Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

Post by kaijukurt »

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/ ... 42944?s=20

Official images of 3 upcoming Singular Point figures!
Spoiler:
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Spoiler:
Worth noting that Titanosaurus actually isnt titanosaurus

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

They updated the artwork of "Adult" Rodan on the website.

New:

Old:
Hi!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Gotschiller wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:54 am They updated the artwork of "Adult" Rodan on the website.

New:

Old:
Really warming up to the Rodan design. Now I love all of them lol
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

Gotschiller wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:54 am They updated the artwork of "Adult" Rodan on the website.

New:

Old:
What's weird is that the new image, while more accurate in the feet and wig claws, is still inaccurate to the screen version, in ways the first image wasn't! The skin patterns and dorsal fins on the first image look closer to the version seen in Episode 3. Makes me wonder if both of these images are concept art from before the design was finalized.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

You Wanna Play A Little Game?!

Might contain slight spoilers.
Hi!

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Phew, so Rodan DOES have feet. Great x) I was so confused by his lack of digits on the old version.

If all the SP monsters end up having Godzilla dorsal fins, I think I might like it, or at least for the Godzilla-related ones like Rodan there. It reminds me of how pretty much all PR monsters are connected in design through their glowing runes and mutliple eyes.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Gotschiller wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:44 am You Wanna Play A Little Game?!

Wooooaaaah, is that official? It’s fun!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm

What's it like? My wifi is awful tonight, I can't load it up.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm Wooooaaaah, is that official?
It is. Will only be playable till the end of April!
Last edited by Gotschiller on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:22 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm

What's it like? My wifi is awful tonight, I can't load it up.
The best way i could describe it is a weird, 8-bit, vertical obstacle game where you have to drive and avoid flying Rodan’s

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I got decently far in the SP mobile game. I wonder if they’ll make more and release a compilation. Figures and designs look good.

Also heads up: Whatever the Japanese site posts, is probably corresponding to episodes as they air. As a result, they will probably eventually release connect art for yet unrevealed monsters. Please do not post those here in this thread, should that happen, or at the very least, use spoiler tags and make it very clear. I imagine a lot of people are going to want to watch it in full once it's dropped on Netflix elsewhere.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

One of the lead writers has a degree in physics and wanted the series to be as scientifically accurate as possible. So much of the scientific jargon within the series has a basis in reality.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

https://otakinen-museum.note.jp/n/n57366b3c9ad2

A nice little write-up from the Ukiyo-e Ōta Memorial Museum of Art about the different ukiyo-e pieces in Singular Point.

Also, a video on the production history of the series! Some spoilers in the video.

Some interesting points include:
- the series started development even before the debut of the Polygon trilogy
- director Atsushi Takahashi's previous Doraemon gig of "science fiction + entertainment" directly led to his hiring
Last edited by kaijukurt on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijukurt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:16 pm https://otakinen-museum.note.jp/n/n57366b3c9ad2

A nice little write-up from the Ukiyo-e Ōta Memorial Museum of Art about the different ukiyo-e pieces in Singular Point.

Also, a video on the production history of the series! Some spoilers in the video.

- director Atsushi Takahashi's previous Doraemon gig of "science fiction + entertainment" directly led to his hiring
Thanks for sharing both. I can read some of the museum article, and it's fascinating. I think everyone should be able to read and understand in their browser. Likewise, the video is great and I skimmed through it. Interesting all around, and I definitely see the Shin Godzilla influence. It's cool to see how this has happened.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:53 pm
kaijukurt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:16 pm https://otakinen-museum.note.jp/n/n57366b3c9ad2

Thanks for sharing both. I can read some of the museum article, and it's fascinating. I think everyone should be able to read and understand in their browser. Likewise, the video is great and I skimmed through it. Interesting all around, and I definitely see the Shin Godzilla influence. It's cool to see how this has happened.
Knowing you live (or lived) in Japan, do you know if the crocodile-shark mentioned in the article and depicted in the woodcuts correlate to the "wani" creature in Japanese mythology? I am afraid google may have mangled the translation.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:09 pmKnowing you live (or lived) in Japan, do you know if the crocodile-shark mentioned in the article and depicted in the woodcuts correlate to the "wani" creature in Japanese mythology? I am afraid google may have mangled the translation.
ワニ/Wani just means Crocodile. WaniZame or (ワニザメ/鰐鮫). That is what is being discussed there. They're taking inspiration from art for this series and adapting Godzilla to fit that mold.

The print, that is referenced in Godzilla SP is based on a modified print. You can read about it here:
https://www.britishmuseum.org/collectio ... 220-0-1339

This is the artist, who is well-known:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utagawa_Kuniyoshi

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:31 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:09 pmKnowing you live (or lived) in Japan, do you know if the crocodile-shark mentioned in the article and depicted in the woodcuts correlate to the "wani" creature in Japanese mythology? I am afraid google may have mangled the translation.
ワニ/Wani just means Crocodile. WaniZame or (ワニザメ/鰐鮫). That is what is being discussed there. They're taking inspiration from art for this series and adapting Godzilla to fit that mold.

The print, that is referenced in Godzilla SP is based on a modified print. You can read about it here:
https://www.britishmuseum.org/collectio ... 220-0-1339

This is the artist, who is well-known:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utagawa_Kuniyoshi
Big thanks! I see Kuniyoshi also did the famous giant salamander print.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:14 pm One of the lead writers has a degree in physics and wanted the series to be as scientifically accurate as possible. So much of the scientific jargon within the series has a basis in reality.
Very interesting. I wonder how much more of this “realistic science” is going to be incorporated in the series down the line

Wow. Thanks for the link! Definitely gonna look into these later

I find it incredibly interesting how SP was developed even further back than the trilogy. I wonder if that means that SP is intended to be the Godzilla anime while the trilogy was meant to fill the gap years and keep interest in Godzilla alive
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:33 am
I find it incredibly interesting how SP was developed even further back than the trilogy. I wonder if that means that SP is intended to be the Godzilla anime while the trilogy was meant to fill the gap years and keep interest in Godzilla alive
You're looking too much into it, this is pretty normal for Toho Godzilla. The most obvious example I can think of is Shin Godzilla. Hideaki Anno was first contacted by Toho for the job around January of 2013, approximately 2 months before principal photography even began on Godzilla 2014. Of course, Godzilla 1998 was being worked on as far back as around 1992. Mothra and Mechagodzilla II were subsequently released, and after the TriStar film's delay, SpaceGodzilla and Destoroyah came out. There's a couple of other examples, but would be the main omes
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg