Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 2)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:06 pm Woah...the outro on the second episode. Does this mean were getting Biollante, Kiryu, etc? What did I just see? Loving the series so far. I'm hooked.
I wouldn't think too much of it, but it'S possible the monsters in the ending might appear. Don't get disappointed otherwise though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:13 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:06 pm Woah...the outro on the second episode. Does this mean were getting Biollante, Kiryu, etc? What did I just see? Loving the series so far. I'm hooked.
I wouldn't think too much of it, but it'S possible the monsters in the ending might appear. Don't get disappointed otherwise though.
Yeah I kind of just realized that. Feel a bit silly posting that now. Man...what I would give to see Kiryu in anime form. Really wishing we got the classic designs. I feel like it would make this anime PERFECT. Still really enjoying it so far, though. Interested in seeing where the story will go.

Tjezz
Young Farmer

Post by Tjezz »

Wow. I’m surprised. I had really low expectations but the first two episodes and the outro hooked me in. I can’t believe there’s a chance Kiryu and Biollante will be in the same series. It’s a shame this will get overshadowed by GvK. But I suppose it’s a great time to be a G-Fan.

Tjezz
Young Farmer

Post by Tjezz »

Wow. I’m surprised. I had really low expectations but the first two episodes and the outro hooked me in. I can’t believe there’s a chance Kiryu and Biollante will be in the same series. It’s a shame this will get overshadowed by GvK. But I suppose it’s a great time to be a G-Fan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I rewatched episode 2. I might be wrong, but one thing I missed is that Satomi I think, visited Ootaki in the hospital, and I think that's where she got the print. I believe Ootaki might have been expecting something like this to happen, and that the event is some sort of legend in his family.

Meanwhile, Sato (the guy in the building who is helping the strange man), is going through the resources and other things. There's a date mentioned 1975, which is suspicious. Later when Sato is on the phone with the woman, he refers to the bones as "dinosaur bones" and tells the woman he doesn't really understand it all. I think that explains why the episode doesn't open on the cliffhanger. I don't think anyone in universe recognizes how crazy the Godzilla bones are.

I watched it on my big screen today and oh man, the show is gorgeous. I'm sort of annoyed that people are seeing out of context stuff from the ending and complaining "why the series doesn't look like that" when the series has stellar animation. I also noticed at various points Rodan spits, and then bleeds later; there's a clear attention to detail that give the 3D monsters a lot of movement and personality. So long as things don't take a nosedive I think we are in the clear. I'm really looking forward to the next episode because I think it's where things are going to really pop off action wise.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

All this excitement is making me impatient, i wanna watch it now!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Finally watched both episodes. I liked its conspiratorial tone so far.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I dunno, but Shiva seems suspicious.

Ultramorph
Ronin

Post by Ultramorph »

I watched the first two, and even though I don't speak Japanese, I'm really liking the characters and whole mystery vibe. They updated the official site with a glossary that gives a little more info on a few things, like Mei's field of study. Worth looking at, even if the Google translate is a bit wonky.
imposterzilla wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:24 am I dunno, but Shiva seems suspicious.
Agreed! I don't know if you noticed, but Shiva's logo on the paper Mei is looking at is the same logo above the doorway on the house Yun is investigating in the first episode. The paper Mei is looking at also says they're involved with "theoretical materials in our world and materials in a theoretical world" or something close to that. I think I can start to see where the series is going. The kaiju are mythological creatures that are going to become real because of dimension-hopping shenanigans.

The poster also makes a reference to the "369 Rule" (all the 6s and 9s on the poster) which is something like writing your intensions 3, 6, or 9 times will cause what you want to manifest. There's definitely a "fiction becoming reality" thing going on.

Also, I hope Toho actually makes those Rodan plushies.
Last edited by Ultramorph on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Watched the fansub a couple days ago and so far, Otaki is my favorite character. Kinda ironic since I actually hated his design back when he (and the rest of the characters) were revealed.

Ultramorph
Ronin

Post by Ultramorph »

I saw a few subbed clips on YouTube, and I wonder if the dialog is actually vulgar or if that's the translator taking liberties. Otaki dropped an F-bomb in the clip I saw. Doesn't bother me at all, just funny.
Last edited by Ultramorph on Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultramorph
Ronin

Post by Ultramorph »

It will be on Netflix Japan this Wednesday 04/07 for those who can access that.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultramorph wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:50 pm I saw a few subbed clips on YouTube, and I wonder if the dialog is actually vulgar or if that's the translator taking liberties. Otaki dropped an F-bomb in the clip I saw. Doesn't bother me at all, just funny.
No Ootaki is not dropping F-bombs in japanese :roll:

He's a bit grumpy, and speaks informally at bits, but he's not saying anything that bad. There's a lot of japanese words that are rude, but don't have the same connection to vulgarity in English. There's a lot of japanese phrases like shimatta, which just express regret, that conveys regret that is often translated as "damn". This historically has always been an issue with fansubs. I'm not going to be mean or degrade someone else's translations, but it's historically been a problem of making characters seem more potty mouthed than they are.

Really looking forward to the next episode though. I need to figure out what time Wednesday Netflix Japan puts it up.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:37 pm Really looking forward to the next episode though. I need to figure out what time Wednesday Netflix Japan puts it up.
Thursday 0:00 in Japan.
Hi!

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Gotta say, I love the bit where Mei's calling Yun to investigate the facility, while Yun's already breaking in to do that exact thing.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

I'm really excited to see more of Jet Jaguar and Ootaki. I thought he'd be an annoying character, but he turned out to be one of my favorites with his voice and personality. I hope now that JJ has an AI in him he'll have some kind of personality like Pero 2 does.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:37 pm
Ultramorph wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:50 pm I saw a few subbed clips on YouTube, and I wonder if the dialog is actually vulgar or if that's the translator taking liberties. Otaki dropped an F-bomb in the clip I saw. Doesn't bother me at all, just funny.
No Ootaki is not dropping F-bombs in japanese :roll:

He's a bit grumpy, and speaks informally at bits, but he's not saying anything that bad. There's a lot of japanese words that are rude, but don't have the same connection to vulgarity in English. There's a lot of japanese phrases like shimatta, which just express regret, that conveys regret that is often translated as "damn". This historically has always been an issue with fansubs. I'm not going to be mean or degrade someone else's translations, but it's historically been a problem of making characters seem more potty mouthed than they are.

Really looking forward to the next episode though. I need to figure out what time Wednesday Netflix Japan puts it up.
Speaking of mistranslation, in the first episode, did those kids actually call JJ "cringe"? Or is that another liberty taken by the fansubs?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:51 pmSpeaking of mistranslation, in the first episode, did those kids actually call JJ "cringe"? Or is that another liberty taken by the fansubs?
The fuck? No. They tease Yun and JJ there, saying something that’s more akin to “Jet Jaguar is a loser”. For the record I haven’t seen the fan subs. I’m not going to question someone’s ability to understand Japanese. However, it seems like whoever is doing it, is taking some fun liberties with interpreting and giving the kids/characters, *ahem* more colorful dialogue.

Thinking about it more, it’s not a mistranslation. When you translate something there’s a lot of variables and meanings inherently change/lose and gain meaning. I just think it’s a bit excessive given modern contexts, although perhaps kids might say that.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.