Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by LegendZilla »

Do you thin that Andro Melos will receive a Mill Creek release? I know it's not technically an Ultra-show, but I consider it part of the Ultra-canon.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:05 pm Do you thin that Andro Melos will receive a Mill Creek release? I know it's not technically an Ultra-show, but I consider it part of the Ultra-canon.
Isn't that show lost media?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:05 pm Do you thin that Andro Melos will receive a Mill Creek release? I know it's not technically an Ultra-show, but I consider it part of the Ultra-canon.
It is not part of the current agreement MC has with TPC. I personally would love to see all these episodes. There are a couple on YouTube, but the quality is very poor. It may or may not be true, but I've heard rumors that TPC themselves do not have any quality master video copies of this series, which means it will probably never be released in any form. I'm not sure if it has ever even been released in Japan.

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:05 pm https://twitter.com/shininghubee/status ... 63686?s=20

Absolute skreeonking joke. I knew it was gonna happen eventually.

Context: The Mill Creek release of The Ultraman uses the old TokuHD subs which are essentially machine-translated. So glad I stopped at Leo.
Gridman was the same way allegedly. Although I only watched the first few episodes, the translation didn't seem horrible. It may get worse later I don't know. While it is cheap, and frustrating, I'd rather have this than nothing. Prior to recent years, there were a lot worse options for machine translations.

Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:24 pm
Isn't that show lost media?
According to the Japanese Wikipedia entry, at least some episodes were released on DVD, so apparently not.

But Mill Creek will not be releasing it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the list of titles that Keith Aiken revealed a while back (StreamOfKaijuness has posted this list several times in this thread but I'm too lazy to find it). It's also extremely obscure even by Ultraman standards.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

...yet Bandai has included Mecha Baltan in various Ultramonster toy lines over the past 30 years, so go figure.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Finally got a shipping notice from Amazon. They will be to.me on Thursday. At least I can have the weekend to enjoy them.
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

o.supreme wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:32 pm Finally got a shipping notice from Amazon. They will be to.me on Thursday. At least I can have the weekend to enjoy them.
Same I was worried about Ultraman 80 because that didn't ship until today and The Ultraman shipped yesterday, but they should both be here tomorrow.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Watched the first 4 episodes of the Anime. I was actually surprised to see how close the dub of "Ultraman.II" is to the original. Now to enjoy the rest which is mostly new to me, with the exception of a couple random episodes.

After looking at the episode guide. I wonder if "The Adventures of Ultraman" is just the last 4 episodes? That film seems a bit choppy and incoherent, and there is only the monster from the last episode, why they would cut out other monster fights is beyond me.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

My email update for The and 80 is expect them on 22nd
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Watched a random episode of both as quality control. The Ultraman subs are a bit wonky, but still readable. A bigger issue: the subs are oriented to the left instead of centered. 80 subs seem fine in content and are centered properly.

Packaging is really cool. The TDG sets should look really nice, and I'm a bit sad we didn't get chunky boxes for the releases of the newer shows.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

I ordered Ultraman 80 Thursday afternoon and got yesterday afternoon.

Hopefully there won't be more supply and shipping problems, but I am not holding my breath.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Watched the first three episodes of 80 and so far its pretty good. Despite being DVD the quality is still pretty good. Not as good as Blu-Ray but still decent. Really hoping Tsuburaya releases the BD of these soon so we can get them state side.

As for Tiga through Cosmos (I think those where the shows shot the same) we're essentially stuck with DVD for those correct? Or is it possible for Tsuburaya to go back and remaster those in HD?
Last edited by gvamp on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

gvamp wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:20 pm As for Tiga through Cosmos (I think those where the shows shot the same) we're essentially stuck with DVD for those correct? Or is it possible for Tsuburaya to go back and remaster those in HD?
Nope, Tiga through Mebius were shot on SD video, so there's no way to remaster the original footage to high definition.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm
gvamp wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:20 pm As for Tiga through Cosmos (I think those where the shows shot the same) we're essentially stuck with DVD for those correct? Or is it possible for Tsuburaya to go back and remaster those in HD?
Nope, Tiga through Mebius were shot on SD video, so there's no way to remaster the original footage to high definition.
I wonder then why the old US Tiga DVDs seemed to have grain and some small print damage. At least now when I watched the first episode again, I think I saw something like that.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Is there a chance the Mebius movies and specials could be on Blu-Ray or were they shot like TV as well?
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Both the 2006 film Ultraman Mebius & Ultraman Brothers, as well as 2008 Superior Ultraman 8 Brothers were released theatrically. I believe they have both been released as BRD in Japan (not that that necessarily means anything as we've seen some series released by TPC as BRD, but MC gets SD materials, and MC has even released one series on BRD that TPC hasn't yet). It stands to reason these 2 films would get a BRD release from MC. Not sure about the side stories. I seem t recall conflicting information, that initially the films would be released separately, but then also notions that MC wanted the most value for their sets, and to release as much as they could altogether.

Honestly, as Mebius is one of my favorite series to date. I'd rather just get the series as a set in SD, and the 2 movies as BRD separately. The side stories can just get bundled with the series (If SD), or along with the 2 movies (if HD)

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

For anyone in the US or Canada who hasn't gotten Mill Creek's DVD releases of The Ultraman or Ultraman 80 yet, SciFi Japan is giving away four DVD bundles as prizes in a promotional contest that runs through this Wednesday, September 22.

From the SciFi Japan Facebook page in July 2020:

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm
That's what I thought sucks we can't get proper HD masters but oh well I'll be glad just to own official releases for shows after Tiga.

PC Specs

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I understand keeping the sets format consistent because otherwise it'd be confusing, but I sure hope we get separate Blu-ray releases for the spinoff movies as they're all shot on film and there's nothing holding those back from HD releases. They've done a bunch of separate movie releases before, so there's precedent.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Finishing Gridman. It's funny, the subtitles are not good, but are so consistent you become used to it. The occasional awkward phrase and wrong tenses is like listening to someone who speaks English as a second language; once you listen for a minute you get used to it and your brain essentially corrects it. I felt like I stopped noticing it a few episodes in!

Anyway, show is pretty good. It's neat how the cast is at that 'growth spurt' age that you could do more kid stuff early in the series and teen stuff by the end. The whole wistful 'end of childhood' angle... wonder if that was intended from the beginning or they picked up on it later?