How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Frankenstein in World of Godzilla?

Post by edgaguirus »

I could see Frank in another film. It all depends on how the character is handled and portrayed. Personally, I'd want to see him as more humanoid creature, as it would make him both frightening and a little sympathetic.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

No thank you. While I do enjoy the Toho Frankenstein and his titular movie, I don't think he'd fit in a modern Toho universe unless they give him some serious roid powers.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Omegazilla wrote:No thank you. While I do enjoy the Toho Frankenstein and his titular movie, I don't think he'd fit in a modern Toho universe unless they give him some serious roid powers.
Why? Not every kaiju movie in a universe has to be up at Shin Godzilla levels of power or size (just look at Rampage for a good example). He just has to be strong enough to cause some great destruction scenes and believably be hard to impossible to defeat with conventional weapons. Non-kaiju sized depictions of Frankenstein are sometimes depicted as bulletproof anyways, so just scale it up. Maybe the electricity that birthed him also acts as a shield that blows up missiles. There's plenty you could do without changing him up too much.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Reiwa Mothra... How do you want her?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

We know she's coming. Without a doubt, Mothra is Toho's second biggest name. But there seems to be a divide on the Mothra fans like. On one hand, we have the "classic" Mothra, featured in the Showa era and 2003. Then there's the more "modern" Mothra from the Heisei era, complete with beams and a much more ancient backstory and mythology. So the question is, when the new Reiwa era truly begins, how do you want to see Mothra? Do you want her as a simple island guardian worshiped by a tribe? Or do you want her as an ancient guardian of the entire planet who has saved the Earth countless times from destruction?

I kind of want a bit of a blend, a bit like 2004's Final War version but done better. As much as I like the classic island guardian role, I really liked the lore introduced in the Heisei era and feel this could open the door for more ancient threats and lead her into battle/team ups with Godzilla. And while I really don't want to see ALL of Mothra's powers from the Heisei era return, I must admit I hope we see her wing lightning again. I've always liked that with her powder in 1992. Her antennae rays can remain missing, but bring those back. Design wise, again, kind of hoping for a bit of a blend of old and new. Give her just enough of the fuzz of the 90s without looking like a furby moth.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Reiwa Mothra... How do you want her?

Post by _JNavs_ »

I know everyone says enough of the "Shin = grotesque" comparisons, but if they take Mothra's design to the extreme, like they did with Shin G, I think we'd get a pretty wicked Mothra, closer to a literal Moth, and I'm sure they'd make her more maneuverable than ever (minus the MV).
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I really want them to stray away from the hymenopteran influence like they did with last time. I want a Mothra that is anatomically accurate as possible to a real moth.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'd veer closer to Heisei, with emphasis on the ancient deity factor. She can definitely have worshippers on an island, but she's a defender of Earth if not possibly the universe at large.

Power-wise, I'm all for some beams and flashy stuff, though she should still make significant use of melee and hurricane wind combat. I want her to be powerful enough to go head to head with Godzilla. The whole underdog sacrificial death and rebirth thing has been played out, at this point, and I want to see Mothra as a serious force in her own right again, preferably surviving across multiple movies.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Honestly, as long as she isn’t “Queen of the Monsters” and fits into whatever movie she appears in appropriately, then I’m fine with whatever.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly i think Toho should have the WOG incarnations stray far as possible from the MonsterVerse versions. In Mothra's case,instead of being in a symbiotic relationship with Godzilla,they should outright despise each other. Godzilla's destructive nature clashes with her need to protect the Earth all the time,and the times they have to team up against,say,Ghidorah,it's very begrudgingly.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

tyrantgoji wrote:Honestly i think Toho should have the WOG incarnations stray far as possible from the MonsterVerse versions. In Mothra's case,instead of being in a symbiotic relationship with Godzilla,they should outright despise each other. Godzilla's destructive nature clashes with her need to protect the Earth all the time,and the times they have to team up against,say,Ghidorah,it's very begrudgingly.
...you mean how Mothra always was, and KOTM for whatever reason decided to give into the whole dumb Godzilla Mothra shipping thing?

To be clear I absolutely agree, but I don’t think WOG stuff needs to be reactionary.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: ...you mean how Mothra always was, and KOTM for whatever reason decided to give into the whole dumb Godzilla Mothra shipping thing?
What are you talking about? I don't think I've ever seen a film continuity where Mothra was actively antagonistic toward Godzilla. Every time she's fought him, it's been in order to stop a threat that had to be stopped, and she was often kinda reluctant about it. In GTTHM she never expressed any hesitation to cooperate with him, she respected the original Godzilla's bones in Tokyo SOS, and she was his willing ally (and vice-versa) in Marc Cerasini's Godzilla 2000 and other Random House novels.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

JAGzilla wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: ...you mean how Mothra always was, and KOTM for whatever reason decided to give into the whole dumb Godzilla Mothra shipping thing?
What are you talking about? I don't think I've ever seen a film continuity where Mothra was actively antagonistic toward Godzilla. Every time she's fought him, it's been in order to stop a threat that had to be stopped, and she was often kinda reluctant about it. In GTTHM she never expressed any hesitation to cooperate with him, she respected the original Godzilla's bones in Tokyo SOS, and she was his willing ally (and vice-versa) in Marc Cerasini's Godzilla 2000 and other Random House novels.
Thank you for writing the comment i tried to but failed :lol:

I think seeing Godzilla and Mothra's relationship being actively antagonistic towards each other could be a really good way to go for the WOG Series.

Added in 4 hours 31 seconds:
Now going design wise for her,i think they should take a lot of cues from the GMK Mothra,she looked good with the purple eyes and wing pattern. Of course don't make her too fluffy.but she should still come off as an oddly cute monster,despite her massive mean streak. Power wise...eh,the antannae beams can stay,along with the powder wings.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It really comes down to personal preference, they could go WAAAAAAY out there with something like this:

Or something a bit more godly and furry like this:

Or something lean and godly in proportion like this:

There's really a ton of choices to pick from IRL.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:It really comes down to personal preference, they could go WAAAAAAY out there with something like this:

That first pic is gonna be a big yikes from me dog.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:It really comes down to personal preference, they could go WAAAAAAY out there with something like this:

That first pic is gonna be a big yikes from me dog.
Yeah nah I'm not a huge fan either lol, looks other-worldly but gross af.

Gigantis
Sazer

Reiwa Rodan: How do you want him?

Post by Gigantis »

Well we already have a thread discussing Reiwa Mothra,so might as well talk about Rodan.

First off,i'm gonna star design wise for him. Personally i always liked the idea of Rodan having the longer,rhamphorhynchoid tail instead of the shorter pterodactyloid one. His face would resemble the Showa one more,but he would have the Heisei's three horns instead of two. He would also keep the 56 designs pure black eyes. (because let's be honest he looks 10x more menacing with them) and of course his skin would be dark brown in color.

Next,powers,or to get to the point,lack of powers. Rodan was always better when he fought with pure physical prowess instead of spamming his uranium beam all the time. Only power i would give him would be his wind breath from the original movie.

Last,personality and relationship to Godzilla. Rodan should just be one gigantic doosh wherever he goes and to whoever he fights. Whenever it seems his opponent would get the upper hand on him he pulls off a very cheep move that gets him the upper hand again. Only kaiju that matches him in pure dooshbaggery is Godzilla himself,who in my vision is quite the psychopath. (well at the beginning anyway) He would only be slightly smaller than Godzilla (who's 85 meters in my version,so Rodan would be 80) and share the same weight.

That's all just me though,what about you?

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I like her to be treated like an ancient deity or avatar of some ancient lost civilization. If Mothra is killed another will hatch and take her place.

I want someway for them to show that she is intelligent, not just acting on instinct, but making decisions. You can have the twins, and they can speak for her, but actually show her doing something and having the character recognize it as an act of kindness.

I would like to keep away from just endless beam attacks that are only pretty lights and don't really seem to do anything. Let her keep the ability to shoot webs as an adult. The golden scale and lighting attack is nice just don't make it the she uses it she is going to die last ditch attack. I wouldn't mind the return of her spell circles idea, if they actually did something.

Lastly If they really are planning a multi film franchise, that has elements that lead from one film into another. I want to see Mothra go through her life cycle of rebirth more slowly. I don't want to see her emerge from an egg, cocoon herself, an emerge again as her adult form in one film.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Something with the physical capabilities/abilities of the Monsterverse (not necessarily the stinger, but for sure the arms capable of melee fighting for sure, and preferably the webbing too), an extended/expanded mythology like the Heisei era, and a return of the twin Mothras idea from the Showa era but actually have them both become adults at some point during the series. Something like that, with a good modern Toho design, would be the perfect Mothra/Mothras for me. Can you imagine the twin Mothras hatching from an egg like Showa, turning into two beautiful adults, butting heads a bit with Battra from the Heisei film, and the evil fairy sister from the trilogy, and able to hit and web like Monsterverse Mothra. That'd be a great blend of my favorite aspects of Mothra over the years.

Added in 14 minutes 18 seconds:
MM Raids Again wrote:And while I really don't want to see ALL of Mothra's powers from the Heisei era return, I must admit I hope we see her wing lightning again. I've always liked that with her powder in 1992.
While I can do without the rays, I could definitely go for the wing lightning returning too, and the poison powder or whatever. But it should be a rare move, nothing she can just span.

Added in 2 minutes 32 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Honestly, as long as she isn’t “Queen of the Monsters” and fits into whatever movie she appears in appropriately, then I’m fine with whatever.
What's wrong with the title Queen of the Monsters?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:Something with the physical capabilities/abilities of the Monsterverse (not necessarily the stinger, but for sure the arms capable of melee fighting for sure, and preferably the webbing too), an extended/expanded mythology like the Heisei era, and a return of the twin Mothras idea from the Showa era but actually have them both become adults at some point during the series. Something like that, with a good modern Toho design, would be the perfect Mothra/Mothras for me. Can you imagine the twin Mothras hatching from an egg like Showa, turning into two beautiful adults, butting heads a bit with Battra from the Heisei film, and the evil fairy sister from the trilogy, and able to hit and web like Monsterverse Mothra. That'd be a great blend of my favorite aspects of Mothra over the years.

Added in 14 minutes 18 seconds:
MM Raids Again wrote:And while I really don't want to see ALL of Mothra's powers from the Heisei era return, I must admit I hope we see her wing lightning again. I've always liked that with her powder in 1992.
While I can do without the rays, I could definitely go for the wing lightning returning too, and the poison powder or whatever. But it should be a rare move, nothing she can just span.

Added in 2 minutes 32 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Honestly, as long as she isn’t “Queen of the Monsters” and fits into whatever movie she appears in appropriately, then I’m fine with whatever.
What's wrong with the title Queen of the Monsters?
Eh,it fits best when she's close to Godzilla like the MonsterVerse continuity. When the two of them are rivals again,her title should become "Goddes of Earth " or something like that.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I think that that first one is probably one of those weird photoshopped pictures that I've seen done with animals before.

Probably similar to a mounted jackalope head.