Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Jan EnciZilla
Ronin

Re: Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Jan EnciZilla »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 am I have a crazy insane batshit theory that isn’t as batshit as I thought it was

What if the catastrophe wasn’t Ultima terraforming the earth (maybe humans could’ve just survived in the new environment), but trapping/defeating Godzilla was the true beginning of the catastrophe, allowing the bones to be used for MG and creating an odd artificial singular point.
I got It!

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Jan EnciZilla wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:05 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 am I have a crazy insane batshit theory that isn’t as batshit as I thought it was

What if the catastrophe wasn’t Ultima terraforming the earth (maybe humans could’ve just survived in the new environment), but trapping/defeating Godzilla was the true beginning of the catastrophe, allowing the bones to be used for MG and creating an odd artificial singular point.
I got It!
Exactly what if the aliens are the real trigger?

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Been waiting to post in this thread till all episodes were released. Overall, this series is pretty solid and a big step in the right direction after the movie trilogy. The show is like a marriage between Shin Godzilla and the Showa Series. The reimagining of old kaiju and Jet Jaguar is very commendable as I would never imagined the likes of Gabara, Jet Jaguar, or Hedorah being in another film. Redesigns of the classic kaiju is mostly good with my favorites being Godzilla Ultima, Gabara (Salunga), and Anguirus. The cast of characters is also pretty good here as well with my favorite being the old man who created Jet Jaguar.

There are some criticisms that I have with the show. One major criticism I have is the lack screentime of strictly kaiju battles. Unless it involves Jet Jaguar, the cool monsters this show has are underutilized. I personally would hesitate on buying merchandise from this show besides maybe Jet Jaguar or Salunga (for the great new take on Gabara) since I don't think the other monsters did enough in the show to really merit a spot on the shelf. Another criticism I have is the overuse of discussion of this world's science. I think a lot of the science talk on the show went over my head and was a bit too confusing. I can't really get into the theories it presents if all it does is create more questions or try to make the show seem smarter than what it actually is.

I am looking forward to the next season and what it brings. I had a feeling that Ashihara was not some benevolent figure and looks like we got the tease for that with Mechagodzilla (a cool Showa MG/Kiryu hybrid). This show has limitless potential and I am excited for the future. Here's to hoping it is renewed!

Overall rating: 7/10

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

So that leak that talked about manmade meganulon (they did indeed appear, but anonymous was obviously talking about kumongas), giant anguirus and ultima not being the final form was a simple lie. That raises the question... what is the point of Kumongas? To show off JJ's development?
Last edited by Eel221 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

imposterzilla wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:01 pm
Jan EnciZilla wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:05 pm

I got It!
Exactly what if the aliens are the real trigger?
That’s unlikely because Jet Jaguar referred to Godzilla as the catastrophe. It’s more likely that the aliens are the going to cause the next catastrophe.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

It would be interesting to see a robot revolution led by MechaG under the aliens control. Maybe we will get SpaceG(crystals) and Biollante(plants)

MonsterTrinity
Young Farmer

Post by MonsterTrinity »

imposterzilla wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:12 am It would be interesting to see a robot revolution led by MechaG under the aliens control. Maybe we will get SpaceG(crystals) and Biollante(plants)
That is what I have been thinking could occur in season 2. Have it build up towards all three of them fighting in the finale of the second season.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I was weirdly glad to see Meganulon in the finale. I kept speculating the Kumongas were them bc of the radical design change, but then they ended up being our lovable spider kaiju. Glad to see they decided to include Meganulon after all!
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Post by BennettCommando »

Here are my thoughts:
A great series, but not without some flaws. Overall, it has done much better than that Trilogy film.

The series also proved itself to be on a stark contrast with Monsterverse movies, especially GVK. So far, I'm looking forward to a possible season 2.

Now, as for the mystery of this series. Here are my understandings. I don't know if that is just a coincidence or not, but the overall plot was similar to some of Doraemon movies. In which the future has been decided(Avoiding the Catastrophe.), While our characters’ actions might be completing the cycle. It seems that the AI has been sending codes and message to the past.Ashihara gathered those messages and recorded in his notes. And his notes led Mei and Yun to complete the cycle, thus avoiding the Catastrophe.
Last edited by BennettCommando on Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Ok so I've watched the whole series. I guess it's just not for me. Maybe the English dub in Netflix will make more sense? I had no issue with the monster designs, but having watched the whole season, I have no idea what singular point is. None of the characters are memorable , and the Kaiju are barely in it. Yay we finally get a monster fight for about 30 seconds at the end of the last episode. I've said this before but the best part of this series is the end credits, THAT is the show I want to see. That teaser at the end was pretty good, but they'll probably ruin it. I'll give the show one more chance in English next week, but as of now it's an entire waste of something that could have been awesome.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

CyberZilla wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:08 am I was weirdly glad to see Meganulon in the finale. I kept speculating the Kumongas were them bc of the radical design change, but then they ended up being our lovable spider kaiju.
Uh... no they didn't.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eMJayHaych
Young Farmer

Post by eMJayHaych »

Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:46 am
CyberZilla wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:08 am I was weirdly glad to see Meganulon in the finale. I kept speculating the Kumongas were them bc of the radical design change, but then they ended up being our lovable spider kaiju.
Uh... no they didn't.
They certainly looked like the showa Meganulon at least! Hopefully they get to keep the name too.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Uh... no they didn't.
Yes they did lmao
not our problem you couldn't tell manda from ebirah somehow
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eMJayHaych wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:12 am
Uh... no they didn't.
They certainly looked like the showa Meganulon at least! Hopefully they get to keep the name too.
Talking about the supposed Kumonga in Singular Point. ;)

Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:59 am
Uh... no they didn't.
Yes they did lmao
not our problem you couldn't tell manda from ebirah somehow
If you want to revise history like that and pretend their was no speculation as to Manda’s identity back when the first trailer was released, then sure, be my guest.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 am
eMJayHaych wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:12 am

Uh... no they didn't.
Talking about the supposed Kumonga in Singular Point. ;)
They still turned out to be our lovable spider kaiju. The design doesn't matter here, they're supposed to be good ole Kumonga.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I totally get not liking the SP redesigns, but Spuro, constantly coming in just to rant on them is becoming annoying. Please stop.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Discussion of the “re-designs” can be done in the appropriate thread:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=31695

Added in 54 minutes 20 seconds:
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:53 pm There are some criticisms that I have with the show. One major criticism I have is the lack screentime of strictly kaiju battles. Unless it involves Jet Jaguar, the cool monsters this show has are underutilized. I personally would hesitate on buying merchandise from this show besides maybe Jet Jaguar or Salunga (for the great new take on Gabara) since I don't think the other monsters did enough in the show to really merit a spot on the shelf. Another criticism I have is the overuse of discussion of this world's science. I think a lot of the science talk on the show went over my head and was a bit too confusing. I can't really get into the theories it presents if all it does is create more questions or try to make the show seem smarter than what it actually is.
I'm hoping that Season 1 was just an introduction to the world and big monsters. But I agree, it's a bit disappointing how we have concepts that are super cool that don't get fully utilized. I would have loved to see way more of Godzilla's three forms. Would it have been that hard to flesh out Aquatalis vs. Manda? Or Godzilla vs. Manda?

I think the season succeeded on the story it told, but I really wish we got more monster fights and action. It's weird because all the action with JJ is great, and the series starts off on a really strong scene of Rodan vs. JJ, but sans the final fight it never reaches that cliff of fighting again.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:55 pm Added in 54 minutes 20 seconds:
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:53 pm There are some criticisms that I have with the show. One major criticism I have is the lack screentime of strictly kaiju battles. Unless it involves Jet Jaguar, the cool monsters this show has are underutilized. I personally would hesitate on buying merchandise from this show besides maybe Jet Jaguar or Salunga (for the great new take on Gabara) since I don't think the other monsters did enough in the show to really merit a spot on the shelf. Another criticism I have is the overuse of discussion of this world's science. I think a lot of the science talk on the show went over my head and was a bit too confusing. I can't really get into the theories it presents if all it does is create more questions or try to make the show seem smarter than what it actually is.
I'm hoping that Season 1 was just an introduction to the world and big monsters. But I agree, it's a bit disappointing how we have concepts that are super cool that don't get fully utilized. I would have loved to see way more of Godzilla's three forms. Would it have been that hard to flesh out Aquatalis vs. Manda? Or Godzilla vs. Manda?

I think the season succeeded on the story it told, but I really wish we got more monster fights and action. It's weird because all the action with JJ is great, and the series starts off on a really strong scene of Rodan vs. JJ, but sans the final fight it never reaches that cliff of fighting again.
Aptly put. While I did love this show if I had to pick the biggest weakness it is lack of monster action. The original and unique concepts were certainly very awesome but I think there should have been more time to actually use them on screen more often. As you said the initial fight of Rodan and Jet Jaguar :JetJaguar: was fantastic but never really replicated in grandeur. The fights involving Godzilla were magnificent but very brief. Too brief. They all basically came down to the opponent getting a hit or two in, pissing off Godzilla and then getting blasted away. I am guessing the Mechagodzilla glimpse implies further monster action in the future because I don't see why Mechagodzilla would be created and shown as a cliffhanger post credits scene just to be trashed in a few seconds. Although it certainly begs the question how is Godzilla going to return? Again we didn't just go through introducing Mechagodzilla just for him to sit idly by. He's gotta fight Godzilla! So what is going to bring Godzilla back into our realm?

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

What if G is just trapped under the blue crystals? Perhaps Ashihara is working with the aliens to subjugate humanity to save them from themselves and Godzilla becomes Gojira Subterraineous...ie: Baragon dig(aha!) to escape before morphing to Ultima again

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

imposterzilla wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:35 pm What if G is just trapped under the blue crystals? Perhaps Ashihara is working with the aliens to subjugate humanity to save them from themselves and Godzilla becomes Gojira Subterraineous...ie: Baragon dig(aha!) to escape before morphing to Ultima again
I doubt it; Sarunga already incorporates some of Baragon's designs. What I could see though is Godzilla looking like SG for a few episodes if he's impaled by the crystals or whatever. I think it's strange (and middle disappointing) that we actually don't see Godzilla's trapped corpse or what not.

Originally some people were saying Ultima didn't distinguish itself enough from Shin, and I started to agree. However, with the last episode and things overall, I can't help but think it's distinct enough. All the stuff with the red mist, and Tokyo being covered in it really feels unique to this entry, as well as the swarms of monsters. Ultima unfortunately could've used more interesting or separate powers, but the rings around his beam are a nice touch. When he does move, he moves fast, and he's way more fearsome and monstrous than Shin, something that I didn't feel could have been done.

Another complaint I foresee people having is how there's small fodder Kaiju, like the Rodan, Kumonga and Angurius. It feels like though that all of these were an intentional choice to keep low stakes early on, as well as give the human cast and JJ something feasible to take on before JJ gets huge in the final episode. I have a feeling that future seasons will focus primarily on big monsters and action involving them and we won't have to "start from scratch".

I think it's impossible to ignore though that Godzilla SP is essentially a followup to Shin Godzilla and owes a lot to it. That's fine.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.