Will Toho use suits?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

Will Toho use suits again going forward?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 42

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Re: Will Toho use suits?

Post by Denis »

MegaGoji wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:03 pm For the next Toho G movie they just mix practical effects with CGI which could make it pretty realistic.

For example a Godzilla suit can be used for the simple attacks and the CGI can be used for more complex attacks and movement that can't be done with practical effects.
I prefer mostly CGI, but using animatronics for close up shots.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:05 pm
Lesko wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:04 amI hope they actually use a mix to achieve the best appearance for what works on any given situation.
This, 100%.
Perfectly stated!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Denis wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:37 am I prefer mostly CGI, but using animatronics for close up shots.
Exactly. This is what I think they will do

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Denis wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:04 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:42 pm I think suitmation is going to be relegated to things like commercials, collaborations, smaller projects like short films or those live shows, while their theatrical films, rides, and bigger projects in general (even their anime, as much as I'd like a 2D Godzilla...) will all use CGI to bring the monsters to life - with the possibility of some measure of practical effects to enhance the CG work like what the Jurassic Park/World films do sometimes.

Ultimately, I'm okay with this development. Not that I have anything against suitmation of course, I mean I'm a kaiju fan - but their CGI looks good, I thought Shin was amazingly well done in that department (never mind that it's the best Godzilla movie of this century, Japanese or American) whether it was film Shin, ride Shin (vs NGE), or short film Shin (a couple museum videos and the like). And their CGI presumably has only improved to some extent in the half decade since, and their most recent ride has a Godzilla design that many of us would love to see get used in one of their theatrical movies it looks so good. And beyond that, while Toho may not use suitmation anymore, it's not dead. Ultraman and pretty much all other television kaiju shows can't afford that kind of CGI for a tv/streaming show so they'll still use suits. Indie kaiju films and short films can't afford good CGI so we'll still get things like Howl from Beyond the Fog or the upcoming Brush of the God.

While Toho will probably go all in on CGI, most especially for their theatrical releases, and honestly they probably should (they also have to compete with Chinese and South Korean productions more, and those countries use CGI), there's still going to be enough suitmation elsewhere this decade to provide a healthy balance of variety. I mean look at films in the Western world now - we only get CGI spectacles on the big screen, but there's a rise in practical effects movies intended for the small screen like Psycho Goreman. I see it going the same way in Japan. The big screen releases will be CGI, but there will be smaller niche products where the use of practical effects and suitmation is a selling point. Yeah, we'll get not great stuff like the Raiga vs Ohga film, but we'll get gems like Howl from Beyond the Fog too.

And ultimately - does it matter? Suit or CGI, as long as the film is good as a kaiju picture like Shin or Howl then how the effects are done matter little to the actual enjoyment of the film. We all just want to be entertained right?
Worth mentioning we’re getting a Godzilla short film titled GvG2, a sequel to Gemstone’s GvG, and it appears to be CGI. So if anything, we will probably see back and forth with short films.
True, but by short films I was really thinking more of non-Toho produced stuff since they don't regularly do shorts (at least that I know of anyways). This seems like a one off thing for them, but I could be wrong. Certainly wouldn't be against it.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.