Godzilla: The Planet Eater - Reviews

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla: The Planet Eater - Reviews

Post by JAGzilla »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
These summed it up pretty well. I do wish that Metphies and the Exif weren't the bad guys in the end. After telegraphing Evil Space Legolas as EVIL! from almost his first shot, it would have been a much more interesting thing to have them not but only read that way to us.

I had the same feeling in regards to the Bilusaludo. They had two alien races that had different priorities, philosophies, and moralities but were all ultimately good, and we just went down the same old road of "Aliens cannot be trusted. Ever." that we always have had in the Godzilla franchise.
I mean... 'good' is a point of view, Anakin. While the Bilusaludo and Exif were clearly the villains from Haruo and Humanity's perspective, they certainly didn't see themselves that way, and I don't feel like the trilogy 100% painted them that way, either. It's all about choices, viewpoint, and what you believe life is and should be about.

Anyway, TPE was okay. Better than the first one, maybe not quite as good as the second. This was a really interesting and even cool take on Ghidorah, I'll give them that. It manages to stick close to basic concept and even take it farther than the series ever has before, while toeing the line in terms of visual design.

And I was pleasantly surprised by the final battle, actually. This Godzilla had been nothing but a beam-spammer so far, but they subverted my expectations and took a kaiju that's traditionally supposed to be a beam-spammer and made him purely melee for the first time, albeit in a highly unconventional manner. And Godzilla got a decent amount of T&C in, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

JAGzilla wrote:I mean... 'good' is a point of view, Anakin. While the Bilusaludo and Exif were clearly the villains from Haruo and Humanity's perspective, they certainly didn't see themselves that way, and I don't feel like the trilogy 100% painted them that way, either. It's all about choices, viewpoint, and what you believe life is and should be about.
I will give you the Bilusaludo weren't evil in the traditional way, and I even agree that they were really trying to work for what they thought was the best ending. But that ending was to kill off all life that wasn't their glorious machine. They were far more nuanced and had the Exif been better, I probably would have been okay with them in the end; though I'd still have preferred them being more "good" for whatever that means.

Now, the Exif, I see no argument for. They want to kill everything in the universe. Destroy everything in the universe. The closest you get to a non-evil "reason" is that they worked out that everything will be destroyed at some point anyway. Entropy will increase, the last stars will burn out, the universe will become cold, protons will decay, the universe will fall into nothing or be ripped apart into nothing. So let's just hasten it along, shall we? Destroy everything and everyone and just get it going sooner! That's no less a villain's reasoning than Thanos's excuse that killing half of everything will help. There are a billion other ways to help the universe and zero ways that populations won't rebound or, more far likely, even surpass pre-snap levels in a generation or two. Sure is sound good, but only if you don't think about it for more that two seconds. It's just a naked excuse to kill and dominate. Same with the Exif.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Were they dominating, though? I don't remember it being said that the Exif benefit in any particular way from helping Ghidorah do what he does.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:Were they dominating, though? I don't remember it being said that the Exif benefit in any particular way from helping Ghidorah do what he does.
Yeah they were just a destruction cult, I don't think they even cared about ruling, just letting King Ghidorah destroy.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

True that the Exif were just a death cult of the highest order, I just meant "domination" in for the fact that from what we've seen, they like to get people over to their religion by not showing outsiders the dark aspects of it so that they can influence them into whatever path is most conducive to bringing King Ghidorah forth.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

All right, that's fair. The Exif were very underhanded about everything, though I suppose there's no realistic way around that. Very few people are going to be inclined to see things from their POV.