Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Im so confused! I still have so many questions! Good to see my hunch was right. As we got closer to episode 13 I kept getting a stronger and stronger feeling this wasn't just some one and done series. There was just way too many questions to be answer in the dwindling runtime for there not to be. So the voices at the beginning of the series was Jung and Pero talking to each other correct? I also noticed there was a big step up in the animation department. There were some really fantastic shots of Salunga in particular. He looked sinister AF in this episode.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Am I the only one who thought that Ashihara somehow got stuck in the digital world? Some hours later I realised that it was just a vision of what he was doing back then. Yet he heard Pero 2 appear?

Also meganulon looked eerily simliar to Showa ones. I've already seen some people say that Godzilla picked them up in another dimension, perhaps the Showa universe. Is some sort of a timeline crossover still possible?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:06 am I kinda agree with that, I wish we saw just a bit more of the other forms. I was really hoping that Terrestris' tendril ability would've been expanded on, I thought that was a really good twist on a similar scene from Shin Godzilla and thought the ability could've been really cool if used more. Who knows, depending on the direction they go with the more than likely second season, maybe we'll see at least one of them again in the near future.

Added in 2 minutes 29 seconds:
Also, heads up, there's a Godzilla Singular Point Climax Commemoration event stream being held in roughly 3 days. It'll have appearances from some of the VA's and either the OP or ED group (or both). Although it's highly unlikely, there's also always the small possibility of maybe getting some sort of official announcement for a season 2. Probably not, but we'll see; I figure it's worth mentioning at least
The finale doesn't air in Japan on TV till next week, when it'll also drop on Netflix worldwide.
I don't think they'd say much more than "yeah there might be a season 2". Don't expect much.
Eel221 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:07 am Am I the only one who thought that Ashihara somehow got stuck in the digital world? Some hours later I realised that it was just a vision of what he was doing back then. Yet he heard Pero 2 appear?

Also meganulon looked eerily simliar to Showa ones. I've already seen some people say that Godzilla picked them up in another dimension, perhaps the Showa universe. Is some sort of a timeline crossover still possible?
Possibly. It is a bit strange how they in contrast to all the other monsters have very little of a redesign. Even if it's just an Easter egg it's cool to see the Showa forms make a comeback. I wouldn't be surprised if it was "caught them in another dimension". For all we know the series could be building towards that, but I don't want to over state or over speculate. Again worth repeating that G98 toys exist in universe, and the Shin Godzilla characters pop in.There's also something I didn't bring up, but in episode 1, Mei has a Rodan doll before Rodan canonically appears. It might be an animation error, but it's still strange.

I know they're magical AI things, but Pelops 2 being in a digital reality and "traveling back in time" is reaaaally strange. Cool visual though.

I think what I'll do is a little while after the series is released and the flood of people watching it for the first time dies down, I'll rename the "What would you want in a season 2" thread into an explicit "Godzilla SP Season 2 Speculation" thread, that way people can discuss both separately. Still strange.

One thing sticks with me:
"If the past can be changed, the present is the changed future,"
Meanwhile Mei has an ouroboros shirt. I think there's something I'm missing!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Eel221 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:07 am Am I the only one who thought that Ashihara somehow got stuck in the digital world? Some hours later I realised that it was just a vision of what he was doing back then. Yet he heard Pero 2 appear?
I mean Ashihara hasn't aged in over 50 years.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:20 am I mean Ashihara hasn't aged in over 50 years.
This is questionable since we haven't seen his face in clear light and he now requires a stick to walk around

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Eel221 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:25 am
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:20 am I mean Ashihara hasn't aged in over 50 years.
This is questionable since we haven't seen his face in clear light and he now requires a stick to walk around
Bald man with glasses, I forget his name has a discussion with Sato (?) about something being strange at at least being 100 years old.

Speaking of that, Sato and the bald man, despite being very important characters are absent from episode 13.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I have a crazy insane batshit theory that isn’t as batshit as I thought it was

What if the catastrophe wasn’t Ultima terraforming the earth (maybe humans could’ve just survived in the new environment), but trapping/defeating Godzilla was the true beginning of the catastrophe, allowing the bones to be used for MG and creating an odd artificial singular point.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Game2021
Young Farmer

Post by Game2021 »

I'm new here. I want to ask this question here after hearing someone make this claim elsewhere.

I met a person who says that this show is not intended for long-time, hardcore Godzilla fans but is instead meant for newcomer to the series and casual audiences. In fact, he claims that hardcore fans will not be able to enjoy this series at all. Why? Because he claims Godzilla fans are only interested in Godzilla being portrayed as a heroic savior of mankind, and because Godzilla obviously is not a good guy in this series, he believes Godzilla fans will not be able to enjoy it and that this series is intended for non-fans who don't know the franchise well.

I disagree with him completely, and he sounds like he has no idea what he's saying to begin with. This series is filled with references and cameos of the entire franchise, some so obscure that only the most hardcore fans would be able to recognize and appreciate, such as the Godzooky and monster turtle from the Zilla cartoon plushies in one of the episodes. Plus, an average audience usually thinks that Godzilla is all about monsters causing destruction and beating up each other, with barely any plot, whereas hardcore fans know that the franchise isn't always about monster action.

So yeah, I disagree with him. His claim about fans only enjoying heroic Godzilla portrayals is enough to prove he has no idea what he's saying. But what do you think as a Godzilla fan?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

We haven't gotten a genuinely heroic Godzilla out of Japan since the Showa era. Maybe one could count the times we had a decidedly worse monster to root against such as GvDestroyah or Final Wars, but even in those films Godzilla was more neutral or just not-as-bad-as-the-villains breed of antagonist. While I myself profess I am fond of the time we've had Godzilla as an outright heroic figure, that's more on account of just liking Godzilla movies with entertaining conflicts and dynamic fights more than anything else.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 am I have a crazy insane batshit theory that isn’t as batshit as I thought it was

What if the catastrophe wasn’t Ultima terraforming the earth (maybe humans could’ve just survived in the new environment), but trapping/defeating Godzilla was the true beginning of the catastrophe, allowing the bones to be used for MG and creating an odd artificial singular point.
That a terrifying thought

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 am I have a crazy insane batshit theory that isn’t as batshit as I thought it was

It interests me because Mechagodzilla has Godzilla'a theme in the cliffhanger, implying its existence makes it a new Godzilla that will cause the Catastrophe.

I could honestly see Season 2's finale being finding a way to revive Godzilla to "cancel out" Mechagodzilla's Singular Point before taking him out as a lesser of two evils way.

.....or better, Godzilla himself forms from Mechagodzilla when he goes berserk.

RIP Evan.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I think it’s very likely Godzilla was the catastrophe itself, just that MG will create an even more devastating catastrophe

Ultramorph
Ronin

Post by Ultramorph »

Crazy to think this whole show was the prelude to a Showa-style alien invasion. It’s like the characters were all bamboozled by Ashihara into destroying Godzilla and the Archetype to pave the way for Earth to be invaded. I knew from the first teaser that he had big Dr. Mafune energy.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

What if Ashihara, being obsessed with stopping "The catastrophe" creates MG in an effort to sop Godzilla, who he thinks is the catastrophe, but unwittingly instigates it?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

And what about the talk of plants and such? Godzilla may not have been the true catastrophe. Season 2 really should be a thing.

Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 am What if Ashihara, being obsessed with stopping "The catastrophe" creates MG in an effort to sop Godzilla, who he thinks is the catastrophe, but unwittingly instigates it?
That would be interesting and perhaps he thought Salunga could stop it, but MG and Salunga are responsible.

I also think Godzilla will erupt from the blue crystals

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

So after finishing SP, overall I really liked it (amazing ending), but the one thing that has stuck out to me that I really don't like is how the Godzilla forms were utilized.

I love the weird powers each form has, though I feel Shin executed the "evolving Godzilla" concept in a much better way, and had a reason to use it.

Shin's forms represent how the Fukushima disaster got worse and worse, with the tsunamis and earthquakes that happened before the eventual meltdown. Along with that, Shin's forms each feel distinct, but show a clear path of evolution from each form, with certain features slowly disappearing (like the gills getting smaller) or how Shin slowly grew his arms. There was a balance in making Godzilla grow from something unrecognizable, but it still felt like what we're looking at is a premature Godzilla.

There was absolutely no reason for Godzilla to evolve in this show. They never address it, and none of the other monsters evolve besides Salunga getting bigger and that weird shadow Rodan that Terrestris shot out of the sky. What makes it worse is the choice to use the designs they did to depict each form. Ignoring Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus not actually being present (which was disappointing) the designs have nothing in common and don't look like a series of evolutionary forms. They just look like they belong to the characters they were based off (except Terrestris, who I feel worked the best as a form) with Godzilla spikes stapled on.

I love the concept of an evolving Godzilla, but there was never a reason for him to evolve into a bunch of crazy ass forms. I guess they made the Catastrophe look like it's getting progressively worse and worse, but the forms still felt shoved in.

MonsterTrinity
Young Farmer

Post by MonsterTrinity »

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here on this thread. I have been following the posts on here for a while. I can't wait until next week to binge watch the full series. Just one thing that I noticed.
Spoiler:
After JJ sacrificed himself, did any one else think that those blue crystals that appear in place of Godzilla and JJ might hint at a possible appearance from Space Godzilla? Since this show has been about Singular Points, those crystals created from JJ using the OD could be a great way of introducing a monster that is literally the only one to be created inside of black hole.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Ok, I think somehow that code sent out got intercepted, and our mysterious new "friends" are reverse engineering modified Jet Jaguar's schematics from it and adapting them to make the new mecha.
Spoiler:
I called giant jet jaguar coming when the red dust was being researched to make new supermaterials and the OD's purpose to change the red dust into different forms depending on what code is used.

Also I loved the red smoke coming of Jet Jaguar when after his transformation.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:35 pm
I got very worried when Mr. Ootaki and Haberu fell like that. It definitely would've been a heroic death, and I got very worried. I'm actually surprised and sort of relieved that only a few people got killed off (Li, Tilda).
I found myself hoping the weird warping of geometry Godzilla was causing would save them, the opposite of when in the short story Call of Cthulhu someone just gets swallowed up by the corner of a building and disappears while fleeing Cthulhu.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 12

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:32 pm Not many things can make me shed a tear.... but damn I'll be sad if Jet Jaguar ends up sacrificing himself to defeat Godzilla.
Well, both the manly tears & the sacrifice turned out to be true, hahaha.

Man, still have to process everything. I did indeed scream and point at the screen in utter joy when JJ kicked Godzilla, made me as happy as the team up in GvK. Now with MG being a thing... whew, what a great time to be a MG fan. Great time to be a Godzilla fan in general!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos