How Might You Rewrite the AniGoji Trilogy

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: How Might You Rewrite the AniGoji Trilogy

Post by Pkmatrix »

Honestly, having FINALLY gotten around to finishing the trilogy (just watched The Planet Eater today), I think one of the bigger issues is that, frankly, there's not ACTUALLY enough material here to fill out three full movies (good God, a TV series version would've been a CHORE). What I'd do?

The events of Monster Apocalypse are Part 1, the events of Project: Mechagodzilla are Part 2, and I'd condense the events of the ACTUAL Anime Trilogy into one movie that would serve as Part 3 (which I'd title Planet of the Monsters, because that was an awesome title).

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I wouldn’t.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It's simple. Rebuild the whole goddamn trilogy from scratch and keep only the overall premise and tone. You can still have the same characters, but you'd have to rebuild their arcs from scratch. As for Godzilla’s origins, don’t make him a plant-based organism per say, but make it so that he was his usual vanilla-self at first, but over many millennia, maybe he transcended into some sort of ethereal (or at least semi-ethereal state) who absorbed and assimilated all organic matter in his vicinity.

Kinda like this :

https://www.gonagaiworld.com/godzilla-m ... ncept-art/
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Cut out city on the edge of battle entirely. It was quite literally filler. Nothing really happens that changes anything for the status quo between potm and planet eater.

Not sure what else I’d do specifically, but removing coteob is already a big improvement
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:12 am Cut out city on the edge of battle entirely. It was quite literally filler. Nothing really happens that changes anything for the status quo between potm and planet eater.

Not sure what else I’d do specifically, but removing coteob is already a big improvement
Except for the part where MechaGodzilla is shown as a literal parallel to Godzilla, the aliens are showcased as not necessarily good. and Haruo makes an incredibly difficult decision.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:12 am Cut out city on the edge of battle entirely. It was quite literally filler. Nothing really happens that changes anything for the status quo between potm and planet eater.

My feeling is exactly the opposite, I thought City on the Edge of Battle was ultimately the only worthwhile entry in the trilogy and the only one where anything actually happens. POTM and Planet Eater are both 66% each filler, and each could have been cut down to 30 minutes.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Not sure, but I would have other monsters like Baragon, Varan, etc.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

make it about the monster apocalypse rather than what happened after the fact