The Reiwa Era and Godzilla Movie Grouping

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: The Reiwa Era and Godzilla Movie Grouping

Post by _JNavs_ »

Except there's no need for validation when it's in the same franchise. I just appreciated that they used a G14 quote.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:Except there's no need for validation when it's in the same franchise. I just appreciated that they used a G14 quote.
Yeah but you acted as though Toho did not respect their own franchise, by intentionally pointing out that quote, and drawing attention to it, showing your desire and need for the Monsterverse films to be validated. Rather then participate in the actual exciting part, mainly the Reiwa era, and the orginization of the films you looked at that image for confirmation bias.

The fact that after I pointed out it`s obvious that they would capitalize off of their most recent films, made by Americans at an AMERICAN event, and you felt the need to interpret that as me somehow being a "Japanese elitist", when I`m not, and proceeded to go onto google translate in order to mock me shows exactly where your mind is. It`s incredibly transparent to me.

Added in 5 minutes 25 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: "Not everything needs to be a Japanese circle jerk or bust"
"The incessant need for 検証 is strong here."
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:They also just flat out lump the Monsterverse as "Hollywood" and depending on what it says 98 might just be lumped in with that. Edit: Looks like 98 is just viewed as Hollywood, which makes sense. I honestly think that`s more interesting then the Reiwa thing.
Turns out the full title for the US films is "Hollywood Productions" -

Just a generic category to easily group G1998 into.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:They also just flat out lump the Monsterverse as "Hollywood" and depending on what it says 98 might just be lumped in with that. Edit: Looks like 98 is just viewed as Hollywood, which makes sense. I honestly think that`s more interesting then the Reiwa thing.
Turns out the full title for the US films is "Hollywood Productions" -

Just a generic category to easily group G1998 into.
Wow that’s really cool and makes a lot of sense. “Hollywood Era” would not make any sense given the time gap. I guess that means any future installments, monsterverse or otherwise, will be placed in that category. I find it cool because it’s also future proofing for possible movies made in the future, like some American Godzilla series made in 2031 when the franchise gets rebooted.

I still think the actual confirmation of the Reiwa era is cool.

Considering 7 of those new films are on that board it also puts it into perspective how much the franchise has grown. Really happy about all this.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

外人のゴジラ映画ファンの存在ことは難しですね。。。沢山のキノいじめっ子です。。。 
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Smuggers wrote:外人のゴジラ映画ファンの存在ことは難しですね。。。沢山のキノいじめっ子です。。。 
Holy shit I understood all of that except for “存在”/sonzai I actually could read that. I’m stuck reading practice texts about washoku all day, so something actually relevant to my life feels great.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Now Godzilla has his own Twitter and Instagram accounts! Toho's really wanting to have another 65 years of Godzilla, that new banner is fantastic.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Showa
Heisei
Millennium
Reiwa
Hollywood
It's simple. Even if G98 is lumped in with Legendary's films.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Showa
Heisei
Millennium
Reiwa
Hollywood
It's simple. Even if G98 is lumped in with Legendary's films.
Everything balanced as it should be!

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

It’s weird that they’re lumping the anime trilogy in with the film franchise.
It should’ve been it’s own category or not included at all.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:It’s weird that they’re lumping the anime trilogy in with the film franchise.
I understand I`m pretty much in the minority for really liking the anime trilogy, but other then not liking it, is there any other reason why you`re saying this? Depending on who you talk to there are worse entries in the franchise. There are also worse financial flops in regards to how much they were made for vs. how much they raked in.

The films were released theatrically in Japan and had tons of merch based around them, so why should they not be?

Actually, another fun thing to interpret is that due to both Shin and the AnimeTrilogy being called "Reiwa", despite being in the Heisei era, implies that 2020 onwards will have a lot of new entries into the foreseeable future. It does also imply, that most likely there`s a chance that they might not be tightly connected.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:It’s weird that they’re lumping the anime trilogy in with the film franchise.
I understand I`m pretty much in the minority for really liking the anime trilogy, but other then not liking it, is there any other reason why you`re saying this? Depending on who you talk to there are worse entries in the franchise. There are also worse financial flops in regards to how much they were made for vs. how much they raked in.

The films were released theatrically in Japan and had tons of merch based around them, so why should they not be?

Actually, another fun thing to interpret is that due to both Shin and the AnimeTrilogy being called "Reiwa", despite being in the Heisei era, implies that 2020 onwards will have a lot of new entries into the foreseeable future. It does also imply, that most likely there`s a chance that they might not be tightly connected.
For my part, while I'm not all that concerned with what is or isn't classified as part of a certain era, I tend to think of live action movies and animated movies as being essentially different media. To me, the anime entries don't really "count" simply because they are not live action Godzilla productions.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

For my part, while I'm not all that concerned with what is or isn't classified as part of a certain era, I tend to think of live action movies and animated movies as being essentially different media. To me, the anime entries don't really "count" simply because they are not live action Godzilla productions.
Fair enough, I don`t disagree with that line of thinking.

CCMan
Ronin

Post by CCMan »

Its good to have an official name for this new series. And I think grouping Shin and the Anime trilogy together makes perfect sense because both are experimental and trying to do something new with the character. Hopefully that trend continues.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

_JNavs_ wrote:Except there's no need for validation when it's in the same franchise. I just appreciated that they used a G14 quote.
Seriously, you made such an innocuous comment to have such a big deal made of. I think it's cool that they acknowledge G14 so prominently as well.
Last edited by Relair on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Relair wrote:
Seriously, you made such an innocuous comment to have such a big deal made of. I think it's cool that they acknowledge G14 so prominently as well.
Yeah you never would've seen them do something like this back in 98 lol, with good reason. I also appreciate that they're finally starting to blend both American and Japanese G films into the Goji culture.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote:I also appreciate that they're finally starting to blend both American and Japanese G films into the Goji culture.
But it's only happening now because it almost couldn't happen before? The only American G film until five years ago was a bomb with critics and fans, practically killed all the building stateside interest in the series, and didn't represent their character, so of course they wouldn't use it to promote their entire film franchise.

I think LSD's right that they featured G14 for the reason they did. Not only is the quote very relevant to the story they're trying to tell in their booth (Godzilla's history, starting in 1954) but it's a recent American film that's more familiar to the attendees than a quote from Godzilla vs. Megaguirus would have been.

That shouldn't negate your point though, because the Monsterverse Godzilla is important to Toho since it's a fair representation of their brand (much more than GINO) and for new fans a gateway to the Japanese films and the franchise as a whole. Of course they respect the movie: licensing the character to Legendary was the start of a worldwide initiative to make Godzilla a household name again. Toho didn't control the production but they did have a former employee as an executive producer, so it's not like GINO, where they completely handed over the reigns to people that didn't care to break Toho's guidelines for using the character.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

So... what's up with the 're-re-re-reiwa' title for this section? Is it a joke?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

KaijuCanuck wrote:So... what's up with the 're-re-re-reiwa' title for this section? Is it a joke?
Not so much joke as me having a little fun. Not everything has to be super 100% serious on the site, and a little fun with the section titles won't hurt anyone. It's all in good spirits, and I'll probably change it to a more official title later on. But hey, atleast it's not an accurate section title for these movies :P
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Giratina93 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:So... what's up with the 're-re-re-reiwa' title for this section? Is it a joke?
Not so much joke as me having a little fun. Not everything has to be super 100% serious on the site, and a little fun with the section titles won't hurt anyone. It's all in good spirits, and I'll probably change it to a more official title later on. But hey, atleast it's not an accurate section title for these movies :P
Wrong. This hurts me very badly. Toho Kingdom is, as we all know, a designated No Fun Zone in which all things must be treated Very Seriously at all times. I am issuing a formal demand that this crime be undone immediately.

Seriously, though, it's an ugly title that's just going to confuse people. My two cents.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio