How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's an idea :

Make him a computer program from outer space that comes too life.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Gigantis »

That weird "Gods Godzilla' draft becomes an actual film. That is all they need to do.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Gigantis wrote:That weird "Gods Godzilla' draft becomes an actual film. That is all they need to do.
I'd be perfectly okay with this!
Resized Image

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
Gigantis wrote:That weird "Gods Godzilla' draft becomes an actual film. That is all they need to do.
What is this "Gods Godzilla"?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
Warning, weird poop ahead.

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/God%27s_Godzilla

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Gigantis wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
Warning, weird poop ahead.

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/God%27s_Godzilla
Holy shit.

That was the coolest thing I've ever read.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Go mythical. Most movies take a purely scientific approach to Godzilla's origins and status, so play it ambiguously. Odo island had mythology of dragons before the bombs dropped after all, maybe they were onto something. If Godzilla represents destruction, have that as a theme. To the ancients, storms, fire, lightning, and tsunamis were the epitome of destruction; so dragons, benign or malign were often associated with them. To the modern day, what is more destructive than the bomb? So why wouldn't an avatar of destruction utilize that kind of power?

The theme could even work with a classic set up from the Heisei series. In 1954, the atomic bombs were destructive but rare; so the beast then was 50 meters tall. In the 1970s and 1980s, the Cold War had armament build up that made the 50s look like a turkey shoot; and the resulting Godzilla was even bigger. And the weapon that killed the first Godzilla only created an even worse monster with Destoroyah. You can't 'destroy' 'destruction', if you try you'll only make something worse.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

If they go even fucking weirder than Shin or Earth I’ll probably just give up on toho tbh
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 pm If they go even fucking weirder than Shin or Earth I’ll probably just give up on toho tbh
Why? It opens the door for new things that could potentially be good. I get the anime trilogy, but I've got no problem with what Shin did.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

DirektorSplennic wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:59 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 pm If they go even skreeonking weirder than Shin or Earth I’ll probably just give up on toho tbh
Why? It opens the door for new things that could potentially be good. I get the anime trilogy, but I've got no problem with what Shin did.
Call me a traditionalist, but I’m not a fan of the origin story or the metamorphosis shit.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:41 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:59 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 pm If they go even skreeonking weirder than Shin or Earth I’ll probably just give up on toho tbh
Call me a traditionalist, but I’m not a fan of the origin story or the metamorphosis shit.
Oh that's fine then. I just brought that up only because I feel that limiting experimentation is sometimes detrimental *cough* Force Awakens *cough*. I totally get that though. The plant thing with Goji Earth and the iguana thing with G98 don't really sit right with me.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Godzilla evolving into this angelic nude woman, which allegedly according to someone was Anno's original idea for the ending of Shin that was axed by Toho for going too far.
Unless I am being misinformed and this is just one of Shin's tail things and each would look different from one another.

Another weird idea, making Godzilla into a tiny lizard that drinks too much radiation and gets huge.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Yeah that sort of thing is just a bridge too far for me. At that point it's just not Godzilla anymore. Plus the notion of "Ultimate/More Advanced Lifeform = Human shape" (TVtropes defines it as Bishōnen line) doesn't fit the series much.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Actually, speaking of which.. have a Godzilla where his origins are literally a fallen angel.

Maybe he got too powerful for other angels and.. angel kaiju i guess to control and he had to be sent back down to Earth as punishment, but that would do it.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

God I wished that cut ending happened if only to see what insane arguments people would make to defend it as Godzilla

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:48 pm God I wished that cut ending happened if only to see what insane arguments people would make to defend it as Godzilla
Thank goodness Toho has a rule that Godzilla's design can always look new but has to stick to the overall classic look that defines him, I think that angel creature would work as a creature Shin would have fought.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

the angel stuff would basically just turn Godzilla into Evangelion at that point
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:38 am the angel stuff would basically just turn Godzilla into Evangelion at that point
It would, it's interesting to think about but as I said, possibly only if it's a creature Godzilla fights rather than Godzilla himself.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Honestly I think the supernatural/cosmic implications have always been apart of Godzilla. He's essentially a god unleashed by the splitting of the atom. Mothra is explicitly a deity and you look at the way King Ghidorah emerges from the asteroid...clearly not what one would label a "scientifically natural" thing. To me, it's always been there. Movies like GMK and KotM just place more emphasis on it. Plus the Gamera trilogy.
Resized Image