Original Monsters in World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Original Monsters in World of Godzilla

Post by Terasawa »

What kind of rugs do you have that look like this?

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KaijuDude810
Yojimbo

Post by KaijuDude810 »

Vakanai wrote:
KaijuDude810 wrote:
Vakanai wrote: My problem is that to me he's always kind of looked like a dirty rug with eyes. Dirty, mildewy bathroom rug that grew eyes and decided that it was going to be a kaiju.

Even for a pollution monster dirty rug is a lame design.
I’m pretty sure they were going for more of a goopy mass of sludge design, but that’s kind of hard to translate into a solid suit. Iirc Tsuburaya had passed away right before this film, so that probably didn’t help things. Considering the circumstances, I think that they did a really good job with Hedorah. I like that his final form “glistens” as a nod to his cosmic origin.

If Hedorah were to be done with today’s technology, there’s no doubt that he’d look phenomenal.
I'm sure that they did the best they could, and doing a goop monster in a solid suit is hard...but he still came out a rug monster ultimately.

And agreed, you could do the idea justice in CGI, but you'd have to change the idea and not use the solid rug design. My ideal Hedorah would look more like the Blob done as a tsunami of sludge and pollution, but that's not a popular idea here.
Honestly think that he looks pretty good. I thought the several forms were really interesting and the effects used to make the glowing and pulsating cracks atop his head were done very well.

As for a modern design, I think he should have a tangible form, but have it be kind of changing and morphing as if he’s barely holding himself together, or have his body be built to be versatile and adapt to incoming attacks. They could also go with how the concept art looks. https://wikizilla.org/w/images/7/7c/Hedorah.jpg https://wikizilla.org/w/images/c/c3/Con ... orah_1.png

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Nothing about Hedorah's texture says "rug" to me in any way.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^This is a thread for what ORIGINAL monsters you'd like to see, not pre-existing ones.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

It would be cool for Toho to bring back scrapped monsters, like Redmoon.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:What kind of rugs do you have that look like this?

None, I throw them out before they get even close to that bad. But I've seen some rugs left outside too long get somewhere about there yes.

Added in 4 minutes 7 seconds:
KaijuDude810 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
KaijuDude810 wrote: I’m pretty sure they were going for more of a goopy mass of sludge design, but that’s kind of hard to translate into a solid suit. Iirc Tsuburaya had passed away right before this film, so that probably didn’t help things. Considering the circumstances, I think that they did a really good job with Hedorah. I like that his final form “glistens” as a nod to his cosmic origin.

If Hedorah were to be done with today’s technology, there’s no doubt that he’d look phenomenal.
I'm sure that they did the best they could, and doing a goop monster in a solid suit is hard...but he still came out a rug monster ultimately.

And agreed, you could do the idea justice in CGI, but you'd have to change the idea and not use the solid rug design. My ideal Hedorah would look more like the Blob done as a tsunami of sludge and pollution, but that's not a popular idea here.
Honestly think that he looks pretty good. I thought the several forms were really interesting and the effects used to make the glowing and pulsating cracks atop his head were done very well.

As for a modern design, I think he should have a tangible form, but have it be kind of changing and morphing as if he’s barely holding himself together, or have his body be built to be versatile and adapt to incoming attacks. They could also go with how the concept art looks. https://wikizilla.org/w/images/7/7c/Hedorah.jpg https://wikizilla.org/w/images/c/c3/Con ... orah_1.png
I thought his streamlined flying form was alright. Only praise I'll ever give his design on here.

Changing and morphing could work, but again that'd get away from him looking the way he does, which is frowned on here.

Added in 5 minutes 50 seconds:
Okay, to get back to the topic, how about something that both flies and spews deadly gas? Only things I liked about Hedorah, but for a monster that doesn't walk on two legs. Really get a jet propelled kaiju that's all about flying. There's plenty of flyers, but they rely on wing power. Jet or rocket based propulsion is something that you don't see too much of. Just Gamera and kind of Hedorah. There's a lot left unexplored with the concept.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's another idea : Why not feature more kaiju inspired by traditional Asian folklore, whether it be from Japan or abroad? That territory is a goldmine of untapped potential for new kaiju. Just a few examples include your typical multi-armed Hindu deity not unlike the Kali statue for those of you familiar with the works of Ray Harryhausen, or a Baku (A dream-eating Tapir-like creature).
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

How about The Rainbow Serpent from Indigenous Australian folklore, maybe as sort of a King Ghidorah world-ended or more of a traditional deity kaiju like Manda.
For Emperor and Empire!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I'm all for new monsters.

I've said this before, but part of what drew me to the series as a kid was just the simple pleasure of getting to see what Godzilla was going to fight next. With each entry I watched, I was blown away by the variety of opponents, which seemed to get increasingly colorful and wild.

In recent years, the tendency has been to rely on bringing back classic monsters, which has its own appeal, but after a while, I kind of wish the menagerie of monsters would keep growing. Its one of the reasons I like the additions of the MUTOs, The Skullcrawlers, and even the cameo bunch from KOTM. Its always good to get monsters in there to freshen things up.

So if World of Godzilla can give us some more new potential stars, I'll be happy.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Maybe something with an aura, something eerie and otherworldly, maybe even ghost like. Could be a floating dead kaiju corpse with "ghost fire" surrounding it's body.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

In addition to new monsters, they should try to salvage various monsters from the cutting room floor. For example, Mogu, Redmoon and of course, Bagan.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I've been thinking, I want to see more wild and weird monsters in World Of Godzilla. Things like a giant version of Skeleton Turtle, something with see through skin, more weird alien monsters like Gigan and actual supernatural creatures.

The Monsterverse is doing a really good of realistic versions of the monsters, so why not go in the other direction.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

kingkevzilla88 wrote: something with see through skin,
A monster made of glass?
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Gigantis wrote:
A monster made of glass?
Well sort of, I got the idea from a news story about new species of frog that has transparent skin. I just thought that would be an interesting idea, then it reminded me about those anatomy pictures of kaiju.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
A monster made of glass?
Well sort of, I got the idea from a news story about new species of frog that has transparent skin. I just thought that would be an interesting idea, then it reminded me about those anatomy pictures of kaiju.
Funny enough, glass frogs was what inspired me to make my Godzilla have see through skin in my fanfic before I lost interest and didn't finish it.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Living Corpse wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
A monster made of glass?
Funny enough, glass frogs was what inspired me to make my Godzilla have see through skin in my fanfic before I lost interest and didn't finish it.
That would have been interesting.

I'm trying to think how something like this could be done as suitatmation. It would be early done with CGI, but I would like to see it done the old fashioned way.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^It would be impossible to pull something like that off with traditional suitmation.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

LegendZilla wrote:^It would be impossible to pull something like that off with traditional suitmation.
I've thought of a way that it could be done. So bare with, start with a thin back suit, then sculpt all bone,organs and muscles over of it. Then use CGI to add a transparent layer over it. That could work, right?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

You know what? Let's have a monsters who's omniscent. A.K.A: A monster who can literally see everything and anything on Earth and is impossible to pull something like a surprise attack on.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Maybe a variant of a space monster. More alien like than we’ve seen before. Multiple eyes etc.