What Is Your Opinion On The Godzilla Ultima Design?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

What is your opinion on Godzilla Ultima’s design?

Great
31%
Good
48%
Bad
10%
Terrible
10%

Total votes: 77

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Re: What Is Your Opinion On The Godzilla Ultima Design?

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

I'll echo what most others say. It's a strong design, but the face doesn't do it for me. It's the closest we've gotten to a "normal" Godzilla since Final Wars (Or Sunset 2), so I like that. But the funky lower jaw and cataract eyes arent it for me
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I just don't see why I can't judge it by it's appearance. I may like his actions in the film and it may be cool as hell but I'm still going to find the design just doesn't look good and probably even hate it more if he is as bad ass because then Ima be pissed his design doesn't match his actions.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

goji89 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:48 pm I just don't see why I can't judge it by it's appearance. I may like his actions in the film and it may be cool as hell but I'm still going to find the design just doesn't look good and probably even hate it more if he is as bad ass because then Ima be pissed his design doesn't match his actions.
There's a bunch of Godzillas that look incredibly awkward or weird depending on the angle. Depending on what they are going for, and how the monster is portrayed is just as relevant. For example, if Godzilla Ultima was intended to be a Showa-era hero, I'd say the design sucks. However, there's something ever so "off" about the design, that makes me mildly uncomfortable. That maw is certainly more monstrous and off-putting than a lot of your standard dinosaur designs. It's similar to why I like the Shin design, and it's also important to see how it functions in film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Remember, a lot of us were complaining about Shin's split-jaw at first, and then the scene that has him split his jaw was one of the most epic Godzilla scenes in history. Does the snake with his jaw dislocated thing look ridiculous out of context? You better believe it does. But in context? If they back that up with a scene on par with Shin's laser breath? That's why I'm taking a wait and see approach. I've been wrong before, this time I'm giving Toho the benefit of the doubt. Let's see how this Godzilla actually uses that super wide/tall maw of his...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Y'all can wait to judge it that's fine, I don't like it's design and that's about it. If he does use his jaw or whatever in a cool manner then that particular scene will be viewed as great but won't change the fact *to me personally* his design sucks. Shin sucks for me it's still a dumb design but the breathe scene did look cool but what was the point of his jaw splitting open could have had the same effect if it didn't.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I like it enough, but the other SP designs I feel work better from what we've seen. It feels like it's trying to do what Shin did with the proportions but not quite sticking the landing this time. Shin executed it's weird proportions perfectly imo.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Really wish they had gone with the 2D art that they first showed off as far as the head design goes. Wish the bigger fangs felt more like fangs as far as placement and shape goes otherwise it's like a funky tooth mustache as far as it is on the current design.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I don’t like this design, at all. It just looks a bit edgy for my tastes.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think that the shape of his jaw ruins it for me.

Cossegoji2000
Ronin

Post by Cossegoji2000 »

Personally, I'm not a fan of how big his thighs are. But other than that, I do like this Godzilla design.

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

I love everything about it except the head. The head is...yuck.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I love it! It isn't perfect and the thighs are a tad too large but over all I like the very crocodile like head.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

Definitely not among my favorites. His eyes are too close together and his jaw doesn't look attached to his skull in some positions. I know this probably comes from Shin's design, but I feel like it worked better there than with this one. The thigh proportions are also a little strange but seeing as Shin was like that too I don't have that much of an issue with it.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

It's fine, but literally every other redesign in SP works much better.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I guess I may be the odd man out, but I freaking love this design. It is the perfect three-way blend of the ShinGoji, LegendaryGoji and the GyakushuGoji rolled into one and given a few unique characteristics of its own (blood red veins in the dorsal plates, the curved shape of the fangs, the snake-like jaw, the holes at the back of the throat, etc.). I'm a fan of all of it.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken, this is the first Godzilla to have fangs and bone-white dorsal plates since the Final Wars Godzilla.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

I have to say, after seeing this guy in action, he’s great. I had my doubts, but his movements and style just unnerve me unlike any other- even Shin.

Godzilla Ultima is an excellent, terrifying addition to the Godzilla Pantheon!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:07 am I have to say, after seeing this guy in action, he’s great. I had my doubts, but his movements and style just unnerve me unlike any other- even Shin.

Godzilla Ultima is an excellent, terrifying addition to the Godzilla Pantheon!
Won't say too much, but I concur with this. There seems to be a specific design reason behind the larger lower jaw. The entire thing seems like a more Battle-Ready Shin Godzilla which is fun.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'm patiently waiting for the series to drop on Netflix (gives me something to look forward to since GvK, plus gives you guys in the SPoiler Thread a break from my yakking :lol: ) but with everything I've seen so far, I really like Ultima.
I have to say that part of me wishes
Spoiler:
Godzilla Terrestris was Godzilla's final form though. It's fuckin awesome, but still so recognizable as Godzilla I didn't realize it was homage to Gorosaurus á la Titano/Aqulitis and Varan/Amphibia.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:03 pm There's a bunch of Godzillas that look incredibly awkward or weird depending on the angle.
KingGoji. I love the design as action figures, in art, etc but in the film he looks silly as hell from the front.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Thu May 27, 2021 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

A few posts up I said the design was just fine, but after
Spoiler:
the most recent episode, holy shit I want to see more. My favorite shot is the quick zoom scene where the tanks are shooting at him and you get the close-up of his face roaring at the tanks. The follow through motion with his eyes locked on the tanks is so GOOD. I can't wait to see more of him.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

It is a pretty freakin cool design. The latest episode of Singular Point certainly showcased it. It is the perfect example of how you go to innovate new Godzilla designs. It is instantly recognizable as Godzilla yet stands out totally from all of the others. I said it once and I'll say it again. This Godzilla is the most sinister looking Godzilla since GMK Godzilla. While I don't think this design will stick to much designs in the future I certainly hope it makes a reappearance somewhere.