Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

SaiyanRider54 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:08 pm So my Leo, MMB, and Zero sets didn’t come with booklets. Is this normal? Just making sure since I remember that being a mistake a while back that a couple releases were missing their booklets.
My Leo set did. Other two didn't.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

SciFi Japan has more information about DeepDiscount’s next upcoming exclusive blu-ray disc. It will include a newly produced, 5-part bonus feature called Secrets of The Rise of Ultraman, which will be part franchise retrospective and part promotion for Marvel's The Rise of Ultraman comic book series! That's in addition to the nine episodes of the original series that will include the classic English dubbing as an audio option.

SaiyanRider54 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:08 pm So my Leo, MMB, and Zero sets didn’t come with booklets. Is this normal? Just making sure since I remember that being a mistake a while back that a couple releases were missing their booklets.
The Ultra Galaxy and Ultraman Zero sets don’t have booklets but Ultraman Leo should have one, with the same red color and formatting as the other Showa series booklets.

Previously, Mill Creek didn’t produce booklets for Ultraman Orb: The Origin Saga or Neo Ultra Q, both of which were 2-disc sets with lower retail prices. Some early copies of the Ultraman Ginga set were mistakenly released without booklets but Mill Creek has since corrected that.

From the post about Secrets of The Rise of Ultraman on SciFi Japan’s Facebook page:

Angilasman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:32 am Keith Aiken said on Facebook that they're doing a new subtitle translation for Gridman. Mill Creek teasing exciting announcements for Ultraman Day next month.

And, on a personal note: the Zero movies will arrive at my home this weekend. We eatin' good. 👍
Great news indeed!

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 am So I mean...are these dubs just scattered about the planet like Dragon Balls...to the point where they 'find 7-9, then we need to do a Blu Ray release, then we can find the next 7-9, then do another release'....are these Dubs THAT scattered and hard to find and put together? I'm no expert, so maybe they are.

It just seems like an odd pattern...and wouldn't it be more worthwhile to find them all? Or try to find a consecutive amount...like episode 1-10, then focus on the next batch?

Just seems weird to go about it so randomly...and then put together these pretty well rounded releases, just for them to be kind of shotgun-random-sprayed onto these releases in pretty random batches?

I'm no expert, it just seems like not the best strategy....or at least carries a bit of a transparent "We are going to double dip all of this later" type of vibe.

TPC wants only the original audio masters for the English dubs to be included on these releases, not any of the low-quality TV broadcast audio rips that were included on the previous, Chaiyo-licensed Ultraman DVDs.

gvamp wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:50 pm Got my sets in yesterday and no issues what so ever. One of the discs was loose on the Ultraman Zero set but it was fine no major damage. It'll probably be awhile before I get to them as I want to watch the series in order of release because I heard a lot of the newer series have callbacks to older series.
Yeah, I'm doing the same thing. I'm collecting every Ultra release from Mill Creek but I haven't yet watched any of the modern shows other than Neo Ultra Q (which rocks).

Right now I'm watching Ultraman Leo, which I'll follow with Ultraman 80 and then Ultraman Mebius whether they're available from Mill Creek by that point or not. After that, I'll proceed to Ultra Galaxy: Mega Monster Battle and then I'll finally watch all of these Ultraman films and shows that have been released in the years since.

I have seen every episode of Ultraman Tiga, Ultraman Nexus, Ultraman Max and UltraSeven X. I'm a fan of all of them. It'll be great when Mill Creek starts releasing shows from the '90s and the rest of the 2000s in whatever format they end up taking.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

I have to wonder what will transpire when they get to Ultraman Tiga, considering the relationship with Hiroshi Nagano and Johnnys.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Considering how MC used an alternate opening song for Ginga, I'm definitely holding on to my Tiga Funimation DVDs, even after MC eventually releases it themselves.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

o.supreme wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:53 am Considering how MC used an alternate opening song for Ginga, I'm definitely holding on to my Tiga Funimation DVDs, even after MC eventually releases it themselves.
The opening song is my main issue with the series but I’m sure TPC just had them do that since that was how it was used on Crunchyroll and Toku. The explanation for why that happened to begin with I’ve never heard.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Isn't The Ultraman (the first animated show featuring Jonias) part of the Showa series or is it a standalone show kind of like Ultraman Towards the Future?
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

gvamp wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:51 pm Isn't The Ultraman (the first animated show featuring Jonias) part of the Showa series or is it a standalone show kind of like Ultraman Towards the Future?
On its own.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:18 pm
gvamp wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:51 pm Isn't The Ultraman (the first animated show featuring Jonias) part of the Showa series or is it a standalone show kind of like Ultraman Towards the Future?
On its own.
Thanks for the information.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

If you count 1979's Ultraman: The Great Decisive Monster Battle, then Joe kinda exists in the classic timeline.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Showa time period vs Showa universe can get kind of confusing especially since many Ultra Series have been retconned to fit into the Showa Universe. I still think the mural/box set should have had 9 entries (adding The Ultraman and Ultraman 80) instead of just 7. But if (as we may speculate), 80 is possibly released on DVD instead of BRD, that may be the greater reason for doing so.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Thanks for clarification on the Dub release of the OG Ultraman. I honestly can't blame them for wanting to do releases and give fans ANY amount of Dubbed episodes while they can, while also making money off of those releases.

My dad grew up on the Dub of the original Ultraman. So I am very interested in gifting it to him for nostalgia...but he would never watch the series Subbed.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

TheJapanther
Young Farmer

Post by TheJapanther »

The Ultraman (1979) takes place in a different universe than the other showa shows. But it still takes place in the same multiverse, which is the reason why Ultraman Joneus appeared in the absolute conspiracy.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

With Ultraman Day coming up July 10th I'm thinking Tsuburaya as well as Mill Creek are going to announce a release for Ultraman 80 on BD. Isn't that the last of the Showa series that needs a Blu-Ray release? Maybe Mill Creek will announce the that they got the license for more Ultra shows.

PC Specs

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm kinda funny, two Ultra Series can't be more different than Nexus and Cosmos and yet those are probably my two favorite shows thus far. I rather liked Gaia as well though it took a bit longer to get going than the other two. That said Gaia probably had the most satisfying conclusion of the three. Too bad the ending of Nexus was rushed like it was. Shame when a production isn't allowed to have the proper conclusion it deserves.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

To add to The Ultraman topic, while it does fall into the Showa era, but not the continuity as others have stated, it, the compilation films, and 80 are part of what's considered to be the third part of that period, which was a sort of attempted revival for the franchise after the hiatus Leo left it in.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Ok, after having watched everything on Mill Creeks new releases, I wonder why they didn't include Ultra Zero Fight with the Zero set? It is the one bit of new content set after the Saga movie, but before Ginga, that we don't currently have. It would seem a waste to put it on its own release.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

o.supreme wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:20 am Ok, after having watched everything on Mill Creeks new releases, I wonder why they didn't include Ultra Zero Fight with the Zero set? It is the one bit of new content set after the Saga movie, but before Ginga, that we don't currently have. It would seem a waste to put it on its own release.
From the SciFi Japan page on Facebook:

o.supreme wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:44 am I still think the mural/box set should have had 9 entries (adding The Ultraman and Ultraman 80) instead of just 7. But if (as we may speculate), 80 is possibly released on DVD instead of BRD, that may be the greater reason for doing so.
From last July:

TPC also started uploading HD remastered episodes of Ultraman 80 to their Japanese YouTube channel this past Fall.

Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:56 am Thanks for clarification on the Dub release of the OG Ultraman. I honestly can't blame them for wanting to do releases and give fans ANY amount of Dubbed episodes while they can, while also making money off of those releases.

My dad grew up on the Dub of the original Ultraman. So I am very interested in gifting it to him for nostalgia...but he would never watch the series Subbed.
If you don't want to wait any longer, and if your dad isn't picky about A/V quality, Mill Creek's 2009 Ultraman complete series DVD set is still available from third-party sellers through Amazon and Walmart. That set crams all 39 episodes onto four DVDs with the classic English dub as a second audio option, which was ripped from edited broadcast TV recordings for most of the episodes, so there are occasional moments when the English audio will revert to the original Japanese.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

More pedantically, the dubbed audio on the BCI volumes is actually from long-circulating bootlegs which synced (sometimes very poorly) the audio from edited TV recordings to the Japanese Laserdisc masters -- that is, except for the first four episodes. BCI's audio for those episodes comes from the officially-licensed Expressions in Animation VHS release (1996), which featured fully uncut dubbed versions (albeit with some tweaks to the music and sound effects).
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

So I had the Expressions in Animation VHS, and that raises another question. If Mill Creek is really getting "all" the unedited English dubs of the original series that TPC is discovering as they find them, then how come neither the Birth Blu Ray from last year, nor this years release ( For Rise) has episode 4? Unless it was lost again after the VHS came out?
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

This just kinda popped up out of nowhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097CQ4ZRC/re ... UTF8&psc=1
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.