Godzilla: SP's Technobabble - Yay or Nay

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Godzilla: SP's Technobabble - Yay or Nay

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I think this deserves its own thread. I've seen people both hate and love the technobabble and pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo the series flaunts non-stop. Personally, I don't mind it. Though, I'm already growing tired of SP fans defending the series from critique saying those that don't like it "don't understand it", which is pretty funny. The series is about as scientifically accurate as Futurama and The Giant Claw. And speaking of The Giant Claw, the constant science talk took me back to scenes of those characters trying to figure out what the bird was, how to defeat it and the constant use of anti-matter.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla: SP's Technobabble - Yay or Nay

Post by Jermobooka »

I think it’s alright. If this is the direction SP is going in they should definitely tone it all down for a potential second season.

Also, the “pseudoscience” isn’t actually pseudoscience. It may sound like it a helluva lot, but it’s not. Hell, I’m pretty sure the science in the series is a simplified version.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I’m completely fine with it. It avoids being boring like a lot of technobabble (looking at you, Polygon Trilogy), and supports what’s happening instead of just being tacked on.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

When most of the dialogue relating to the hows and whys are literally something akin to the theoretical quantum physical realm of our quantifiable existence, yet doesn't show these concepts actually used visually within the story, or even in relevance to Godzilla himself, it becomes something that's in over its head.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:24 pm I think it’s alright. If this is the direction SP is going in they should definitely tone it all down for a potential second season.

Also, the “pseudoscience” isn’t actually pseudoscience. It may sound like it a helluva lot, but it’s not. Hell, I’m pretty sure the science in the series is a simplified version.
It's as "simplified" as radiation = mutation and mutation = giant monsters. It may have a footing in actual theoretical physics, but I'm 100% sure NONE of those theories has anything to do with a giant, evolving monster that spews death rays and is flanked by flocks of flying reptiles, sea monsters, ogres and spider things.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

For the most part, yay

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Totally fine with it. A lot of people don’t seem to realize you could just not worry about the specifics and still understand exactly what’s going on. I think there’s only a few specific scenes of it that get excessive and take things away from the show, and other than that things are pretty clear.

I think SP has some more specific problems with editing and cutting away than the dialogue choices. Sometimes some of the expository scenes don’t mesh too well pacing wise and I think that’s moreso why people will be frustrated with it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Wow, this thread is totally not made to bait people into arguments and disputes over this hot topic issue! We totally need more discourse in this fandom! /s

I say yay because it doesn't detract much from the general enjoyment of the show unless you were an action junkie expecting SP to be Kaiju WWE. While I do believe Toho should do a more 'kaiju-focused' anime for said action junkies (affectionate), it's not like the babble makes SP any worse. SP was simply made to attract new fans to Godzilla and unlike the anime trilogy was actually good. I feel like in a hypothetical season 2, the babble would be toned down since we, the viewers, would understand the rules of the universe.

Ultimately I'm "yay" for this so far but there's a chance a season 2 makes it more mind boggling and less enjoying, but I'd like to believe this season was mostly to set the rules of this world up.

But at the same time I wanna see a more "action" anime be made for the series, maybe something like Godzilla Island where the kaiju are personified?
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

I'm fine with it. Sure, much of it goes over my head. But I like the way it increased my anxiety about the monsters* and the looming catastrophe. It's preferable when the science is explained with visual metaphors, like a Rubik's Cube shadow, a piece of origami, etc. More annoying when they use the extremely uncinematic glut of scrolling text messages.

In a way, I'm reminded of how John Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness used quantum physics concepts to add to the sense of mystery and dread.

*after BB explained our limited perception with the Rubik's Cube, I got scared when those sailboats were rocking back and forth... initially thinking it was invisible/imperceptible kaiju.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Moth wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:03 pm Wow, this thread is totally not made to bait people into arguments and disputes over this hot topic issue! We totally need more discourse in this fandom! /s
Or it was made to bait people into a debate and voice their opinion...? It is the internet, my man.

Quote of the Year:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Post edited by Admin: Let's NOT try and stir up the pot and kettle. If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, then please do not post.
Last edited by Giratina93 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

One thing I think regarding the “technobabble” is not to get worried about the specifics.

For example, during Li’s Introduction at the lecture, she explains Archetype and clear-type; the crystal things she used. We don’t know everything about it, but the gist is easily understandable: Archetype can generate infinite energy through refraction of light. The show gives a “valid” reason for how the monsters like Godzilla, are able to utilize seemingly unlimited energy, or generate effects. If you don’t understand the exact mechanics behind it, it’s fine.

Similarly, when BB discusses archetype with the Rubik’s cube, he’s showcasing that archetype can take on many forms that change rapidly due to how they are positioned.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Yay because I was able to follow the actual dialogue rather than the subtitles but I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't explain where the monsters came from.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:55 pm Yay because I was able to follow the actual dialogue rather than the subtitles but I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't explain where the monsters came from.
They mention that the monsters are organisms that have absorbed Archetype/Red Dust into their bodies and evolved/mutated. At least that's Rodan, Manda, Kumonga and Godzilla's origin. Salunga and Anguirus are unknowns.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Breakdown wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:04 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:55 pm Yay because I was able to follow the actual dialogue rather than the subtitles but I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't explain where the monsters came from.
They mention that the monsters are organisms that have absorbed Archetype/Red Dust into their bodies and evolved/mutated. At least that's Rodan, Manda, Kumonga and Godzilla's origin. Salunga and Anguirus are unknowns.
What I meant was what is their natural habitat.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I felt like they went overboard with it. I’m not against it, but some of it could be pushed aside for more character development.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:05 pm
Breakdown wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:04 pm
What I meant was what is their natural habitat.
I assume that is what season 2 will delve into. The monsters are coming from another plane of existence, assuming Kai isn't completely wrong.

Added in 38 seconds:
TyrantGojira wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:35 pm I felt like they went overboard with it. I’m not against it, but some of it could be pushed aside for more character development.
I think the series had enough character development, but I would agree. I don't think anyone would be upset by it if there was more monster action.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Technobabble on its own isn't a bad thing, but in a visual medium it needs to be delivered in an interesting way that isn't just exposition – or worse yet, literal walls of text, as seen in the numerous "text message conversations" throughout the show.

As they say: "Show, don't tell."

As it is in Singular Point, the technobabble mostly serves the purpose of padding to fill out each episode; and the way the information is delivered tends to be too rapid fire or vague for a viewer to grasp onto.
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:41 pm Technobabble on its own isn't a bad thing, but in a visual medium it needs to be delivered in an interesting way that isn't just exposition – or worse yet, literal walls of text, as seen in the numerous "text message conversations" throughout the show.

As they say: "Show, don't tell."

As it is in Singular Point, the technobabble mostly serves the purpose of padding to fill out each episode; and the way the information is delivered tends to be too rapid fire or vague for a viewer to grasp onto.
Show it don't tell it is the sort of thing that's been recycled to death by faux media commentators for centuries. Sure, show us the monsters attacking the city, absolutely. However, how on earth are we supposed to understand key plot points without directly being explained how the system works? I agree sometimes it's a bit too episode specific, but there's only a few actual specific points where it doesn't make much sense or feels too much.

A lot of it is much more simple than some people on here are making it out harder to be:

Ashihara finds Godzilla bones. Finds and discovers archetype and creates a super computer, Shiva. Shiva is a super calculator. Those calculations are capable of performing immense predictions and calculations and are able to "predict" the future. We could get technical about it, but the way the series explains these predictions in addition to math is through light refraction and also based on archetype.
Shiva can predict the future, and there's a moment where the calculations become unstable (the catastrophe). Synthesizing Archetype based on calculations isn't that hard to comprehend, a lot of actual theoretical materials are being based in real life. So there's your easy answer: Ashihara invented a machine that can predict the future and use mathematical calculations to make archetype.

Yes, what I've written is a lot, but it's ultimately not too difficult or impossible to understand. The issue is that the show bounces around between characters, and we're never actually given a very clear explanation of everything in one sitting. Ironically, the show doesn't tell and purely shows.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I don't have a problem with it. In the end, Godzilla S.P. is a science fiction story, and like most sci-fi stories, it has its own internal logic when explaining what's going on. I've never had a problem suspending belief when a show explains it's own science. Also, the writer himself stated the director wanted a sci-fi atmosphere for the series.

Another reason I'm going with "yay" is the shows writer, Toh EnJoe, has a background in physics and a PHD, and lot's of his other works are written using that background. For the small amount I've seen, his style is recognizable by the blend of disciplines and thick science-y explanations.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)