How would you feel about Godzilla getting cured of radiation?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

How would you feel about Godzilla getting cured of radiation?

Post by darthzilla99 »

I was thinking of how we have plots about Godzilla being affected by the Atomic bomb, but we never really had a plot be about Godzilla getting the atomic bomb effects reversed.

My basic idea is that the story starts off typical Godzilla is awakened by Atomic tests and seeks revenge against Mankind's arrogance. The story could have a scientist who lost family to radiation and seeks out a way to cure radiation. Maybe have a character arc where said character wants to kill Godzilla but then as he or she studies Godzilla realizes Godzilla is just as much of a victim as his family was. Eventually the climax is mankind reconciles with Godzilla, Godzilla is cured, and the movie ends with mankind abolishing nuclear power and weapons while having a cautionary message.

I know my outline is not good but hey it's something new. It also fits Honda's tragic monster ideas and philosophy on nuclear weapons while also fitting Tsuburayas cautious but optimistic nature of Ultraseven.

Anyways, what is everyone's thoughts?
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: How would you feel about Godzilla getting cured of radiation?

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Never really gave it much thought and it's certainly a thought provoking idea but in the end I think it takes away from what Godzilla is and there's a part of me that believes that Godzilla likes being empowered as a means to the end sorta thing.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:50 am Never really gave it much thought and it's certainly a thought provoking idea but in the end I think it takes away from what Godzilla is and there's a part of me that believes that Godzilla likes being empowered as a means to the end sorta thing.

Well, the story wouldn't be permanent. I figured it would be like Shin Godzilla or the climax of an ongoing anime or movie series were Godzilla being cured is the ending. I wouldn't be interested in say after Godzilla is cured he has 'natural powers' and goes on to fight other monsters or more stories of him fighting mankind for continuing to use nuclear power.

Once he's 'cured', the story ends and nothing else after this hypothetical continuity. Toho moves on with other stories with Godzilla. Those are my thoughts anyway.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

This is a pretty unique idea! I think with the right writers and director, this could be a thought-provoking masterpiece.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Well this would be an interestingly original concept that might be worth some expanded universe content, but as for something to see in film, at least a Japanese film, I just think undermines the hardcore anti nuclear overtones that literally are a part of the character's creation. Although having an anti nuclear stance and having Godzilla cured of radiation doesn't have to be mutually exclusive but it would certainly be hard to pull off. It would have to be a very dark and serious film that definitely showcases Godzilla's condition in a bad light. I don't see something like that coming from Japan or being a good film if so, but I've been wrong before and a Japanese director could very well do something like this in the future. Time will tell!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

That kind of goes against what Godzilla stands for. Just like how we can’t change the past. We can’t remove nuclear weapons and disasters from Japan’s history.
For Emperor and Empire!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Voyager wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:58 pm That kind of goes against what Godzilla stands for. Just like how we can’t change the past. We can’t remove nuclear weapons and disasters from Japan’s history.
It's not about changing the past. It's about redemption (not the same thing as forgetting about the past) and not repeating the same mistakes. You hammer in the fact that nuclear weapons should never be used again while also keeping it as part of history in the narrative.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Voyager wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:58 pm That kind of goes against what Godzilla stands for. Just like how we can’t change the past. We can’t remove nuclear weapons and disasters from Japan’s history.
Maybe a film where they *try* to cure him but in the end fail? That would at least be thematically sound.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:35 pm
Maybe a film where they *try* to cure him but in the end fail? That would at least be thematically sound.
Maybe at the end they find out that they physically can’t cure Godzilla, just like how you can never fully heal the past.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Or maybe it backfires, they accidently trigger a reaction in Godzilla that makes him go into meltdown.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I will be okay with a variant of this idea. I Imagine that at the start of the film, Godzilla will look all fucked up and disfigured like in Shin, while he slowly heals throughout the film until he looks normal.