Do you consider the Anime Trilogy as wholly separate from the live action films?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Do you consider the Anime Trilogy as wholly separate from the live action films?

Post by Spuro »

Blair Phoenix wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:No, I still group them in with the other films. I sometimes forget they exist, however...
Very much this. I didn't even hate them like a lot of people here. I honestly just forget their existence a lot of the time though.
Doesn't help that they don't have any physical releases. Considering I own every other movie it's hard to consider them in the same light as the other films, just looking at my shelf.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do you consider the Anime Trilogy as wholly separate from the live action films?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Blair Phoenix wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:No, I still group them in with the other films. I sometimes forget they exist, however...
Very much this. I didn't even hate them like a lot of people here. I honestly just forget their existence a lot of the time though.
Doesn't help that they don't have any physical releases. Considering I own every other movie it's hard to consider them in the same light as the other films, just looking at my shelf.
They have physical releases in Japan. While I don't know the specifics I believe that whatever deal they have with netflix prevents dvds from being sold in America of it.
The sets are expensive, but are really cool, probably the most interesting promotion in a long time:
https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSB0010043/
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: They have physical releases in Japan. While I don't know the specifics I believe that whatever deal they have with netflix prevents dvds from being sold in America of it.
The sets are expensive, but are really cool, probably the most interesting promotion in a long time:
Is that prevention of selling DvDs in the west a temporary one? And does the Japanese Blu-Ray feature subtitles?
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: They have physical releases in Japan. While I don't know the specifics I believe that whatever deal they have with netflix prevents dvds from being sold in America of it.
Is that prevention of selling DvDs in the west a temporary one?
I have no clue. I'm just saying in Japan the film is treated just as much as the main series as pretty much every entry in the franchise. Though 1998 and some other films are lumped into that category so...
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:They have physical releases in Japan. While I don't know the specifics I believe that whatever deal they have with netflix prevents dvds from being sold in America of it.
imo, the sets aren't worth it. Got all 3 - the special features are extremely bare bones, and while the "special booklets" contain some pretty neat stuff, they're not worth purchasing a set for. Very wordy with very few exclusive concept art (most others were either shared online or in the theater pamphlets). The sketch booklets are like scattered collections of storyboards, but don't contain nearly as much interesting info.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:They have physical releases in Japan. While I don't know the specifics I believe that whatever deal they have with netflix prevents dvds from being sold in America of it.
imo, the sets aren't worth it. Got all 3 - the special features are extremely bare bones, and while the "special booklets" contain some pretty neat stuff, they're not worth purchasing a set for. Very wordy with very few exclusive concept art (most others were either shared online or in the theater pamphlets). The sketch booklets are like scattered collections of storyboards, but don't contain nearly as much interesting info.
Yikes, okay thanks for letting me know.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

As much as I hate the Netflix trilogy, I wouldn't mind having a physical copy of them. I own all of them (including Zone Fighter), so I might as well finish the collection.

Are there ANY official discs in the states? I found pirated copies but I would have the official versions.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Rodan95 wrote:Are there ANY official discs in the states? I found pirated copies but I would have the official versions.
Not yet. I'm not sure there are any official English subtitled video releases anywhere in the world.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Not WHOLLY separate, but it certainly feels like they've gone off in a different direction...

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

I don't consider it cannon but I like the concept of the trilogy. I just wish we saw more of the lead up to the trilogy,
I would love to see a live action adaptation of Godzilla in the apocalypse. THAT would be dope.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rodan95 wrote:I don't consider it cannon but I like the concept of the trilogy. I just wish we saw more of the lead up to the trilogy,
I would love to see a live action adaptation of Godzilla in the apocalypse. THAT would be dope.
Considering most films have completely different cannons what do you mean by that?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The anime trilogy certainly isn't cannon.

It is, however, canon. ;)

Regardless, I'd like to shoot it with a cannon.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Rodan95 wrote:I don't consider it cannon but I like the concept of the trilogy. I just wish we saw more of the lead up to the trilogy,
Considering most films have completely different cannons what do you mean by that?
Like I dont see the Anime trilogy being in the Showa timeline. Godzilla being like a good guy then going evil? Those are totally different Styles of the character.

Then, Godzilla dies in the end of the heisei era. That is it's own Timeline.

Then there are several Timelines in the Millennium era. All those movies are cannon of the original and only the original (except Tokyo SOS). Final Wars is like it's own thing, same with Shin.

The "Trilogy" timeline is G54, then the 3 Anime movies.

At the end of the day, what is cannon anymore in the series? I just try not to think about it and try and enjoy the movies. The more you think about it, the more a headache it is to think about Godzilla cannon :dizzy:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

"Canon" is a tricky word. Fandoms have started using it to mean the same thing as "continuity," but it doesn't strictly mean that. It means all of the works that, essentially, are approved - all the things that count.

With Godzilla, that can mean "continuity" if you specify, say, "the Showa canon" or "the Heisei canon" (but in those cases I think the word "continuity" makes the intent a lot clearer); it can also mean something as broad as "all Godzilla-related stories produced by or under license from Toho," in which case all Japanese and American live-action feature films, the anime trilogy, both American animated series, the Marvel comics, the Marc Cerasini novels... basically, a ridiculous ton of stuff is all canon.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

If someone were to ask me to list off "all of the Godzilla films" (ie, feature-length productions), I would include the Anime Trilogy; so no, I don't count them separately in that regard.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Chrispy_G wrote:For example, when most people think about the Godzilla franchise, the films are the sort of main consideration. Animated series like the Hanna Barbera and 98 animated series are typically considered something separate and off to the side.

Do you look at the anime project in a similar light? Not so much 3 films in the series but more of a 'project' occurring off to the side?
No. They're Godzilla films theatrically released by Toho, just like the rest.

The Hanna Barbera series and '98 series are separate and off to the side because they're TV shows, not because they're animated. Had the animated films been released as a TV series, which I recall was the plan at one point, then yeah I'd say put them to the side. But, they weren't. They were released as theatrical films, thus they're part of the mainline Toho film series.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.