What Is Your Opinion On The Godzilla Ultima Design?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

What is your opinion on Godzilla Ultima’s design?

Great
31%
Good
48%
Bad
10%
Terrible
10%

Total votes: 77

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

What Is Your Opinion On The Godzilla Ultima Design?

Post by Jermobooka »

A lot of the times i’m curious. And when i’m curious i usually make polls. This is that time again

I’ve seen some mixed opinions on Ultima on various platforms (leaning positive now, but just barely), and i want to see what the various users on TK think of it too

Personally, i love Ultima. It’s a cool, unique, crazy design that could never be pulled off with suitmation (which is what the designer was going for i’ve heard). Hell, i love all of the SP designs. Yes, even Rodan(s).
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Spuro
Keizer

Re: What Is Your Opinion On The Godzilla Ultima Design?

Post by Spuro »

I kind of hate it, lol. But is that really a surprise with me at this point? I seem to hate most things Singular Point.

It’s those gigantic thunder thighs, tiny and poorly anatomized arms, bizarre tusks, and how he looks like a fucked up muppet from the front. Outside of G98 it might be my least favorite Godzilla design ever.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Corzak The Mighty
EDF Instructor

Post by Corzak The Mighty »

What could have been a decent design is ruined by that abhorrent, trash can lid face.
MDK wrote:I wish my movies about dinosaurs brought back to life with mosquitos in amber for a theme park were realistic.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=29237 The Crimson Shadow redux sign-up and discussion thread
Clash of Gods (Shin Gojira vs Legendary Godzilla story, completed)

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

The concept art make it look good to me, but the cgi render make it look bad
Concept art
Cgi render

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

The original head sketch was wonderful, and the two fangs on the face fit very naturally. Here, though, I just want to yank them off, they seem so out of place. Overall, it looks alright. More curious to see how it looks in action, that'll probably be the deciding factor for me.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I love the size of the legs and tail, and it baffles me that most people seem to think that's the problem with the design. The broken arms look, the mouth thing, and the top half not being proportional to the bottom half are the actual problem areas. That said, it's still a damn good design. Not great, but good, and it can win me over once I see it in action just like Shin did.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

It's... palatable. I get the desire to make him more bottom-heavy; that's what Legendary did as well, and that does give it a touch of authenticity, but it also looks just a little bit absurd. I honestly don't mind whether he is plantigrade or anything like that; that difference never really mattered to me much. The only thing I explicitly dislike is the face; the huge mouth and fangs absolutely do not do it for me. I am not a huge fan of the tiny arms and tail either, but I think I can get used to them, if I see it enough times.

I will be brutally honest and say that I have very little interest in SP, but I have no real malice or love for Godzilla's design here. I can say I hate Rodan's design a lot more.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I like it but I really need to see it in action before I can make a more informed judgment. For example I was very put off by Shin based on the initial images but after seeing it in full action I completely fell in love with it. That said I am absolutely enjoying the series itself so far.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

He looks okay. Could've been really good if it weren't for his stupid jaw. Seriously, it looks like an entire hive of bees unleashed all their load on his chin.

I don't have much a problem with his proportions but I wish his legs were consistantly thicc instead of tapering off like a chicken.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The design looks scary and intimidating. At first I was apprehensive towards the underbite, but it's slowly grown on me and I have a feeling that it has a reason for it. Let's wait to see how it plays out in action though before making any judgments.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

I think I like it for the most part except for when it closes it's mouth. That smile is cursed and deserves to exist only on obscure hentai sites.

If I were in charge of making tweaks I would adhere a bit more to the original sketch we saw while also thinning the cheeks just a bit. Otherwise, it's fine.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I like the spines, tail, hands and the profile of the head when viewed from the side. I like how they brought back the classic gray color with white spines and I dig the red veins that run in them. However, beyond that... It's pretty blah. It's better than the anime trilogy design, for sure. But that's not much of an accomplishment. I still say this Godzilla is built like a chicken with its wide lower body, thin top and hunched over stance. The face looks horrible from the front like they had no idea how to actually render the monster in 3D for it.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

I don't particularly care for the CG model, but the concept art doesn't look awful. for me it'll depend on how he's portrayed in the show. if he's 3d animated I highly doubt I'll be a fan. I hate it when they blend 2d and 3d animation.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

I don't really like it based on first impressions, but I'll wait till I see it in action before I vote.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 am I kind of hate it, lol. But is that really a surprise with me at this point? I seem to hate most things Singular Point.

It’s those gigantic thunder thighs, tiny and poorly anatomized arms, bizarre tusks, and how he looks like a skreeonked up muppet from the front. Outside of G98 it might be my least favorite Godzilla design ever.
This is my exact feelings on the design and the SP kaiju.

I voted terrible.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That is such a horrendous CG model, this is why you never wanna translate 2D to 3D, bois
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 am I kind of hate it, lol. But is that really a surprise with me at this point? I seem to hate most things Singular Point.

It’s those gigantic thunder thighs, tiny and poorly anatomized arms, bizarre tusks, and how he looks like a fucked up muppet from the front. Outside of G98 it might be my least favorite Godzilla design ever.
Yeah, these are pretty much my thoughts. The whacky proportions really ruin it for me.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:54 pm The design looks scary and intimidating. At first I was apprehensive towards the underbite, but it's slowly grown on me and I have a feeling that it has a reason for it. Let's wait to see how it plays out in action though before making any judgments.
See, I don't have to see it in action to find it's design it's aesthetic ugly. Is it gonna win me over by his movements alone? Like I don't get this mindset that I have to see something in action to find that it's design sucks. The character may be great in the film and be bad ass but it still won't change how he looks. It looks ugly that's it.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:15 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:54 pm The design looks scary and intimidating. At first I was apprehensive towards the underbite, but it's slowly grown on me and I have a feeling that it has a reason for it. Let's wait to see how it plays out in action though before making any judgments.
See, I don't have to see it in action to find it's design it's aesthetic ugly. Is it gonna win me over by his movements alone? Like I don't get this mindset that I have to see something in action to find that it's design sucks. The character may be great in the film and be bad ass but it still won't change how he looks. It looks ugly that's it.
I agree. I think it will look ok with a closed mouth, but the jaw just isn't working for me. It looks ridiculous. Of course, there is a chance my mind will change upon seeing him in action, I don't think that is likely happen. Most of my favorite Godzilla designs have clicked with me upon mere seconds of viewing them, tbh.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The proportions mixed with the CG make him look like a 2001 PS1 Dark souls villain.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira