Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Gigantis »

Denis wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:01 am
Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:15 am So Shin Kamen Rider was recently announced (so hyped!). Looks like this’ll be a “Shin Anthology” about Tokusatsu icons. Really hoping it’s more than just a trilogy and we get Shin Gamera and Shin Super Sentai
That’s interesting got a link for it?
It just got it's own thread on the Reiwa section!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:15 am So Shin Kamen Rider was recently announced (so hyped!). Looks like this’ll be a “Shin Anthology” about Tokusatsu icons. Really hoping it’s more than just a trilogy and we get Shin Gamera and Shin Super Sentai

https://kotaku.com/hideaki-anno-is-dire ... 1846611861

Here ya go
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Kamen Rider looks really cool in a trenchcoat.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:12 am

https://kotaku.com/hideaki-anno-is-dire ... 1846611861

Here ya go
Wow interesting. Gamera’s 60th anniversary is coming up in about 4 years from now. Would be happy if Anno decides to do Shin Gamera.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

NSZ wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:07 am Good luck getting Kadokawa to release Gamera from the Gulag.
Saying it again for the people in the back.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

It’s funny cuz, like...they already made a Shin Kamen Rider in the 90s...

https://youtu.be/uL2XWMFUFvg
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji1986 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:08 am It’s funny cuz, like...they already made a Shin Kamen Rider in the 90s...

They made Shin Gamera in the 90's as well.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:58 pm
goji1986 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:08 am It’s funny cuz, like...they already made a Shin Kamen Rider in the 90s...

Aye, but I just mean the title is LITERALLY Shin Kamen Rider in Japanese. The official YouTube upload is the first time I’ve seen it called Masked Rider Shin.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:36 am
Gigantis wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:24 am
I mean, if Toho wants to really cash in on Shin Godzilla's success still, they could always call him up to work with Shin Mothra and Shin Rodan..
Eh...I really doubt that would ever happen. It seems Anno is focusing on the big hitter Toku icons and not their side characters/monsters. It’d be really cool though!
Mothra's always been more of a big deal in Japan, and has had her own movie trilogy. I could see Anno considering her more of a big hitter than we typically do here in the west.

Added in 2 minutes 41 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:37 pm Shin Gamera came out in 1995. Shin Mothra came out in 1996.
Disagree. I don't see those trilogies as being the "Shin" reboots of those franchises. Clearly Shin is more of a new marketing tool with Anno attached. So only movies with "Shin" in the name and Anno's involvement are Shin.

Added in 2 minutes 26 seconds:
NSZ wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:01 pm
NSZ wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:07 am Good luck getting Kadokawa to release Gamera from the Gulag.
Kadokawa would like to make money you know...

Added in 1 minute 7 seconds:

They really didn't. They did make this really awesome Gamera trilogy in the 90s though! It's not Shin, but maybe you should watch it?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:55 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:37 pm Shin Gamera came out in 1995. Shin Mothra came out in 1996.
Disagree. I don't see those trilogies as being the "Shin" reboots of those franchises. Clearly Shin is more of a new marketing tool with Anno attached. So only movies with "Shin" in the name and Anno's involvement are Shin.
Also, they don't do the other thing that the Shin reboots do: harken back to the franchise's roots. If they were true Shin films, Gamera would be an outright villain and Mothra would be travelling through completely different universes with a whole bunch of faries instead of just 2 or 3.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:59 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:55 pm
Also, they don't do the other thing that the Shin reboots do: harken back to the franchise's roots. If they were true Shin films, Gamera would be an outright villain and Mothra would be travelling through completely different universes with a whole bunch of faries instead of just 2 or 3.
True. The original Gamera film and the original intent of the franchise looked nothing like the 90s trilogy.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:59 pm
Gigantis wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:24 am

I mean, if Toho wants to really cash in on Shin Godzilla's success still, they could always call him up to work with Shin Mothra and Shin Rodan..
Eh...I really doubt that would ever happen. It seems Anno is focusing on the big hitter Toku icons and not their side characters/monsters. It’d be really cool though!
Mothra's always been more of a big deal in Japan, and has had her own movie trilogy. I could see Anno considering her more of a big hitter than we typically do here in the west.

They really didn't. They did make this really awesome Gamera trilogy in the 90s though! It's not Shin, but maybe you should watch it?
Toho called the rebirth of Mothra Shin Mothra it just means New in this context.

As for the trilogy Higuchi the other half of the Shin movement worked on the trilogy and the first movie was worked on as Shin Gamera.

And I've watched the 90's movies several times and owned them on multiple formats.

Instead of telling me to watch the Gamera trilogy you separate what your personal feelings on what Shin is be different from what Shin actually is.

You wanting Anno and Higuchi to remake or work on kaiju doesn't make them any more or any less Shin. If Shin Mothra and Shin Gamera came out it still wouldn't stop that fact that Leo is Shin Mothra as well.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:24 pm

Toho called the rebirth of Mothra Shin Mothra it just means New in this context.

As for the trilogy Higuchi the other half of the Shin movement worked on the trilogy and the first movie was worked on as Shin Gamera.

And I've watched the 90's movies several times and owned them on multiple formats.
They meant Shin only as "new", which is a separate thing from now where it's become a sort of brand. It's not that kind of "Shin", and that's what people are wanting to see now.

Same for Gamera. It's taking semantics and "so-and-so worked on this" to try and retcon old films to be a part of a new brand and ignoring the spirit of the thing now. The point is that's not "Shin" Mothra or "Shin" Gamera in regards to the new "Shin" reboot films of current times.

Added in 4 minutes 4 seconds:

Instead of telling me to watch the Gamera trilogy you separate what your personal feelings on what Shin is be different from what Shin actually is.

You wanting Anno and Higuchi to remake or work on kaiji doesn't make them any more or any less Shin. If Shin Mothra and Shin Gamera came out it still would stop that fact that Leo is Shin Mothra as well.
I don't have to separate my feelings on what Shin is different from what Shin is etc. You know what I and everyone else means when we're asking for a Shin Gamera.

You're talking about Shin just as the kanji, we're all clearly talking about it as the new films branded as Shin for this new series of Anno helmed reboots that started with Shin Godzilla. You're trying to argue a semantic battle, ignoring the spirit of what people actually mean and want and are talking about.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:34 pm

They meant Shin only as "new", which is a separate thing from now where it's become a sort of brand. It's not that kind of "Shin", and that's what people are wanting to see now.

Same for Gamera. It's taking semantics and "so-and-so worked on this" to try and retcon old films to be a part of a new brand and ignoring the spirit of the thing now. The point is that's not "Shin" Mothra or "Shin" Gamera in regards to the new "Shin" reboot films of current times.

You wanting Anno and Higuchi to remake or work on kaiji doesn't make them any more or any less Shin. If Shin Mothra and Shin Gamera came out it still would stop that fact that Leo is Shin Mothra as well.
I don't have to separate my feelings on what Shin is different from what Shin is etc. You know what I and everyone else means when we're asking for a Shin Gamera.

You're talking about Shin just as the kanji, we're all clearly talking about it as the new films branded as Shin for this new series of Anno helmed reboots that started with Shin Godzilla. You're trying to argue a semantic battle, ignoring the spirit of what people actually mean and want and are talking about.
And explain how a Shin Mothra now would be so different from the Mothra trilogy that me saying Shin Mothra already was done is so wrong.

And when you say Anno at the helm what does that mean exctually. The 90's Gamera films had Higuchi there and Anno isn't directing Shin Ultraman.

What is the separating factor and shouldn't we see Shin Ultraman first anyway before we even know if the Shin films have a similar narrative structure.

Yes the trailers between Shin Goji and Shin Ultra look similar and they are both modern retellings but that's due to the crews working on them being the same.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:09 pm And explain how a Shin Mothra now would be so different from the Mothra trilogy that me saying Shin Mothra already was done is so wrong.
Both Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman have made it clear that the Shin series is about going back to the subject's roots and dialing it up to 11. Mothra originated in The Luminous Fairies and Mothra, which had literally nothing in common with the Rebirth of Mothra series and delves into the mythology of Infant Island. For example, the way Mothra was born is literally a creation goddess offing herself.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:09 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:34 pm

And explain how a Shin Mothra now would be so different from the Mothra trilogy that me saying Shin Mothra already was done is so wrong.

And when you say Anno at the helm what does that mean exctually. The 90's Gamera films had Higuchi there and Anno isn't directing Shin Ultraman.

What is the separating factor and shouldn't we see Shin Ultraman first anyway before we even know if the Shin films have a similar narrative structure.

Yes the trailers between Shin Goji and Shin Ultra look similar and they are both modern retellings but that's due to the crews working on them being the same.
1. We don't know how different a Shin Mothra would be to the Mothra Rebirth trilogy, only that it's not Shin Mothra, so calling it Shin Mothra is wrong.

2. The 90s Gamera films had Higuchi, that doesn't make them part of the new Shin initiative or whatever you want to call it. And Anno is still a producer/writer/consultant/whatever-else-have-you on Shin Ultraman.

3. The separating factor is the success of Shin Godzilla and the desire for more films to be made in it's style and methodology. Which the earlier films clearly can't fit in.

4. EXACTLY!!!! Now you're getting it! We're asking for "similar and they are both modern retellings" "due to the crews working on them being the same." That's what is being discussed when people ask for a Shin Gamera or a Shin Mothra, so just saying "well the 90s are that" when it's just your opinion that the 90s are that, and ignoring that people are talking about wanting something new, just seems dismissive and willfully ignoring what we're really asking for.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:09 pm And explain how a Shin Mothra now would be so different from the Mothra trilogy that me saying Shin Mothra already was done is so wrong.
Both Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman have made it clear that the Shin series is about going back to the subject's roots and dialing it up to 11. Mothra originated in The Luminous Fairies and Mothra, which had literally nothing in common with the Rebirth of Mothra series and delves into the mythology of Infant Island. For example, the way Mothra was born is literally a creation goddess offing herself.
We don't know Shin Ultraman is dialed up to 11.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm For example, the way Mothra was born is literally a creation goddess offing herself.
Excuse me...what???
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:20 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm For example, the way Mothra was born is literally a creation goddess offing herself.
Excuse me...what???
Yup. There were two sibling gods, one light and one dark. Anyways, IIRC, something happened with the dark god that made his sister commit suicide. Specifically, she dismembered herself and her body parts turned into the fairies.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 pm Yup. There were two sibling gods, one light and one dark. Anyways, IIRC, something happened with the dark god that made his sister commit suicide. Specifically, she dismembered herself and her body parts turned into moths.
Woah...that sounds way too cool to have not been put into the original film lol

Well, hey, at least we have an overtly obvious reference to this in Heisei Mothra and Battra lol
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.