what are your opinions on this film's designs? Personally, I find them all perfect but Neronga is the best.
TBH i'm waiting to see what the rest of the monsters look like before i try ranking them.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:28 pm Japan's just declared another state of emergency re: COVID. Now's not a good time to do anything in Japan.
Unless it's the Olympics :P

There's rampant hypocrisy in how and what is acceptable to do, largely involving money. While the Olympics are definitely suspect, I've noticed a lot of very blatant scapegoating involving blaming "foreign athletes", despite a lot of business carrying on as usual (baseball and soccer games). The states of emergencies are mostly a joke, because unlike let's say New York, the governments actually can't really do much to enforce some of their own regulations. Sure nightclubs are closed, and sure scapegoats are made out of businesses that don't follow, but for the most part it's business as usual sans anti-virus monitoring. Most of the regulations are voluntary, and many places have played along because they don't want to look bad (which is great imo). The real reason why it's never gotten bad as America or other parts of the world is that people here have been comparatively good at mask wearing, and many places have temperature checks and whatnot. On top of that, states of emergency are local, not nationwide. The area I live in, an hour train ride to Tokyo, hasn't been under a state of emergency last year.

You can read more here. Notice all the "asked/requested" etc:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news ... ries/1711/

Additionally, in contrast to American cinemas, Japan has always had people purchase the seats for tickets, not "buy a ticket and hope you get a good seat". You can choose what seats you want beforehand, and they (the movie theater) can cancel what seats are available and whatnot. Ie: socially distanced movie theaters are easily doable. And based on my own experiences, movie-going audiences in Japan are completely silent. Last year, the Demon Slayer anime film did gangbusters, even though it was released in the corona pandemic era.

That being said, I agree with your sentiment. Better not to do anything or plan to do anything. I'd prefer if Shin Ultraman came out at a time when things are safer (80% of the elderly people are vaccinated, and everyone is starting to get vaccinated en-masse) and when everyone can enjoy the movie (if it's good!). We'll just have to see.

Friendly reminder that this is based on my own anecdotal experiences, and I'm not an expert, just reporting on the day-to-day things I've seen of the pandemic in Japan.

The idea of "showing it to test audiences to see what they like" is ridiculous though.
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:50 am So, what are your opinions on this film's designs? Personally, I find them all perfect but Neronga is the best.
Based on the toys, I love them. I know this is because they're just recreations of older Showa Monsters. They look like real "Kaiju", and give off that monstrous and creative portrayal. We'll have to wait and see how they act and work in film however.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

I think Gabora is my favorite! The drill pattern up the back leading to the neck drill is tight! Not to mention a great spin on Baragon's back pattern.