Would you like to see more theatrical releases?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Would you like to see more theatrical releases?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Seeing Godzilla 98 and 2000 practically back to back was pretty awesome back in the day.

I got to thinking, wouldn't it be great if Toho started doing more theatrical releases in America? Between the Monster Verse and some Toho films, we would have a lot to look forward to. And it's a great way to introduce the franchise to a new generation.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Would you like to see more theatrical releases?

Post by Gigantis »

Unfortunately,almost every Toho release would probably be limited then we'd have to wait forever to get it out on DVD just like Shin. But yeah it would be cool!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

tyrantgoji wrote:Unfortunately,almost every Toho release would probably be limited then we'd have to wait forever to get it out on DVD just like Shin. But yeah it would be cool!
Isn't Toho expanding as a studio in America? I swear that was part of their World of Godzilla plans.

A more aggressive expansion could be mean faster localization. No longer relying on third party companies for localization. Actual theatrical releases again.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Unfortunately,almost every Toho release would probably be limited then we'd have to wait forever to get it out on DVD just like Shin. But yeah it would be cool!
Isn't Toho expanding as a studio in America? I swear that was part of their World of Godzilla plans.

A more aggressive expansion could be mean faster localization. No longer relying on third party companies for localization. Actual theatrical releases again.
I thought they just said the wanted to spread Godzilla worldwide? And lets be honest,things like this take a lot of time to go through so it might be a while till we get an actual theatrical Japanese release.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:

I thought they just said the wanted to spread Godzilla worldwide? And lets be honest,things like this take a lot of time to go through so it might be a while till we get an actual theatrical Japanese release.
It's a mix of both, expansion of the license as well as their company
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm definitely for it, even if it's a limited event kind of deal like what we got with Shin. Seeing Godzilla on the big screen is a real treat.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I'd love to see more Toho Godzilla films in theaters. Though part of me is worried that yearly releases contributed to the end of the heisei and millennium series, and another part of me is worried about audience burnout.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

shadowgigan wrote:I'd love to see more Toho Godzilla films in theaters. Though part of me is worried that yearly releases contributed to the end of the heisei and millennium series, and another part of me is worried about audience burnout.
Audience burnout is essentially inevitable, as history has shown us with any genre, kaiju films included. Even mainstays like musicals, westerns, YA movies, and (eventually) superhero movies all have passed and will pass. What IS important is to enjoy the film's we get and hope the creative end doesn't experience burnout. =)

That's not to say we should be complacent in our acceptance of sub-par product, but we should just enjoy the boom moment we've got going now. We don't know how long it will last. It could be nearly over. It's not hard to imagine a worst-case scenario wherein GvK underperforms, LP decides not to re-up their contract, and one or two financial and creative misfires from Toho ends the 2013-present rollercoaster of content.

Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Post by Italian G-Fan »

That would be fantastic to be honest.
From what I’ve heard, TOHO wants the future movies to be released even internationally. And with that, I hope they even mean to release the future movies not only in America, but even in other countries, like Italy.
Here in Italy arrives, like, only the half the Godzilla movies. The last one who arrived in Italy was Shin Godzilla. All the others never arrived in Italy, and to see them I had to go to streaming sites. So yeah. Seeing future Godzilla movies being released internationally would be very appreciate.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I don’t think a Toho is planning on making films on a yearly basis like in the past, which will help the “burnout” factor. Plus, there’s no way a Toho released Godzilla film theatrically here would be a wide release. Maybe something in between Shin and G2000. More theaters than Shin but less than G2000. Something like 1000 theaters nationwide.

With international releases they may have to release through another party.

Toho definitely wants to go more global. Hopefully China will play a big part.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Cookson wrote:I don’t think a Toho is planning on making films on a yearly basis like in the past, which will help the “burnout” factor. Plus, there’s no way a Toho released Godzilla film theatrically here would be a wide release. Maybe something in between Shin and G2000. More theaters than Shin but less than G2000. Something like 1000 theaters nationwide.

With international releases they may have to release through another party.

Toho definitely wants to go more global. Hopefully China will play a big part.
Yeah, yearly movies are a no-no as long as the MonsterVerse is still going strong.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

I feel that if there are more theatrical releases of Japanese movies in the States, I'll have a chance to meet actual G fans. the showings I attended of the two Legendary Pictures movies, assuming there was anyone in the theater other than myself, were full of old people and children. neither really understood much and they weren't very enthusiastic, even staying mostly silent at the executions.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

It's a shame that the first Godzilla movie I'd seen in theaters was Godzilla 1998. Yeah I already saw several Showa and Heisei films on VHS & TV and went in expecting that but with a big Hollywood budget. -_-

On the bright side, I did see Godzilla 2000 in theaters, that was awesome. And I got to see Shin Godzilla in theaters. Shin I consider a Halloween movie, cause it was in selecte theaters in October. A new Toho Godzilla film in U.S. theaters in for the Halloween season? And starring a Godzilla that looks like a horror monster? How fitting and who would have ever thought. It was prefect, giant monsters, monsters, Halloween. Close enough. It helped he looked horrific.

TLDR: YES!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Don't care - I don't live in Japan, I don't live anywhere near one of those theaters that do "limited" screenings of smaller/indy/foreign films, so theatrical or not anything Toho makes I don't get to see until it becomes available on home media here.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

UltramanGoji wrote:I'm definitely for it, even if it's a limited event kind of deal like what we got with Shin. Seeing Godzilla on the big screen is a real treat.
This is acceptable. I'd love a wide release for the upcoming Japanese films, but I don't see it happening in the US...

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I wish a new film would come out soon so I could take advantage of the fact I could easily see it in theaters.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:Seeing Godzilla 98 and 2000 practically back to back was pretty awesome back in the day.

I got to thinking, wouldn't it be great if Toho started doing more theatrical releases in America? Between the Monster Verse and some Toho films, we would have a lot to look forward to. And it's a great way to introduce the franchise to a new generation.
It was great seeing Shin Godzilla in theaters, I hope the next live action Godzilla gets at least that treatment. :)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Sad I missed the limited theatrical run of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe back in the day. One thing I think Toho is looking into is to start co-financing productions for international release. I mean tons of Chinese studios are doing it these days, I think Toho wants in on the action. I think I'd be pretty cool if Toho started to co-develop films with Warner/Legendary. Despite their best apparent attempts there's just something for me that the Legendary films lack. They don't quite feel like Godzilla movies. Most of the proper ingredients are there but they just feel off to me. I wonder if having more direct Japanese involvement would change that? It's not just them though, I get the same kind of vibes from the anime trilogy, so who knows.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Man would I be excited for that to happen again but it won't happen for a while if at all. I know Toho's planing on giving more exposure of Godzilla to the world right now but I'm not sure if even that's going to bring back bringing Godzilla movies to mass theaters again. Hope I'd be proven wrong.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?