Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: New Kaiju Movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I would not at all be disappointed if this is an original kaiju film but after reading his idea for a Godzilla movie I kinda hope it is one. Unlike any future MonsterVerse entries I have no idea what to expect to come from Japan.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

So our new director considers Godzilla inseparable from the Showa period, does he? Interest level: +100%
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

imposterzilla wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:54 am I totally can guess. So keep us posted.

Sooooo....

I looked through my entire catalog of manga in my possession. Strangely, none really feature the time period specified, unless I'm missing something. Most take place in samurai times, during/between other Godzilla films (that sequel to Godzilla vs. Gigan for example), or just in contemporary/alternate realities.

The closest one, is Gojira 1952, which is just Gojira (as in it follows the film) but through a different lens, that being a Japanese reporter (who may be the one that dies in the radio tower in the film). There's some prequels, including one where a samurai fights Godzilla (whacky) and one involving the Xilliens invading during the samurai age. Unless I'm specifically missing something, there's no exact date or time (1944-1949) unless I'm missing something. So far, no dice, but still this was a nice reminder I need to get back into uploading and translating some of the older manga, especially since between that time my reading ability has improved.

Anyways, I suspect that yeah, the Godzilla the Ride was merely a test run of what a Yamazaki Godzilla film might look like. Even if they wind up using a different design, I'd honestly be really pumped for something in that style. Likewise, the Always Sunny scene, until it becomes a farce with a DBZ reference, is actually one of the most dramatic build ups to a Godzilla reveal, and done in an excellent fashion.

If I might add, the casting listed a bunch of people to play former military members, presumably meaning ex-Japanese military imperial naval officers. I don't think it'll be allied forces against Godzilla/whatever monster, but who knows. Likewise, even if it is the former case, I wouldn't form an opinion or assume anything yet, because Toho presumably realizes why making a film that somehow glorifies the imperial army, would be a really stupid choice right now given Godzilla's global popularity.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I wonder I'd this will go into 1954 and maybe retale certain parts of Gojira.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:59 am
imposterzilla wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:54 am I totally can guess. So keep us posted.

Sooooo....

I looked through my entire catalog of manga in my possession. Strangely, none really feature the time period specified, unless I'm missing something. Most take place in samurai times, during/between other Godzilla films (that sequel to Godzilla vs. Gigan for example), or just in contemporary/alternate realities.

The closest one, is Gojira 1952, which is just Gojira (as in it follows the film) but through a different lens, that being a Japanese reporter (who may be the one that dies in the radio tower in the film). There's some prequels, including one where a samurai fights Godzilla (whacky) and one involving the Xilliens invading during the samurai age. Unless I'm specifically missing something, there's no exact date or time (1944-1949) unless I'm missing something. So far, no dice, but still this was a nice reminder I need to get back into uploading and translating some of the older manga, especially since between that time my reading ability has improved.

Anyways, I suspect that yeah, the Godzilla the Ride was merely a test run of what a Yamazaki Godzilla film might look like. Even if they wind up using a different design, I'd honestly be really pumped for something in that style. Likewise, the Always Sunny scene, until it becomes a farce with a DBZ reference, is actually one of the most dramatic build ups to a Godzilla reveal, and done in an excellent fashion.

If I might add, the casting listed a bunch of people to play former military members, presumably meaning ex-Japanese military imperial naval officers. I don't think it'll be allied forces against Godzilla/whatever monster, but who knows. Likewise, even if it is the former case, I wouldn't form an opinion or assume anything yet, because Toho presumably realizes why making a film that somehow glorifies the imperial army, would be a really stupid choice right now given Godzilla's global popularity.
Godzilla vs Gigan sequel? Yeah. If they try painting the Imperial forces in a positive light it would backfire tremendously.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Can´t wait to find the first pictures taken from the setting
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Makes me wonder though if the alleged sea creature is Godzilla or a prelude to.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

imposterzilla wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:15 am Makes me wonder though if the alleged sea creature is Godzilla or a prelude to.
Let's just hope we don't get the Godzilla equivalent to Prometheus.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Hmm...well I like mystery and such, but a full retcon no.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Gailah 1966 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:32 am Can´t wait to find the first pictures taken from the set.
Even if they are not very meaningful. I remember the first pics from the set of Shin Godzilla. -_-
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Unless they are publicly released images, do not post any photos here publicly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:27 pm Unless they are publicly released images, do not post any photos here publicly.
Of course only publicly released images. Otherwise Sanda will hunt me down X_X

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

I striped the internet again today but found no news. I also searched in japanese language. Can´t wait to find out more about this project because a new live action movie by Toho is really overdue now.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If this does turn out into a Godzilla film, how would you feel if ended up spawning a series of films jumping across each decade across the Showa era?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:44 pm If this does turn out into a Godzilla film, how would you feel if ended up spawning a series of films jumping across each decade across the Showa era?
Seems random and stupid.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:48 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:44 pm If this does turn out into a Godzilla film, how would you feel if ended up spawning a series of films jumping across each decade across the Showa era?
Seems random and stupid.
Would you prefer a single decade?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:48 pm
Seems random and stupid.
Why is that concept random or stupid? I think that could be really cool if done well. A similar idea worked out for Half Century War.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:17 pm Why is that concept random or stupid? I think that could be really cool if done well. A similar idea worked out for Half Century War.
Because it's gimmicky and this isn't a comic series. Assuming this is a Godzilla film, I hope they had a good reason/inspiration to start in this timeframe.

When you start working from a gimmicky perspective, ideas are pigeonholed into a setting that they might not otherwise be. In other words, unless you have a reason to justify it, don't forcibly make a Godzilla film set in the 70's just because it would be fun for a small portion of the fans. Part of the reason why Shin Godzilla was popular in Japan was that it was incredibly contemporary, and din't require you to be nostalgic for Godzilla/Japan in another time frame to be enjoyed.

On top of that, if they make a Godzilla film in the style of another time frame, it'll inevitably be compared to the other films set in that time frame. While maybe it could be good, it's setting up disappointment.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm not saying (and I don't think Legend was, either) to try and make movies in the style of the Showa era. That actually would be very gimmicky and likely to fail. I'm just talking about having a long-term storyline or anthology with a movie taking place in each decade. Movies set in the past aren't exactly uncommon or unpopular. Obviously there would have to be a good story to justify it; I'm not advocating that anyone make a project like this just to do it.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.