Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah (Anime Trilogy)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah (Anime Trilogy)

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Why are your honest opinion on the 3 noodle neck, I mean King Ghidorah from the Anime Trilogy.

godjacob
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah (Anime Trilogy)

Post by godjacob »

I like the eldritch theming with this Ghidorah. I like the whole cult built around Ghidorah, adds this sort of nightmare fuel that perfectly fits what Ghidorah should be. However, much like so many things in this series, the execution falls flat. While far from as bad as Mechagodzilla, Ghidorah just ends up showing up to blow up the space station and then bites Godzilla for 40 something minutes as they just stand there. Then he becomes tangible and Godzilla curb stomps him in 2 shots.

What a letdown.

It's design is also ugly IMO and leaves no room for emotion making it come off as bland with the rest of the film having to build up its aura for it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Introduction was great. Everything after was a letdown.

As usual, that one fan animator on youtube made better use use Noodle Ghidorah than the actual movie did.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Probably the best monster from the Anime Trilogy. Not exactly a high bar to clear, but it's something. I do appreciate how he is at least spiritually accurate; a malevolent alien being who destroys entire civilizations. I honestly don't even hate the whole heads emerging from black holes thing; it is eerie in a good way, and makes this Ghidorah all the more interesting, if nothing else. He still suffers Anime Trilogy syndrome, IE, barely doing anything and not really having much of an effect on the overarching story, but he is at least interesting on paper, and was the best idea the trilogy had.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would've it helped if this version of Ghidorah transformed into a more traditional-looking Ghidorah?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:47 pm Would've it helped if this version of Ghidorah transformed into a more traditional-looking Ghidorah?
Think it would've helped if we got more than heads, and if the fight between it and Godzilla was well...a fight.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I think with the limitation of the design itself you can do much more with the three noodle next design rather than just bite, what the hell happened did the creators reign of the imagination and she’s right in the most boring and dull fight they can never do in a Godzilla film heck not just in the Godzilla films but in the tire Kaiju genre.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Love this version of Ghidorah. The summoning ritual is one of the most chilling and ominous scenes in a Godzilla movie, and everything about this Ghidorah in general just radiates fear, malice, and threat that I adore and had been severely lacking in any Ghidorah up until this point (with MV Ghidorah matching it in those departments, thank god)
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Sun May 15, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Idea was great, design and execution leaves a lot to be desired.