How will you feel about a Godzilla Vs Rodan film?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: How will you feel about a Godzilla Vs Rodan film?

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:56 pm Nah, I got an idea.

We make Rodan basically the spawn of Satan, and we make him so evil and powerful it forces Godzilla and humanity to team up, then at the end, after Rodan is destroyed, the military turns on Godzilla. Godzilla destroys them and the film ends by zooming out on a sea of fire with Godzilla at the centre, with it fading to black as Goji’s theme plays.

A return to the status quo, after an amazing journey.
I would prefer for Rodan to live in the end, so that he can show up in films that follow. Maybe Godzilla and Rodan gain mutual respect for one another in the end and part ways.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:16 am

We make Rodan basically the spawn of Satan, and we make him so evil and powerful it forces Godzilla and humanity to team up, then at the end, after Rodan is destroyed, the military turns on Godzilla. Godzilla destroys them and the film ends by zooming out on a sea of fire with Godzilla at the centre, with it fading to black as Goji’s theme plays.

I would prefer for Rodan to live in the end, so that he can show up in films that follow. Maybe Godzilla and Rodan gain mutual respect for one another in the end and part ways.
He only really needs to live in the end to show up in the films that follow if the films that follow share the same continuity. There's no reason to assume that'd be the case. The film after that could be in a separate continuity and have a different Rodan entirely.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:03 am

He only really needs to live in the end to show up in the films that follow if the films that follow share the same continuity. There's no reason to assume that'd be the case. The film after that could be in a separate continuity and have a different Rodan entirely.
Not long ago, I have explicitly stated that I desire to see Toho do a ongoing continuity in the future that last an extended period of time. It is a notion that till this day I stand by. I am not saying they should never reboot again, just don't reboot literally every goddamn time with every new Godzilla-related production. Look, I know Toho is really adamant about taking Godzilla in new directions, but what's wrong with settling for just one at a time?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluemind
Young Farmer

Post by bluemind »

I don't see a reason for it. Rodan is pretty much exclusively a Godzilla kaiju and they have fought eachother before, several times. A movie that pits them against eachother would just be kinda redundant.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:14 pm I imagine that Godzilla will be the main antagonist of this movie, while Rodan will be the lesser of two evils.
I would rather it be the exact opposite.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I would be on board since these two are my most favorite Toho monsters.
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:14 pm I imagine that Godzilla will be the main antagonist of this movie, while Rodan will be the lesser of two evils.
Yes, I want that. I also want Rodan to be the winner.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

bluemind wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:24 am I don't see a reason for it. Rodan is pretty much exclusively a Godzilla kaiju and they have fought eachother before, several times. A movie that pits them against eachother would just be kinda redundant.
It would be way less redundant than pitting Godzilla against let’s say Mothra or Ghidorah.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:44 amIt would be way less redundant than pitting Godzilla against let’s say Mothra or Ghidorah.
Right? Godzilla's fought Rodan what, twice? Whereas he's fought Mothra at least five times and Ghidorah eight or nine times.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:55 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:44 amIt would be way less redundant than pitting Godzilla against let’s say Mothra or Ghidorah.
Right? Godzilla's fought Rodan what, twice? Whereas he's fought Mothra at least five times and Ghidorah eight or nine times.
He's fought Rodan 4 times by my count: GtTHM, GvsMGII, GFW, and KotM19.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

eabaker wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:57 am He's fought Rodan 4 times by my count: GtTHM, GvsMGII, GFW, and KotM19.
Are we counting Rodan roaring and then backing down 2-seconds later as a fight? :P

AAAAAnyway, i like the idea! I feel like Rodan in general needs a film really centered on him, even if he's sharing spotlight with Godzilla. KOTM and Singular Point didn't really do him justice IMO.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I forgot about GFW (wonder why, heh), and I don't remember him fighting Rodan in KOTM for some reason.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:02 am I forgot about GFW (wonder why, heh), and I don't remember him fighting Rodan in KOTM for some reason.
That's cuz he didn't, lol.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

bluemind wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:24 am I don't see a reason for it. Rodan is pretty much exclusively a Godzilla kaiju and they have fought eachother before, several times. A movie that pits them against eachother would just be kinda redundant.
I agree but for somewhat different reasons, specifically not because Godzilla and Rodan have fought before, but because I'd primarily like to see new monster opponents.

However, a "Godzilla vs. Rodan" from circa 1963 would have been incredible. That was my most-wanted Godzilla film as a kid.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Since most of you desire to see Rodan amped up to 11, here are my suggestions as to what attributes he could have : 1. When he flaps his wings to produce hurricane winds, he also emits nuclear energy from his body to go along with said winds. 2. When he flaps his wings hard enough, his whole body emits a nuclear shockwave not unlike Heisei Godzilla. 3. Also akin to Heisei Godzilla, give his talons a nuclear conductive ability as a defense mechanism. 4. Last but not least, give him his Heisei-era uranium breath back.

Basically, I envision Rodan to be the same tier as later Heisei Godzilla. By that I don't necessarily mean over-bulky, immobile and beam-spamming in case you're worried. I hope these ideas of mine will do for now.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:59 am

Not long ago, I have explicitly stated that I desire to see Toho do a ongoing continuity in the future that last an extended period of time. It is a notion that till this day I stand by. I am not saying they should never reboot again, just don't reboot literally every goddamn time with every new Godzilla-related production. Look, I know Toho is really adamant about taking Godzilla in new directions, but what's wrong with settling for just one at a time?
Hey I'm not arguing with you (even if I prefer the reboot route for now instead of yet another ongoing continuity in modern film-making), you do you. Just that it needing to be a continuity thing wasn't part of the initial suggestive set up and isn't necessary for the basic premise or the possibility of Rodan showing up in other films. We've all got out own preferences.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:28 pm

Hey I'm not arguing with you (even if I prefer the reboot route for now instead of yet another ongoing continuity in modern film-making), you do you. Just that it needing to be a continuity thing wasn't part of the initial suggestive set up and isn't necessary for the basic premise or the possibility of Rodan showing up in other films. We've all got out own preferences.
The number of times this franchise has undergone constant reboots nowadays outnumbers the actual times there has been longstanding continuities. The reboot route is more deserving of the "yet another" marker if you ask me.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I would much rather see Godzilla powered down than Rodan powered up.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:14 pm Since most of you desire to see Rodan amped up to 11, here are my suggestions as to what attributes he could have : 1. When he flaps his wings to produce hurricane winds, he also emits nuclear energy from his body to go along with said winds. 2. When he flaps his wings hard enough, his whole body emits a nuclear shockwave not unlike Heisei Godzilla. 3. Also akin to Heisei Godzilla, give his talons a nuclear conductive ability as a defense mechanism. 4. Last but not least, give him his Heisei-era uranium breath back.

Basically, I envision Rodan to be the same tier as later Heisei Godzilla. By that I don't necessarily mean over-bulky, immobile and beam-spamming in case you're worried. I hope these ideas of mine will do for now.
Here's my thought - if you go fast enough you can cause enough friction to heat up the air - I remember also from the first Fantastic Four movie that if you get hot enough you can basically burn the whole atmosphere (no clue how true that is). Heck, I think that was part of what made the meteor that killed the dinosaurs so deadly initially (before the ice age it caused finished them off). So science-y gook if you ramp up Rodan's speed he could destroy cities in flames with a flyover, and the movie could focus on slowing him down/stopping him before he sets the whole sky on fire killing everyone. He'd be a truly global world ending threat. And it'd make for some cool aerial and destruction scenes we've not seen before. Again, not 100% on the science there, but it's good enough for a sci-fi destruction film.

Added in 13 minutes 21 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:33 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:28 pm

The number of times this franchise has undergone constant reboots nowadays outnumbers the actual times there has been longstanding continuities. The reboot route is more deserving of the "yet another" marker if you ask me.
The number of times it's undergone reboots? Sure. The amount of time? No. The Showa and Heisei era combined was what, well over 20 years? The Millennium era was 5 years. We had 5 years of constant reboots almost 20 years ago. Currently we've got one Hollywood continuity that's doing the longstanding continuity thing, and 1 reboot fiilm from Japan (no one should be counting the animes). Neither is exactly more deserving, it's just a matter of personal taste and preference. Those who prefer long standing continuities have Showa (the bulk of the films still to date), Heisei, Legendary's MonsterVerse (and if we were to count the anime, Singular Point might count depending how many future seasons it gets, seems like there's at least one more) while those who prefer the reboots only have Millennium and Shin. If Legendary has the longstanding continuity angle going forward, and if Toho's output is going to be (presumably) very infrequent because they can only release between lulls in Legendary's release windows, Toho not building up a continuity in live action just makes more sense right now. Is it ideal? Depends who you ask - again, we all have our own preferences. But is it unfair or more or less deserving? I don't think so. But again, to each their own, we all have our different wants and desires.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:51 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:14 pm Since most of you desire to see Rodan amped up to 11, here are my suggestions as to what attributes he could have : 1. When he flaps his wings to produce hurricane winds, he also emits nuclear energy from his body to go along with said winds. 2. When he flaps his wings hard enough, his whole body emits a nuclear shockwave not unlike Heisei Godzilla. 3. Also akin to Heisei Godzilla, give his talons a nuclear conductive ability as a defense mechanism. 4. Last but not least, give him his Heisei-era uranium breath back.

Here's my thought - if you go fast enough you can cause enough friction to heat up the air - I remember also from the first Fantastic Four movie that if you get hot enough you can basically burn the whole atmosphere (no clue how true that is). Heck, I think that was part of what made the meteor that killed the dinosaurs so deadly initially (before the ice age it caused finished them off). So science-y gook if you ramp up Rodan's speed he could destroy cities in flames with a flyover, and the movie could focus on slowing him down/stopping him before he sets the whole sky on fire killing everyone. He'd be a truly global world ending threat. And it'd make for some cool aerial and destruction scenes we've not seen before. Again, not 100% on the science there, but it's good enough for a sci-fi destruction film.
I think we're now good for amping Rodan up. He should be more than capable of standing toe-toe with Godzilla and I appreciate your suggestion.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:28 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:51 pm

I think we're now good for amping Rodan up. He should be more than capable of standing toe-toe with Godzilla and I appreciate your suggestion.
Powers ultimately are overrated - they make for great scenes of rampage, city destruction, and kaiju vs kaiju violence - but it doesn't make for good movies. We'd need a good hook for the conflict, a decent script, and a good monster design. I'm curious what a modern Toho Rodan in live action would look like. Has to be different from MV's, more familiar than Singular Point's, and less generic than the recent ride's design (to be fair he just cameoed in that to get swatted down, so he didn't need as much effort to his design as their versions of Godzilla and Ghidorah).