How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Reiwa Ghidorah: How do you want him?

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Use the ride design
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mabye they could add some purple on him and make his wings rain-bow coloured to acknowledge his original color scheme.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri May 21, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:35 pm Use the ride design
I think the new ride is a great design, but honestly I'd prefer something more like the last ride, Shin Godzilla vs NGE's Ghidorah. Anyone got a good picture of that? I've just seen the shaky smartphone vid someone uploaded on youtube, but it was quite good I thought.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:05 pm
I think the new ride is a great design, but honestly I'd prefer something more like the last ride, Shin Godzilla vs NGE's Ghidorah. Anyone got a good picture of that? I've just seen the shaky smartphone vid someone uploaded on youtube, but it was quite good I thought.
This was the best one i could find, but there's pretty high video footage on YouTube now.

Totally agree though, having Shin Ghidorah become an actual KG incarnation would be amazing. Like a done right Anime Trilogy Ghidorah with a design that doesn't look like shiny noodles with red googly eyes plastered all over.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sun May 23, 2021 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Gigantis wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:05 am
This was the best one i could find, but there's pretty high video footage on YouTube now.

Totally agree though, having Shin Ghidorah become an actual KG incarnation would be amazing. Like a done right Anime Trilogy Ghidorah with a design that doesn't look like shiny noodles with red googly eyes plastered all over.
I especially like how his eyes are just silver, with no pupil.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Universal Studios Japan Ghidorah flies circles around the dinky Godzilla the Ride version.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:05 am

Yep, that's still one great looking take on Ghidorah!

There's better footage of this one now? Thanks! Gonna have to do a youtube search later...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Heisei monsters in the Reiwa era

Post by LegendZilla »

Hi guys, LegendZilla here again. I know many of you find the Heisei series of the franchise underwhelming in many areas, particularly in how the Kaiju, for example, Biollante, SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah ect. were handled, even if they were interesting concepts. However, for those of you who believe such Kaiju deserve a second chance to show up again and be done justice with modern effects, how would you handle them? I have some ideas I would like to share.

For Biollante, I think I just might borrow elements from Shin Godzilla’s evolution, even though I’m not the biggest fan of that particular version of Godzilla (it’s an unpopular opinion I know, but don’t act like we don’t all have them). I honestly think that some of Anno’s creative decisions for Shin would be more fitted for Biollante than Godzilla himself, for example, mutating into a giant angelic humanoid final form as seen in unused concept art. For SpaceGodzilla, it’s simple give him a clear cut backstory that isn’t vague and maybe modify his design a little so that he’s not just a crystalline version of SuperGodzilla.

As for Destoroyah, I would maybe stray from giving his/her final form a humanoid, let alone vertebrate body-plan, and stick exclusively with arthropod-features. Maybe I would also take note from Legion from Gamera make it so that there is one sole alpha Destoroyah that mutates overtime upon competing with other juvenile Destoroyahs, before evolving into the matriarch (i.e Queen) and reproduces by laying eggs at an alarming rate in typical Arthropod fashion. I would not have him (or rather her in this case) be a crustacean version of Hedorah, that being a composite creature made of billions of tiny organisms each with a mind of their own like in 1995.

Anyways, that’s all I have for now. Do you have any ideas of your own? If so, share them with me. ;)

Voddak
Ronin

Re: Heisei monsters in the Reiwa era

Post by Voddak »

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a SpaceGodzilla incarnation who kind of takes after SP Godzilla's orgins, being a multidimensional super monster and all.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

I’d make Spacegodzilla a Twilight vampire Godzilla. Acidic blood, glittering, lightning-fast, vampiric and powerfully psychic.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Funnily enough, Biollante and Spacegodzilla are the two that come to mind the most.

Biollante was handled really well in the 1989 movie and I don't feel the design or origin needs much change. Biollante is one of the most expressly science-out-of-control giant monsters made and the near-horror elements could even be played up in a movie. I think there's a lot of depth to cover in a movie. As such, a solo Biollante movie would totally work and could be really effective.

Spacegodzilla's origins in Godzilla plus the power of "space" is kind of a lazy idea, but a lot of fun! Spacegodzilla could easily be something the Simians or another alien civilization use in order to take the one thing Earth has in its defense (Godzilla) and use it against the planet.

Orochi would be cool in a supernatural or mythology-centric film.

Battra is fine but not interesting enough that I care to re-explore the character any time soon. Ditto Dagahra and either of the RoM Ghidorahs. Destoroyah could be compelling but I am just not that interested at this point. Farther along in a specific series I may be more intrigued (MV could easily have set that up already for example), and even then I don't think much about the character needs changing, though the super-sized insect-like version could be an alternative to the final form.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Hurr Durr Destoroyah should return. No really.
For Emperor and Empire!

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Destoroyah could be interesting to explore in a way other than just "biggest threat ever". What if the best possible solution is to figure out how to pressure the swarm into evolving into a more docile form until they can hopefully find a better method to kill it? After all, you probably only got one chance to try and kill the swarm before they start realizing you are a threat.
It would be interesting to see Destoroyah kept on a monsterland style facility, drugged up and with implants meant to keep them from reproducing or splitting into smaller forms.
The "transporter philosophical dilemma" would also be interesting with Destoroyah if we ignore idea of a hive mind: then Destoroyah every time they combine and recombining arguably undergoes identity death. If you killed enough in aggregate form, or force them to shift between forms faster, it could mean less memories carry over. Imagine a Destoroyah instance that manages to become an ally of Godzilla or humanity, only to be mostly destroyed and the successor spawn that arises from the remains has most of the character development gone, being a clean slate.

Or playing up how evolution isn’t a march of progress aspect: separate colonies of Destoroyah evolving along different lines and even fighting in "gang wars" against eachother. In fact, there could be found a bunch of harmless Destoroyah microorganisms in Tokyo Bay and the question becomes: what makes them different from the ones turning into monsters?

For an even more far-out idea; I also had the idea when a kid of a terrifying future timeline where things on Earth have gotten so bad that humanity and the Destoroyah swarm have evolved a symbiotic relationship and are united against an alien threat consuming the world. While time-travel is often poorly done as, I feel visiting a possible awful future can be a great way to build up a coming threat in a story.

--
Spacegodzilla could also be WAY more interesting with a Gaira type relationship with Godzilla. Spacegodzilla doesn't really feel like a "terrifying eldritch god" or "just a puppet for space crystal organism". They are too petty for that. They feel like a teen in an adult body, convinced they are smarter and stronger than everyone else.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I don't want a "natural balance" destroyer for Ghidorah. Not like Galactus or Phoenix force. The Godzilla franchise is oddly one of hope and doing better, not wallowing in an unjust universe stacked against from the very beginning.
Ghidorah should imo have their origins never be addressed or implied that someone, somewhere, messed up horribly.

Designwise: I wouldn't be opposed of Ghidorah having a non-dragonlike form specialized for eating and producing their meteor cocoon. Could be interesting if its witnessed by someone if they enter INSIDE the meteor after it lands.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Dinoskell wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:00 pm I don't want a "natural balance" destroyer for Ghidorah. Not like Galactus or Phoenix force. The Godzilla franchise is oddly one of hope and doing better, not wallowing in an unjust universe stacked against from the very beginning.
Ghidorah should imo have their origins never be addressed or implied that someone, somewhere, messed up horribly.

Designwise: I wouldn't be opposed of Ghidorah having a non-dragonlike form specialized for eating and producing their meteor cocoon. Could be interesting if its witnessed by someone if they enter INSIDE the meteor after it lands.
I had an idea where the Gryphon from the unmade '94 Godzilla arrives on earth in the Meteor cocoon, hatches out, and begins energy draining kaiju, transitioning into Monster X before finally becoming Ghidorah. I decided I didn't like it but what you bring up would still be interesting.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

There is only one thing required for Reiwa King Ghidorah

Give him back his hair you cowards! lol

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

ROMG4 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:44 am There is only one thing required for Reiwa King Ghidorah

I remember hair was planned for Heisei Ghidorah, but it would have been harder to superimpose over cities for flying scenes. You'd have to track and edit ALL the little hairs. I think modern technology methods could work with that now.
But since the dorats had green hair...would the hair have been green?

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

ROMG4 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:44 am There is only one thing required for Reiwa King Ghidorah

I remember hair was planned for Heisei Ghidorah, but it would have been harder to superimpose over cities for flying scenes. You'd have to track and edit ALL the little hairs. I think modern technology methods could work with that now.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Dinoskell wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:38 pm

God, that would look so ugly. I hate even just the thought of it :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's an idea : Assuming they go back to his roots as a space-dwelling monster, why not give him no eyes? I mean, whereas Godzilla spends most of his time in the ocean, Ghidorah does the same flowing through the pitch-black void of space, so therefore he probably won't need them and instead rely on other senses.