The Gorilla Whale Hub

A place to play and organize role playing games on the forums with others. "Mafia" games welcome.
Dr. Carter
Monarch Researcher

Re: The Gorilla Whale Hub

Post by Dr. Carter »

Still here too, just haven't been up to chatting around here lately, nor with rping in Kaiju settings. Star Fox rp has been what my muse has been up for though, but when this returns, hopefully I'll have the proper muse to get back into the groove with my characters here.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Wait, so what's going on?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Breakdown wrote:Wait, so what's going on?
This RPG is dead, but 165 plans to make a new one with a better story so it can actually live and might even be played through till the end.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Hopefully we can get it right this time once and for all
ImageImage

Dr. Carter
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dr. Carter »

Hopefully, though I'm surprised that we're rebooting this once more. However; if that's what it takes to get this right, then that's what it takes. As long as we can get it going again in some shape or form.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dr. Carter wrote:Hopefully, though I'm surprised that we're rebooting this once more. However; if that's what it takes to get this right, then that's what it takes. As long as we can get it going again in some shape or form.
I'll certainly be here to see it through. Glad we're taking the stories into account this time instead of just trudging along. :lol:

Oh and 165, when this starts, can i be Kong?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

All right, so clearly gross Domino's pizza and Lipton Half-and-Half tea are brain food, because all of a sudden I'm on a creative kick and have had ideas. :shock:

The main issue (besides our sorry attention spans) with our Godziller RPGs lately has been a lack of defined setting and planned story. Everyone usually has their own vision, and we just throw a bunch of ingredients into the blender and pray that they turn into something edible. It usually doesn't work. Then there was Emergence, which had a plan and was a blast, firing on most cylinders until KaijuCanuck ran out of spare time. So with that said, here's my rough outline for a game that takes the basic concepts 165 has lined up, and fuses them with a partial story I've cobbled together over the last two hours.

First off, it's another reboot, though some of what we had going can be reworked to fit into it. Basically, conspiracy theorists are right: history and science as we know them are lies, a bunch of bullcrap we've been spoon-fed for thousands of years... by evil aliens. The Exif, to be precise. They arrived on Earth several millennia ago, and found a thriving planet teeming with kaiju, godlike beings tapped into the universe's natural Mana fields and capable of (intentionally or not; their intelligence and awareness vary) controlling the very forces of nature, shaping the environment in their own images. Said environment wasn't the Garden of Eden; the kaiju were often violent and quarrelsome, and there was danger and struggle. But together, they found equilibrium and they forged the world into a hard, balanced sort of paradise where the strong, the smart, and the wise could carve out a niche for themselves and flourish.

All sorts of lesser life forms rose to this challenge and thrived in the shadows of their mighty overlords, humans among them. Through our intelligence and drive to explore and invent, we studied the kaiju and even learned to imitate them, to a point, developing control of Mana and using its power to hold our own. Great civilizations arose, the Seatopians, the Atlanteans, the Cosmos, the Azumi, the Mu, wielding science and magic beyond the comprehension of modern man, and living in harmony with benevolent kaiju such as Mothra and Gamera.

Well, the Exif couldn't have this, of course. Their God had other ideas for what Earth should be. So they infiltrated the human societies, quietly whispering in willing ears where they could be found, spreading discord. Wars and chaos broke out, and the Exif took advantage of this to introduce some MacGuffin or other that screws everything right the hell up, throwing off the Mana fields and causing everything to come undone. The kaiju are killed off or go into hibernation, and the surviving humans are unknowingly shepherded by the Exif into picking up the pieces and becoming the new masters of the Earth. Everything we once knew was lost or replaced, and now, in the present day, we've successfully created a world of strife and misery. We humans are numerous, but ravaged by war, corruption, greed, poverty, crime, disease, and all manner of other self-inflicted hardship. Worse, without the guiding influence of the kaiju, the planet itself is barely functioning. Much of the life that once covered the globe is extinct or on its way out, weather systems are becoming unstable, the atmosphere is heating up uncontrollably. Everything is on the verge of collapse, and all that's needed is for a three-headed King of Terror to come along and give it one good, hard push.

So (to summarize quickly because I'm on lunch and have to get back to work) now the kaiju have to be awakened and save the world. But the Exif MacGuffin is throwing them off, and some (especially Godzilla) are mindless rage monsters with no connection to Mana. A plucky team of human heroes will need to journey into the center of the hollow earth, uncover the truth about the past, and destroy the MacGuffin in order to allow the kaiju to reclaim their lost power, retake their planet, and kill Ghidorah.

So it's basically a mix of what we already have, a lot of Monster verse, some GMK, some anime trilogy, and some unapologetic ripoff of Emergence. I'm very open to additions and revisions if we go with something like this, and I call Rodan.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Dang, dude. I'll have some of that gross Domino's pizza and Lipton tea.

I like the idea/concept of the mana fields. It reminds me of the Elder Dragons' cycle in Guild Wars. Low magic levels in the world -> "I sleep". High magic levels in the world -> "I AWAKE and nom the magic".

I think a zone inspired from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s "The Zone" could easily work in that RPG-to-be and be really cool. A place where there is a big hole in the mana fields/network, analogous to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s "noosphere", and so the nature/environment just... Doesn't work right. Full of mutants and weird weathers and stuffs. Not just weakened. I mean a downright hole. It would emphasize how catastrophic mishandling the mana fields leads to disaster.

And yes hello, this is the person that said they would join and never did because they couldn't decide which bear to RP with.
Last edited by Beast Blood on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Cool. I haven't given any thought to what the Exif used to cause the destabilization or the details of its location, so something like that could definitely work.

And to clarify something I was vague on, Godzilla should be connected to the mana, and if he's going to be mindless rage, it's at least partially due to the loss of said connection. I know 165 has a concept for that type of Godzilla already in place, so this is up to him. I'm not really sure about this concept; maybe the kaiju are just weakened and confused without their mana. They won't be any match for Ghidorah, either way.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Yeah no, I very much like the idea, JAG. And, since my version of Godzilla already has a sort of, "PTSD", from his fiery inception that turns him into a violent, mindless rage monster... It would, in theory, fit in quite seamlessly. It would setup for Ghidorah to be the ultimate terror regardless.

#BotM

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Now, there is the sticky issue of origins. If the kaiju are thousands of years old and came about naturally, or were man-made in ancient times like, say, King Seesar (who I'm also going to tentatively claim), then I don't know what, if any, nuclear ties there would be. Hmm. I guess there are four possibilities:

1. Godzilla is an ancient, mystical kaiju with no ties to nuclear weapons.

2. Godzilla is an ancient, mystical kaiju who was irradiated upon awakening and altered in some way from whatever he was originally.

3. Godzilla was just a typical dinosaur in the past, and somehow survived to be mutated in the present day.

4. Godzilla was born recently (one way or another) and has no connection to the ancient kaiju era.

In either of the latter cases, Godzilla isn't one of the old kaiju, and therefore has little or no relationship with them. He'll be fighting an uphill battle to integrate into whatever passes for their society, let alone be taken seriously as anything like their 'king'.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

JAGzilla wrote:2. Godzilla is an ancient, mystical kaiju who was irradiated upon awakening and altered in some way from whatever he was originally.
I think this fits the best. No conflicts with the other kaiju's origins and gives him reason to be triggered at people.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Agreed, I think number 2 would work the best as it would still keep in line his nuclear origins and disdain for mankind, whilst also maintaining the mystical properties at the same time.

#BotM

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I think this time around I'm going to reintroduce Baronga from the oooold version of this RP, as well as his arch nemesis.
ImageImage

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

In addition to Kong, i might also call dibs on Pagos from Ultra Q (Ultraman kaiju are allowed right?). Now i just gotta find out how to balance myself between this, K.W.C and Hunters Moon..

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Yeah you're good, this wouldn't officially begin for a little while.

#BotM

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yeah, I wouldn't want to mess up Hunter's Moon or BOTM. They should wind down first.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

I personally can handle three RPGs at once. The lulls between posts allow me to conserve energy so I don't get burned out.

Also, probably a stupid question, but I assume original kaiju would still be allowed? lol

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Beast Blood wrote:I personally can handle three RPGs at once. The lulls between posts allow me to conserve energy so I don't get burned out.

Also, probably a stupid question, but I assume original kaiju would still be allowed? lol
Yeah, but these games die very easily. Introducing too much competition might snuff some out.

And yes, I see no reason not to allow OCs. For that matter, I imagine there would be all sorts of lesser monsters living in the kaiju ecosystems once those get re-established, things along the lines of the Skull Island menagerie. Feel free to go crazy with those.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I'd be down it if started soon tbh.
ImageImage