Will Toho ever make another DAM-type film?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Re: Will Toho ever make another DAM-type film?

Post by Lesko »

Well, seeing as how Toho already mentioned the premise of "World of Godzilla" I think it is inevitable at this point. If they are creating a shared universe it would be mind bogglingly stupid to not due this, preferable as some sort of grand finale. It would truly be marvelous to see something like that by today's standards. There are multiple ways to handle something like this and I wouldn't say there is a "right" way to do it.

Of course there are a ton of combinations of monsters and locations but if I were in Toho I would do stuff that hasn't been done before or hasn't been done much before. Have some more obscure kaiju show up or kaiju that only showed up once or twice in the whole franchise. I would shoot for a location that hasn't been done before or barely shown in Toho before. The possibilities are truly endless. Maybe a fight in a dessert or snowy mountain range? Not sure how Toho would do it but I hope something like that.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Lesko wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:24 pm If they are creating a shared universe
That's, uuuh.. not what the World of Godzilla is. It's just meant to expand the brand with new material, i'm pretty sure the shared universe thing was a mistranslation.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Lesko wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:24 pm Well, seeing as how Toho already mentioned the premise of "World of Godzilla" I think it is inevitable at this point. If they are creating a shared universe it would be mind bogglingly stupid to not due this, preferable as some sort of grand finale. It would truly be marvelous to see something like that by today's standards. There are multiple ways to handle something like this and I wouldn't say there is a "right" way to do it.

Of course there are a ton of combinations of monsters and locations but if I were in Toho I would do stuff that hasn't been done before or hasn't been done much before. Have some more obscure kaiju show up or kaiju that only showed up once or twice in the whole franchise. I would shoot for a location that hasn't been done before or barely shown in Toho before. The possibilities are truly endless. Maybe a fight in a dessert or snowy mountain range? Not sure how Toho would do it but I hope something like that.
The World of Godzilla is not a shared universe, it's a marketing push. The shared universe thing was part mistranslation, part mild speculation on the future, and mostly part runaway rumor.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:13 pm
Lesko wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:24 pm Well, seeing as how Toho already mentioned the premise of "World of Godzilla" I think it is inevitable at this point. If they are creating a shared universe it would be mind bogglingly stupid to not due this, preferable as some sort of grand finale. It would truly be marvelous to see something like that by today's standards. There are multiple ways to handle something like this and I wouldn't say there is a "right" way to do it.

The World of Godzilla is not a shared universe, it's a marketing push. The shared universe thing was part mistranslation, part mild speculation on the future, and mostly part runaway rumor.
We deserve another shared universe that lasts an extended amount of time. By that, I mean one from Toho themselves. When it’s done, they can go back to their usual shtick of constantly rebooting.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:53 pm

We deserve another shared universe that lasts an extended amount of time. By that, I mean one from Toho themselves. When it’s done, they can go back to their usual shtick of constantly rebooting.
I didn't say they shouldn't or wouldn't do a shared universe, just that World of Godzilla isn't one but a marketing push.
As for what we "deserve" as fans? I honestly don't care. Shared universe, reboot, whatever, just give me more new Toho live action Goji and I'm happy. I feel like the whole world's gone a little overboard with the important of shared universes the past decade, rushing to it without putting good thought into it and having it go...wrong (early DCEU, the Dark Universe, the current/recent MV imo). I'm not against it in any way, I just no longer hold any good will or confidence in the concept in and of itself, it's become a non-factor to me. I just want good movies, individual releases or shared universe doesn't matter.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:07 pm

I didn't say they shouldn't or wouldn't do a shared universe, just that World of Godzilla isn't one but a marketing push.
As for what we "deserve" as fans? I honestly don't care. Shared universe, reboot, whatever, just give me more new Toho live action Goji and I'm happy. I feel like the whole world's gone a little overboard with the important of shared universes the past decade, rushing to it without putting good thought into it and having it go...wrong (early DCEU, the Dark Universe, the current/recent MV imo). I'm not against it in any way, I just no longer hold any good will or confidence in the concept in and of itself, it's become a non-factor to me. I just want good movies, individual releases or shared universe doesn't matter.
The shared universe was one part of the marketing push they would like to do from what I heard.

World of Godzilla is everything a shared universe is one part they woukd like to see come from it. Both answers are correct.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:53 pm

The shared universe was one part of the marketing push they would like to do from what I heard.

World of Godzilla is everything a shared universe is one part they woukd like to see come from it. Both answers are correct.
That they would like to see and speculated on, not confirmed. It's not official so it's not correct. There's a sticky of it top of this forum.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:46 am

That they would like to see and speculated on, not confirmed. It's not official so it's not correct. There's a sticky of it top of this forum.
I said in the very post you quote the shared universe is something they would like to do as one part of the World of Godzilla marketing push.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:19 am

I said in the very post you quote the shared universe is something they would like to do as one part of the World of Godzilla marketing push.
Yes, it's something that the said the discussed in one interview, but what I'm saying is that's not what World of Godzilla is.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:05 am

Yes, it's something that the said the discussed in one interview, but what I'm saying is that's not what World of Godzilla is.
I know that. During the interview where they mentiom World of Godzilla is a goal to make Godzilla bigger worldwide the guy being interview mentioned he would want to see a shared universe.

It is not wrong to say that a potential shared universe is one part of World of Godzilla because that's what Toho wpuld like. Technically SP, The MV ect are all part of World of Godzilla as it all increases Godzilla's global brand.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Well if there is no known shared universe I don't think we're gonna get a DAM film any time soon. Not to say that could chance and I hope it does but it definitely looks like the Monsterverse if anything is going to have that type of film. Whether Toho does it or Legendary I think it is inevitable. I guess who does it is when it happens rather than if.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:00 pm

I know that. During the interview where they mentiom World of Godzilla is a goal to make Godzilla bigger worldwide the guy being interview mentioned he would want to see a shared universe.

It is not wrong to say that a potential shared universe is one part of World of Godzilla because that's what Toho wpuld like. Technically SP, The MV ect are all part of World of Godzilla as it all increases Godzilla's global brand.
I think it is wrong to say that - we don't know that it's planned, we don't know what it'd be called if it does happen, we don't know when it could possibly be. At best a shared universe if it happens would maybe be a part of the World of Godzilla marketing push, that doesn't mean it is the World of Godzilla push or that it'd share that name.

Added in 43 seconds:
Basically it just feels like spreading misinformation based on a misunderstood/mistranslated interview.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:42 pm

I think it is wrong to say that - we don't know that it's planned, we don't know what it'd be called if it does happen, we don't know when it could possibly be. At best a shared universe if it happens would maybe be a part of the World of Godzilla marketing push, that doesn't mean it is the World of Godzilla push or that it'd share that name.

Added in 43 seconds:
Basically it just feels like spreading misinformation based on a misunderstood/mistranslated interview.
Anything that happens in the foreesable future is part of the World Godzilla. Making him a bigger star worldwide would include a cinematic universe if it popped up, as I said before the MV and the Toho animes are just as much apart of World of Godzilla at this point right now as the mondo figures and the idw comics.

The only mistranslated part was World of Godzilla was an upcoming cinematic universe, Ota saying he would like to see a world where all these monsters share if it was made would be apart of the marketing push. Shin is as well.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:40 am
Vakanai wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:42 pm

Added in 43 seconds:
Anything that happens in the foreesable future is part of the World Godzilla. Making him a bigger star worldwide would include a cinematic universe if it popped up, as I said before the MV and the Toho animes are just as much apart of World of Godzilla at this point right now as the mondo figures and the idw comics.

The only mistranslated part was World of Godzilla was an upcoming cinematic universe, Ota saying he would like to see a world where all these monsters share if it was made would be apart of the marketing push. Shin is as well.
There's two big ifs there - "if it popped up" and "foreseeable future". They may want a shared universe, they may want it in the foreseeable future, but with how their deal with Legendary is and their Netflix animes and so on? If there's a shared universe within the next decade, yeah that's a World of Godzilla. But right now to the best of our knowledge there's no such thing here. If it happens? Maybe. But no reason right now for anyone to think that there's a cinematic universe as part of this push.