On Official Speed Stats

Discuss and analyze various feats!
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

On Official Speed Stats

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Would you say Desghidorah is faster than Megaguirus? Because according to the official speed stats of both monsters, Desghidorah is over five times as fast as Megaguirus in flight.

That? Oh Desghidorah could make that look like slow motion, according to his official top flight speed stat of Mach 23. This is also almost twice the speed needed to literally disappear from human sight.

Now, obviously that is absurd, however, lower speed stats are still taken fully seriously. Like Heisei Rodan and Showa Mothra both listed at being capable of flying at Mach 3 despite the two clearly flying at completely different speeds in their respective movies. or Megaguirus at Mach 4 despite the fact that she is clearly moving far faster than four thirds the speed of the two previously mentioned. Would you say Showa Rodan can only fly half as fast as his Heisei counterpart and Showa Mothra? That’s what the official stats say, but the movies portray a different story for certain.

I bring this up because I see people bringing it up usually in flying monster vs flying monster debates, especially in the context of MV kaiju. MV Rodan can only fly at “above Mach 1” and MV Ghidorah at Mach 0.85, so clearly in an aerial battle, both would be horribly outclassed by Toho’s flyers, right?

Except, those two also display a very clear level of agility that Toho’s flyers do not, and in Rodan’s case still demonstrate a level of on-screen speed that most of Toho’s flyers do not. In fact, further demonstration of the bullshit of official stats, if MV Rodan is only just “above Mach 1”, how is he keeping up with and even outpacing modern fighter jets that can move at least up to Mach 2 or 3?

Toho (and Legendary) just pulls numbers out of its ass to put on the official stats. The fact that Monster X, who is the same height as Godzilla, is listed as being the same height as Destoroyah, who blatantly towers over Godzilla, should be enough to tell you that. And while things like weight and height can at least usually be trusted and bare minimum used as a guideline for FMs unless they’re blatantly wrong, the speed stats all have no basis in anything on screen. Just go off what we see on screen when it comes to debating how fast kaiju can move.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Re: On Official Speed Stats

Post by Voyager »

Showa King Ghidorah is...

Mach 400... I ain’t even shitting you. Atleast it’s in space, so I guess it’s believable.
For Emperor and Empire!

Nagoda
Futurian

Post by Nagoda »

Showa Gigan also goes Mach 400 in space as well in his Diamond.
A reminder to watch Chouseishin Gransazers.
_______
A semi-talented Chibi who is always tired.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 am In fact, further demonstration of the bullshit of official stats, if MV Rodan is only just “above Mach 1”, how is he keeping up with and even outpacing modern fighter jets that can move at least up to Mach 2 or 3?
To be fair to Rodan, there is a clear explanation. Most fighter jets don’t go full speed when in combat. It’d be very hard to manoeuvre at Mach 2 or 3 without the pilot succumbing to the G’s they’d be taking, or without the wings or other parts of the planes ripping off.
For Emperor and Empire!

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Just because a monster has a listed flight speed, that doesn't mean they're always going that fast all the time. That's just their top speed. It has nothing to do with how fast they actually move in combat. This is something I've been saying in FMs for like a decade at this point, and I dunno why people have so much trouble with the concept. Your car probably has a top speed well over 100 mph, but that doesn't mean you go that fast when taking a trip to the grocery store.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma