Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Vakanai »

tbeasley wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:53 pm From September 10th so sorry if this is old news, but I think we might be getting a 2022 release for this -

Tsuburaya Productions Cancels Event, More Details on Shin Ultraman to Be Revealed Soon
Tsuburaya Productions announced yesterday that they had to cancel their upcoming TSUBURAYA CONVENTION 2021 due to COVID-19 concerns. Alongside this, the official Twitter account for the upcoming Shin Ultraman film, from the team behind Shin Godzilla, announced that more information on the film was set to be released during the event but will now be released another way.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:07 pm Well, according to what I’ve read about that event, it’s a bi-yearly thing, and they’ll still do some online event or something. While Covid-19 is clearly the catalyst, I think it’s part of a larger part of Japanese companies realizing that while in person events are fun, they can just reach a more massive audience if they do things online.
So when was the convention supposed to be? That date might still be when they'll release details online.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Kaijuboi
Yojimbo

Post by Kaijuboi »

judging how they've announced more actors, it might be a sign of new footage shooting or not

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Kaijuboi wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:16 am judging how they've announced more actors, it might be a sign of new footage shooting or not
Wait, they've announced more actors?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaijuboi wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:16 am judging how they've announced more actors, it might be a sign of new footage shooting or not
Or that they never revealed the full cast? :roll:

(I really have no clue what is this strange fascination with new/changed footage for Shin Ultraman specifically)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Speaking of has anyone seen the thre Shins Anno created all standing next to each other. It was nice seeing them.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:58 pm Speaking of has anyone seen the thre Shins Anno created all standing next to each other. It was nice seeing them.
No. Please share!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:58 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:58 pm Speaking of has anyone seen the thre Shins Anno created all standing next to each other. It was nice seeing them.
No. Please share!
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:19 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:58 pm
No. Please share!
That's awesome. All they have to do now is turn all three figures towards each other...

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know I may've said this before, but it kinda sucks that Anno and co did not put much effort into re-imagining Ultraman and KR design wise. Regardless of how I feel about Shin Goji, I at least acknowledge the effort put into redesigning the King of the Monsters. All they did with Ultraman is elongate his body ever so slightly and remove the color timer.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:19 pm Image
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:40 pm I know I may've said this before, but it kinda sucks that Anno and co did not put much effort into re-imagining Ultraman and KR design wise. Regardless of how I feel about Shin Goji, I at least acknowledge the effort put into redesigning the King of the Monsters. All they did with Ultraman is elongate his body ever so slightly and remove the color timer.
Godzilla is a more extreme version of what was originally designed while Ultraman and Kamen Rider are based on the orginal versions.

Considering what Anno has tried to do and has done Godzilla was designed too far from the 54 design.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I hope this gets released stateside. I wouldn't be surprised.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Yeah part of me can't help but wonder what a more 'traditional' Shin Godzilla would look like, but I think they had to do something different following the Legendary film (a 'traditional' antiheroic Godzilla audiences could root for).

Kaijuboi
Yojimbo

Post by Kaijuboi »

Shin neronga and gabora are the closest we'll ever get to a shin baragon in our lifetimes

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Gosh, it's pretty incredible that Anno has had the chance to play with the three of Japan's biggest icons. Also pretty incredible we're likely to get Shin Kamen Rider and Ultraman in the same year (and of course by we I mean Japanese audiences while we in the west get to try and dodge spoilers. :lol: )
What do you guys think the over/under of Shin Ultraman getting a limited theatrical release in the States is?
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:16 am What do you guys think the over/under of Shin Ultraman getting a limited theatrical release in the States is?
I'm willing to bet it won't. Godzilla's a much more well-known IP than Ultraman, and having your writer be the guy behind some anime about a depressed kid's mom being a cyborg kaiju can only take you so far. It'll probably go to streaming, likely Amazon Prime.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

'From the creators of Evangelion and Shin Godzilla' is going to be a major selling point, you can't downplay either. You get crossover appeal from anime/manga fans, kaiju/tokusatsu fans, genre fans in general (sci-fi/fantasy), even comic book/superhero fans.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

A few of the Zero movies did get limited releases in the States a la Shin Godzilla. I'm holding out hope to see Ultraman shwaa on the big screen
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think we would have seen a limited theatrical run of Shin Godzilla had it not been a runaway success in Japan; I think the same will be true for Shin Ultraman.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:25 am I don't think we would have seen a limited theatrical run of Shin Godzilla had it not been a runaway success in Japan; I think the same will be true for Shin Ultraman.
Shin got a limited release in part do to iG14 and Godzilla's previous history in the States in addition to previouslimited releases. Without G14 and other limited releases I don't know if we get Shin subbed, likely a limited dubbed release or a full blown American cut.

I would say Shin Ultra will get a limited release for similar reasons but also because limited releases are becoming more popular.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image