How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
villainzilla
Yojimbo

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by villainzilla »

how toho could make godzilla weirder?honestly i don't know the answer,why?because i don't care if godzilla gets weirder or not,hell i hope he gets weirder if the start to make godzilla movies in shin godzilla style since the only enjoyable thing about that movie was how weird and creative godzilla used his powers on that movie,and about what direction will they go with godzilla,honestly i can give you guys some kinda of answer here,i think they will make movies on which they only care about the themes and the message and absolutely give a crap about the story and the characters,since you know,shin godzilla had really bad and honestly,unlikable human characters,while the anime trilogy was just a huge fat colossal NO,look,im sorry if i am being to pessimistic with my predictions here,i just freakin the reiwa era,im sorry

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by GojiDog »

They could always dust off that treatment to "A Space Godzilla", make a few changes, and just make that, lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

GojiDog wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 am They could always dust off that treatment to "A Space Godzilla", make a few changes, and just make that, lol.
That or God's Godzilla.

I need to see Godzilla and Alien Jesus destroy the world.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:53 pm I need to see Godzilla and Alien Jesus destroy the world.
SAME.
Resized Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

A Godzilla being the apex of an alternate Earth?

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Can't really see how Toho could give us a Godzilla that's weirder then what we got already with Shin Godzilla the Planet Godzilla trilogy and whatever Singular Point will depict him. Not saying I wouldn't want to see it far from it just can't think of anything right now.

Whatever direction it is, I do like how Toho's more willing to get a little creative with Godzilla and the other kaiju from time to time lately. It does allow more territories to be explored that keep things fresh and interesting. Sure not every idea works but it's better to try and see if it works or not then playing things too safe and allowing for stagnation to fester.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think in Singular Point, they're gearing towards Godzilla being an extradimentional creature, at least from the looks of it.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

There's definitely a lot of ways they could make another unique Godzilla incarnation. I don't want to get into the mundane details just yet because they are practically limitless, but if Toho wants to make Godzilla standout some more there are definitely plenty of avenues to take in that regard. Godzilla doesn't have to be different every time, but I don't want the same thing all of the time either. Shin and even the anime trilogy succeeded in that aspect and I am sure Toho could pull it off again. I think taking a different direction is more important now because he have the Monsterverse for your more "generic" Godzilla formula so this is the chance to get two different paths of the same character. Legendary can handle the more traditional style and Toho could become more unorthodox and think outside of the box in the meantime.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Toho pulls a Cloverfield and has Godzilla be 100 something meters tall, only for it to be revealed he's a juvenile and his dad is Godzilla Earth sized.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:52 am Toho pulls a Cloverfield and has Godzilla be 100 something meters tall, only for it to be revealed he's a juvenile and his dad is Godzilla Earth sized.
PotM exists already though.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Toho has had several creative ideas, so there's no telling what they would do. Shin was a nice update to the kaiju, and a plant based Godzilla was clever. They might do anything.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:35 pm Toho has had several creative ideas, so there's no telling what they would do. Shin was a nice update to the kaiju, and a plant based Godzilla was clever. They might do anything.
I know I’m gonna risk sounding redundant saying this, but why do people take beef with GINO’s deviations from what makes a proper Godzilla, yet what they did in recent films like Shin or the anime trilogy a good thing? I find it quite the double standard.

Seriously, Is Godzilla looking and acting the part all the matters too you? No matter what out-of-the-blue weird new origins and attributes that may be given to the character? Don’t get me wrong, I have an idea in my head for something unique to do with the character. If you want to read, check out the “Make your own Godzilla” thread in the fan art section.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

^ I read your idea for Godzilla, and I like it. Your close attention to biological details makes it an effective redesign.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:40 am

I know I’m gonna risk sounding redundant saying this, but why do people take beef with GINO’s deviations from what makes a proper Godzilla, yet what they did in recent films like Shin or the anime trilogy a good thing? I find it quite the double standard.

Because two of those films understood the point of the character and tweaked their version to fit the creative vision while one of them slapped a marketable name on a custom monster.

But no, double standards

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^In that case, I would like to know what will be too much and crossing the line.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:46 pm ^In that case, I would like to know what will be too much and crossing the line.
One took the first 3 letters out of the characters namesake, the powers, the appearance, and replaced him with a cowardly spikey dinosaur with the third act of an Aliens film mixed with the comedy of a Seinfeld episode.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:23 am
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:46 pm ^In that case, I would like to know what will be too much and crossing the line.
One took the first 3 letters out of the characters namesake, the powers, the appearance, and replaced him with a cowardly spikey dinosaur with the third act of an Aliens film mixed with the comedy of a Seinfeld episode.
Well obviously. Any other ideas?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:02 am
98 was made with pretty much no respect for the original source material while Shin was made by two people who ACTUALLY wanted to do Godzilla justice.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

This isn't for movies, but i was just thinking about a Godzilla game in the style of a Mario game. Probably one of the weirdest things they could do.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:29 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:02 am
98 was made with pretty much no respect for the original source material while Shin was made by two people who ACTUALLY wanted to do Godzilla justice.
If GINO actually had been done by someone who desired to do the character justice, would've that made a difference? Even with all the deviations?