World of Godzilla Misinformation.

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

World of Godzilla Misinformation.

Post by Giratina93 »

There seems to still be a lot of confusion and misinformation being spread about the World of Godzilla and what specifically it entitles. A lot of people think it is Toho attempting to create a Cinematic Universe like Marvel and the Monsterverse, when in reality it is not. This isn't helped by this misinformation being pedaled by wikis like Gojipedia. To quote our own LSD on this:

Hello, I feel that because of many people completely misunderstand that "World of Godzilla" is just a marketing term, used to describe Toho's desires to diversify and globalize Godzilla, that a lot of interesting components of the World of Godzilla are completely ignored by the general fandom. Since a few years ago,"World of Godzilla" has been really active; In addition to the new anime films, and upcoming collaborations Toho through other companies has been up to a lot.
So things like movies, comics, video games, just more globalized marketing and attention than a cinematic universe is what the World of Godzilla entails. Please remember to not spread misinformation and confuse other users as to what is planned. If you see such misinformation being spread, please report it to the mods and admins at once.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Re: World of Godzilla Misinformation.

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Hasn't this global marketing been given the name "Godzilla: Genesis"?
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'll try to break it down for everyone:
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:14 pm Hasn't this global marketing been given the name "Godzilla: Genesis"?
Godzilla Genesis was a specific meeting or group with Toho investors discussing the international strategy of making the films more easily accessible world wide. Source, Gomaru Island:
"We're very excited to revitalize the original series of 29 feature films, says Takaaki Nakazawa, head of global licensing for Toho during an interview at the company, Tokyo headquarters. "Audiences have always appreciated the franchise, and now we feel the time is right to launch our new exciting GODZILLA: GENESIS campaign."
Toho is excited to be able to offer all 29 films, either as a package or separately, to international broadcasters, cable stations and video platforms for the very first time.
Source:
https://www.facebook.com/GormaruIsland/ ... 9330419468

World of Godzilla
World of Godzilla was a term coined by Kenji Ota in an interview. He uses it offhandedly to describe a situation where Godzilla and his co-horts are more popular world wide. Mothra and other monsters are also not intrinsically recognized or tied to Godzilla.
"Shin Godzilla" was a huge hit, but instead of thinking of doing the obvious idea of making a "Shin · Godzilla 2", instead think about a world that can be used for a long time, I'd rather make a World of Godzilla
For example, in the year when Mothra was featured, commercialization centered around Mothra.
Commercialization is not limited to just figures, but also from daily necessities to apparel, games and so on. There are various things, so I would like to use Godzilla steadily.
https://www.facebook.com/GormaruIsland/ ... 2859218786

^^I suggest everyone read the whole post or themselves^^

But to summarize: Shin Godzilla 2 was discussed, they decided not to do that, and instead thought it would be better to expand Godzilla as a brand. They offer an example of that as a "world that can be used for a long time", which annoyingly other news sites (Bloody Disgusting) used speculation on Godzilla's future, as a confirmation of a cinematic universe, when that simply isn't the case. Most of the articles I've seen also don't mention that the vital point of commercialization, and the fact that they are just discussing the inherent desire on Toho's part to expand the brand world wide (hence World of Godzilla). Vitally, he uses Mothra as an example, to indicate that they don't want Godzilla to solely be the breadwinner, and that they want Godzilla's other comrades and foes (Mothra, Ghidorah etc...) to be more recognizable in order to be able to sell merchandise. I get that people are excited, but it's dishonest to post it as anything else.

It's true part of the article mentions a "shared universe", but it's limited to the extent of being aware of that type of strategy, and actually in the real interview has nothing to do with the World of Godzilla:
"The future of the series and its forwarding developments are very conscious of the method of "shared universe". Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. could all share a single world view much like a Marvel movie where Ironman and The Hulk can crossover with each other.
It is said that each movie can be a possible film production where any one of them could lead a film of their own as the titular character."

What's misleading though, is that in the interview, this is unrelated to "World of Godzilla". It's also completely speculative on Toho's part, and isn't confirmation of anything.

Since World of Godzilla is just a marketing term essentially, this list might not be fully correct, but here's many examples of "World of Godzilla" in action:
-New Partnerships with American and Foreign Toy Companies (Super 7)
-Expansion with Bandai (speculative, but notice all the new MMS we are getting)
-Way more commercial products and cross promotions (in Japan)
-Return to Comics (Re-partnering with IDW)
-New Youtube Content (Toho has recently made Godzilla trailers, and "Godzilla Tales" easily accessible to English speakers on their American Youtube Channel)
-Partnerships with Netflix and distribution there (Planet of the Monsters Trilogy and
-Theme Park Rides (Recent Godzilla vs. Ghidorah Ride)
-New Short form content, involving a variety of monsters for different ages: Godziban and Chibi Godzilla
-Many many more new physical releases of older films
-New releases of English Books

I also don't want to speak of, or speculate, but to me, offhandedly, "world of Godzilla", sounds like a cutesy and flashy Japanese-English expression for marketing and probably doesn't mean much more. Hope this makes sense!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Ah, thanks for explaining!
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:34 pm -Many many more new physical releases of older film's
This part is interesting…

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

Yes there is a lot of misinformation out there from people who dont understand or know the Godzilla franchise as a whole and i cant blame them.