ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Well, after one show we're back to Zetton. That said, I'm confident we'll get a good portrayal (Possibly even a big homage to Farewell Ultraman in vein to the Nackle/Black King episode we got) given how well this show has treated most of its monsters. Aribunta is kind of a dissapointing choice too, since we just saw him in R/B (And Orb and Victory Fight), and it is weird he keeps showing up without Yapool, but again, I'm sure he'll be handled decently enough (Certainly better than his appearance in R/B). At least there's no Mecha Gomora or Gubira. But Takkong? Original Pandon (With Ghos!)? Holy god yes.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

So, is Anno directing Shin Ultraman or only writing and producing? I had figured they were going to do this the same way they did Shin godzilla but this article on io9 said this: Set to release in 2021, Shin Ultraman will once again see Anno partner up with Shin Godzilla’s director Shinji Higuchi, who will direct Shin Ultraman, while Anno will produce and write the screenplay.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/io9.gizmodo ... 864215/amp

If that is the case and Higuchi is directing alone, then any hope of this being any good just went out the window (Higuchi is one of the most inept director i've ever seen). I love the guy (he's one of my hero) but he is no director.
Hopefully the article is wrong and it is both of them directing Shin Ultraman!
Last edited by fred25_ca on Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

fred25_ca wrote:If that is the case and Higuchi is directing alone, then any hope of this being any good just went out the window (Higuchi is one of the most inept director i've ever seen). I love the guy (he's one of my hero) but he is no director.
Nope, that article is correct. Anno is writing the story and stuff, but Higuchi is directing it. I fully agree with you. I can certainly see Anno coming up with some interesting ideas (I really haven't ventured into any of his stuff outside of some of his 80s home movies and Shin Godzilla), and I certainly wouldn't mind a divergent incarnation of the character. But Higuchi in the director's chair isn't a good sign. The whole thing in general just strikes me as a cashgrab to mimic Shin Godzilla's success. And I really hope "Shin Ultraman" is just the working title, because I find that kind of cringey.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

So appears the movie Downsizing stole its plot from Ultra Q episode The 1/8 Project.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Imitation Ultraman Belial

Space Implosion Monster Uuraa

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Had a felling that Belial would get involved some how. Even if it’s an imitation, it’s cool to see him side by side with Tregear.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
fred25_ca wrote:If that is the case and Higuchi is directing alone, then any hope of this being any good just went out the window (Higuchi is one of the most inept director i've ever seen). I love the guy (he's one of my hero) but he is no director.
Nope, that article is correct. Anno is writing the story and stuff, but Higuchi is directing it. I fully agree with you. I can certainly see Anno coming up with some interesting ideas (I really haven't ventured into any of his stuff outside of some of his 80s home movies and Shin Godzilla), and I certainly wouldn't mind a divergent incarnation of the character. But Higuchi in the director's chair isn't a good sign. The whole thing in general just strikes me as a cashgrab to mimic Shin Godzilla's success. And I really hope "Shin Ultraman" is just the working title, because I find that kind of cringey.
And there goes any hope of this movie being any good. This is... Very disappointing. Also, a lot of people will be expecting this to be good since they will definately sell this as "from the same people that brought you Shin Godzilla". Most people will be very surprised by how bad this will turn out (Higuchi has directed at least 4 movies and they are all garbage). Sigh, i'm so depressed now...

At least Higuchi isn't directing a Shin Godzilla 2, which is what I originally expected.
Last edited by fred25_ca on Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I'm SO sick of Zero and Belial...
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

LamangoKaijura wrote:I'm SO sick of Zero and Belial...
I think we all are. Still, I have confidence that the episode itself will be good. Plus, we have already gotten some buildup to a hypothetical Belial clone with the Chibull having some of his DNA.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

So I bought the original Ultraman set today and I noticed Geed and Orb will drop on blu-ray later this month. Between Orb and Geed which do you guys recommend buying/watching first?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Vakanai wrote:So I bought the original Ultraman set today and I noticed Geed and Orb will drop on blu-ray later this month. Between Orb and Geed which do you guys recommend buying/watching first?
Definitely Orb.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

It’s quite disappointing that Anno isn’t in the director’s chair, especially considering I’d really like to see how he would attempt the cinematography especially considering how much evangelions was inspired by the ultra man tv show. At the very least, I hope this creates a shin anthology series, which instead of being sequels to shin Godzilla, continues with the “true reinterpretation” aspect as it recreates various old tokusatsu films.
He Jock it Made of Steel

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Jetty_Jags wrote:It’s quite disappointing that Anno isn’t in the director’s chair, especially considering I’d really like to see how he would attempt the cinematography especially considering how much evangelions was inspired by the ultra man tv show. At the very least, I hope this creates a shin anthology series, which instead of being sequels to shin Godzilla, continues with the “true reinterpretation” aspect as it recreates various old tokusatsu films.
Yeah, but what's the point if this is going to be an unwachable train wreck like the Attack on titans movies? I truly hope this has no connections to Shin Godzilla. For the life of me, I can't understand why any studios would ever want to hire Higuchi after the Attack movies. :/
Clearly if Shin Godzilla was so good, it was all because of Anno...
Last edited by fred25_ca on Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

By anthology series, I meant each series stands on its own. Almost like twilight zone in nature, where they share the same titling, but each exist in their own universe.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

I like Kirisaki/Tregear more than Jugglus Juggler. I like Taiga more than Orb. Hell, this entire series is better than Orb for me. I’ve never seen an Ultraman series with this many solid episodes since X. Also, applause is due because they managed to create a weighty story within the confines of (Japanese) Saturday morning TV, something than only Heisei Kamen Rider has done beforehand. I love Taiga immensely and long may this boost in quality continue.

Tangent done.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Any other thoughts on Taiga from people who've seen it?
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:Any other thoughts on Taiga from people who've seen it?
It's pretty freaking fantastic. Solid episode after solid episode, tremendous production values, fun monster choices, it's pretty much a perfect Ultraman show. It's a lot lighter on overarching plot than the past fewm but I'm perfectly fine with that when individual episodes are as good as Taiga's can be. Some of the alien choices are a little disappointing (It's clear they're just using whatever masks they have on hand, though Perolynga and Ghos are great to see), likewise the high abundance of humanoid aliens (All of whom are the "good" ones, whereas the ones that explicitly don't look like us are often bad, which is a bit questionable, even if the show's message of unity is nice), but it's a pretty minor complaint. I hate that stupid sword, though it's clear everyone involved with it does too (Except Bandai).

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:Any other thoughts on Taiga from people who've seen it?
It's pretty freaking fantastic. Solid episode after solid episode, tremendous production values, fun monster choices, it's pretty much a perfect Ultraman show. It's a lot lighter on overarching plot than the past fewm but I'm perfectly fine with that when individual episodes are as good as Taiga's can be. Some of the alien choices are a little disappointing (It's clear they're just using whatever masks they have on hand, though Perolynga and Ghos are great to see), likewise the high abundance of humanoid aliens (All of whom are the "good" ones, whereas the ones that explicitly don't look like us are often bad, which is a bit questionable, even if the show's message of unity is nice), but it's a pretty minor complaint. I hate that stupid sword, though it's clear everyone involved with it does too (Except Bandai).
Do they ever feature a rendition of Ultraman Jonias's theme?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I had a great time watching the Netflix Ultraman series a few months ago, what did you guys think of it?

I was suprised to see
Spoiler:
Ultraseven and Ace, I havent seen their original series, respectively. I quite liked how they were incorporated into the story here.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

LegendZilla wrote:Do they ever feature a rendition of Ultraman Jonias's theme?
I mean, he hasn't appeared, so no.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I had a great time watching the Netflix Ultraman series a few months ago, what did you guys think of it?
Just a pretty generic 2010s anime (At least that's what it struck me as). I did enjoy the first few episodes, but once the stalkerish Pigmon dude appeared, I began to lose interest, and by the time of Hokuto's arrival, I couldn't even follow what was going on. That said, I am glad it's getting a second season since it might tie some loose ends. But its easily the weakest Ultraman show for me (Aside from maybe Ginga and Orb Origin).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.