Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 6)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Btw, the article’s subtitle says basically that they wanted to give Godzilla a really monstrous and evil looking face. I know that originally some people were apprehensive, but I think they’ve succeeded!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I actually really liked the feeling of escalation in the last two episodes. It really does look like shit is really starting to hit the fan. Especially the huge flock of Rodan in New York. That last couple lines in episode 6 are especially interesting. As for Anguirus I'm pretty sure his (or her depending on the accuracy of the subtitles) ability to "see into the future" is going to become a very important plot point later on. Mei's theory seems to hint at it as well.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Perhaps an inescapable time loop is the answer or something even stranger.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Is this new too?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Honestly do not get the Ultima design complaints anymore. He’s looking incredibly badass

Hopefully people start recognizing how good everything about SP is when it comes to Netflix
;)
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

watched the fansubs for eps 5 and 6 (the fansub for 6 is a lot rougher, and I imagine that a better translation will be available when it normally would be). The JJ vs Anguirus fights are dope as hell. I imagine that next episode we'll start seeing some of those aquatilis vs. manda scenes as seen in the opening and some of the trailers. Also, with Rina Bahn (Baylor/Bela's kid, I think) and the colonel introduced, I think that rounds out all the main/supporting cast that was shown in promo material.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:40 am Btw, the article’s subtitle says basically that they wanted to give Godzilla a really monstrous and evil looking face. I know that originally some people were apprehensive, but I think they’ve succeeded!
The only thing that doesn't sell that to me in the new magazine cover is how both of his eyes were looking in tow different directions. Maybe they were going for the chameleon's sight to focus on two different things but I'd find to MUCH more frightening when a monster like that locks eyes with me.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I am LOVING SP so far! A very different take on all things Godzilla. Who would really associate time powers with Anguirus? It is so weird yet thrilling at the same time. The new take on Anguirus reminds me of that Snow Godzilla with the time manipulation. It is cool to see kaiju that we haven't seen in a while like Manda/JJ and not to mention flat out new kaiju also! The designs are beyond amazing and are original as well. Rodan almost looks like a new creature but still recognizable at the same time. As for what I have seen of the Godzilla design that just might be the best! Monstrous and intimidating. Like a more animalistic version of GMK Goji.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I think I understand the logic behind one of the theorized stages of Godzilla:
Spoiler:
Now if it is a Varan-inspired stage of Godzilla (if others theories are correct), The titano homage I can get, as Titanosaurus was basically meant to parallel Godzilla: marine prehistoric creature but this time under control of evil marine biologist instead of killed by a good one. But Varan I wondered why tie them together...well I started translating anatomy pictures of Varan.
And Varan is Filled with inflatable air sacs and pouches. Neck, limbs, torso, everywhere

And I think Godzilla's nuclear metabolism will be using waste products of helium and hydrogen to fly in this form, making it also a Godzooky homage.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The potential Varan form also has the tie in of being the beast-god of an ancient village.

Would be an interesting nod.

Also, I am all for Anguirus being female, this incarnation or overall, mainly with how great this version of Anguirus is. Good on you, you funky spike dog.

RIP Evan.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:29 pm The potential Varan form also has the tie in of being the beast-god of an ancient village.

Would be an interesting nod.

Also, I am all for Anguirus being female, this incarnation or overall, mainly with how great this version of Anguirus is. Good on you, you funky spike dog.
The subs are the only thing that refer to Anguirus as female. It's referred to as male when the characters speak.
Also the Varan form?
Spoiler:
Varan uses Godzilla stock footage twice, using Godzilla's legs and tail in place of Varan's
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Sun May 02, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

From what I can tell the female Anguirus translation is just poor translation. Some have argued it could be a machine translation, but I don't know enough about translating to really comment on that myself. However, I do know that sex/gender is commonly screwed up with machine translations, and from what I'm told the words used that are translated to "she" are supposedly ungendered words.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:35 pm From what I can tell the female Anguirus translation is just poor translation. Some have argued it could be a machine translation, but I don't know enough about translating to really comment on that myself. However, I do know that sex/gender is commonly screwed up with machine translations, and from what I'm told the words used that are translated to "she" are supposedly ungendered words.
Yeah. If anyone could give me a time stamp of when that’s uttered I can give it a check.

But, if there’s a female and male, maybe the son or the other Angurius will appear later!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I'll be disappointed if Manda fighting Aquatilis scene isn't shown in episode 7.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

vastatosaurus wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:25 am I'll be disappointed if Manda fighting Aquatilis scene isn't shown in episode 7.
I'll be pissed. At least have a classic giant monster rampage featuring one of them.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Its kinda funny they make a big deal out of anguirus's feet, but many dinosaurs had pairs of feet that looked quite different and bears are also semi-plantigrade. ...what does seem weird is the back legs being more digitigrade rather than the front. I think Anguirus's weird feet are meant to be an homage to what footprints the Showa suit would have left due to the weight distribution on the back because of crawling.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Is it heresy to say i like this more than Godzilla vs Kong so far? Because I’m liking this more than Godzilla vs Kong so far

Don’t get me wrong, the Hong Kong and final team up battle are fuckin’ awesome and the best kaiju fights I’ve ever seen...but SP is a lot better in a lot of ways
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:20 am
vastatosaurus wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:25 am I'll be disappointed if Manda fighting Aquatilis scene isn't shown in episode 7.
I'll be pissed. At least have a classic giant monster rampage featuring one of them.
Yeah, I’m in agreement. I think episode 7 is where they really need to ramp up the scale and the threats. Just having the Manda or Aquatalis destroy a bunch of shit or destroy the military for a prolonged sequence would be more than enough for me.

Episode 7 will be out in 14 hours so it’s time for everyone to start making their guesses!
Jermobooka wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm Is it heresy to say i like this more than Godzilla vs Kong so far? Because I’m liking this more than Godzilla vs Kong so far.
Let’s try to avoid making comparisons until SP is fully out, but I’d agree. I think the thing is GvK is fantastic with the action when it gets going, and has some cool ideas, but a lot of it is rehashed older Godzilla film ideas and clues. SP feels very original, with both its characters, settings and redesigns. There’s a sense of intrigue and depth.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue May 04, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm Is it heresy to say i like this more than Godzilla vs Kong so far? Because I’m liking this more than Godzilla vs Kong so far

Don’t get me wrong, the Hong Kong and final team up battle are skreeonkin’ awesome and the best kaiju fights I’ve ever seen...but SP is a lot better in a lot of ways
I am with you on this. TBH I think the monsterverse kinda sucks. I don't hate it. It is just not my cup of tea. SP on the other I am really enjoying for it's different take. I know being different doesn't automatically make something better but given what we have seen so far I am definitely taking a liking to it!
SP feels very original, with both its characters, settings and redesigns. There’s a sense of intrigue and depth
Perfectly said. Every feels very unique and different. From the time related female Anguirus to Godzilla Aquatilis. Speaking of Aquatilis that one scene with the classic Ifukube theme was amazing! I was also surprised at how small some of the kaiju were. Not that it was a bad thing. We just never really had kaiju that weren't man sized to be that small before. Still large enough to dwarf humans of course but small enough that they would only go up to an ankle or so of standard Godzilla kaiju. It allows better interaction with the humans. At least for the setting we are presented with. Please be alive Anguirus! :Anguirus:

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I wouldn't say its heresy. Oddly enough, despite the world feeling "smaller" and more focused than the Monsterverse despite the equally global consequences, there's a lot more inspiration I'm getting here for ideas of spin-offs and side-stories. I've found myself fascinated how some other kaiju or homages to them could fit into this setting, and with the precedent established.