Favorite Reiwa Godzilla Design?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

Favorite Reiwa Godzilla Design?

Shin Godzilla
49%
Godzilla Earth
14%
Godzilla Ultima
37%

Total votes: 57

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Favorite Reiwa Godzilla Design?

Post by Voyager »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:28 pm I really, really don't get this "Earth is just Legendary" argument - the only similarity is the basic massive shape/general outline, the texture, coloring, facial design and more is so different that thinking they're the same just because of that shared hulking shape is too much of a stretch to me.
You’re right, he’s a mouldy version of legendary!
For Emperor and Empire!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Shin 1st. Earth second. Never really got a chance to soak in Ultima.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Voyager wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:42 am
Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:28 pm I really, really don't get this "Earth is just Legendary" argument - the only similarity is the basic massive shape/general outline, the texture, coloring, facial design and more is so different that thinking they're the same just because of that shared hulking shape is too much of a stretch to me.
He's not mouldy either, much less mouldy legendary...I still don't get this.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:02 pm
Right? It's like the silhouette could be the same but they're completely different animals. Just people not liking the trilogy and crapping on it's design.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:02 pm
It was a joke. I’m not actually of the belief they look similar. AniGoji is very unique in it’s details.
For Emperor and Empire!

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Not counting Monsterverse or Ride? Well, it’s hard to say. None of the modern Godzillas have really scratched my itch as of late, and suffer the same consistent issues I have with them…

But I’ll admit. I have been digging Ultima more as of late. I don’t know why, but the design looks and feels fierce, and the way the forms were applied were kind of intriguing. It’s basically a more stylized Shin, I feel. And I’m kind of into it.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Shhheeeiiinnnnnn
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:48 am Shhheeeiiinnnnnn
My man. 8-)
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I'm surprised how much love the Ultima design is getting considering how little screentime it got in the anime. Really felt like Goji was an afterthought in his own anime.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:57 pm I'm surprised how much love the Ultima design is getting considering how little screentime it got in the anime. Really felt like Goji was an afterthought in his own anime.
I think they said they wanted to keep Godzilla out of focus a bit to help develop the characters and give more time to explaining the Singular Point and having screen time for the other monsters. If SP season 2 ever materializes, he'll probably have more things to do.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:03 pm
Vakanai wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:57 pm I'm surprised how much love the Ultima design is getting considering how little screentime it got in the anime. Really felt like Goji was an afterthought in his own anime.
I think they said they wanted to keep Godzilla out of focus a bit to help develop the characters and give more time to explaining the Singular Point and having screen time for the other monsters. If SP season 2 ever materializes, he'll probably have more things to do.
Yeah, but while season 1 hinted at the direction a season 2 could take, actually getting a season 2 is far from a sure thing. It's not confirmed yet. So, for now - what's the appeal for folks of a design that would be easy to forget because it's shown so little in the show?

Added in 1 minute 21 seconds:
Or is the appeal just largely that it isn't Shin and Earth aka the designs from the more divisive recent entries?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I love Ultima’s design. It’s just…so badass. From the Oni mask inspiration for to face, to the samurai armor inspiration for the body, there’s so much thought put into the design and it all makes for something damn great.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:41 pm
I love Ultima’s design. It’s just…so badass. From the Oni mask inspiration for to face, to the samurai armor inspiration for the body, there’s so much thought put into the design and it all makes for something damn great.
Sure, if you're looking at the picture - but you barely see all that thought in the anime for more than 2 minutes, and usually not so clear.

HillyHulk
Yuki Special

Post by HillyHulk »

I feel Godzilla Earth was the coolest part of the anime film series, seeming like a near unstoppable god.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:50 pm
Sure, if you're looking at the picture - but you barely see all that thought in the anime for more than 2 minutes, and usually not so clear.
We’re judging the designs here, not the way they were portrayed/shown off.

If we go by that logic, then the Xenomorph design from Alien shouldn’t be as iconic and beloved as it is. I mean, it’s barely shown, and when it is, it’s very dark.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:20 pm
Vakanai wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:50 pm

We’re judging the designs here, not the way they were portrayed/shown off.

If we go by that logic, then the Xenomorph design from Alien shouldn’t be as iconic and beloved as it is. I mean, it’s barely shown, and when it is, it’s very dark.
Disagree - we saw much more of the Xenomorph in Alien than we did Ultima. Which isn't great considering Ultima was part of a series not a film so had much more time where he could've shown up.

Added in 37 seconds:
Also a lot of the Xenomorph love came from the sequel Aliens...

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

My favorite Reiwa Godzilla is actually Earth although I do realize this is asking strictly for design so in the I say Shin. It is the most unique and disturbing. In fact I am upset that Toho through roadblocks in some of Anno's creative ideas for this incarnation rather than let the idea of GA being turned off by them. Yes the movie wouldn't have made as much money but I think as people look back in the future they would see it stand out more and fit in line with the film's themes. Anyway I think Godzilla looks exactly what an irradiated mutant would look like. Damage, in pain, yet also menacing because of the rage of the creature. I only wish we could have seen further forms in film. Even if only in a deleted scene.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Shin by a mile. I wonder if Ultima will do better in the next Design Challenge.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ultima looks way better in the concept art. It just looks and feels more defined. Something is lost in its transition to CG.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

They’re all terrible in their own ways. Shin and Ultima are awfully proportioned messes that look worse than the SoG suit, and Earth is a lazy rehash of Legendary’s design.

Earth sucks the least though, so I’ll give it to him.
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.