How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by GojiSquid »

Godzilla except they take the zilla part out and just have God rampaging through Tokyo

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:20 pm Y'know how a good chunk of Godzilla's rogue gallery consist of clones? Two of them being alien clones?

What if a future Godzilla incarnation IS the alien clone?

No seriously, hear me out on this. Earth's Godzilla is dead (or at the very least, assumed to be dead), and sometime after that, Earth gets invaded by aliens like the Xiliens, Kilaak etc. and they find some of Godzilla's DNA and they take it to bio-engineer there own... but Godzilla, being, well, Godzilla, proves too much to handle and they throw the alien clone onto Earth to let humanity get killed by him. This could be the in-universe explanation of why of why most of Earth's monsters aren't in the same category of strength Godzilla is, because the alien added parts to him make him stronger than what most Earth kaiju can throw at him, and also why most other E.T kaiju hold their own better. This Godzilla could look more alien too. He doesn't share the same skin color as the first Godzilla, his atomic breath is a different color and is stronger, he has more powers, his organs and skeleton barely match any terrestrial being at all. Show that there's something off about him..

And THEN, Earth's Godzilla returns, getting pumped on some Super Radiation or something like that, and the two Godzilla get into a fight to finally see who's superior!
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think I could actually live with an idea like this. It’s not far off from the Debont script from Tristar. The only problem I can see people having with it is that it takes away the whole “folly of humanity” angle that’s crucial to the character in terms of origin(s).

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

At this point having a Godzilla that's an alien clone wouldn't be too far off given the crazy takes we've had so far with him from Toho's side. If they keep the radiation and folly of man part of him intact somehow I think people would be on board with the idea.

As for what take I'd like to see from Toho next with how Godzilla's made out to be a god in many folklore in the films why not actually make him one albeit a demon god for a change? Like make him actually be part of the Japanese pantheon of Gods but over the years of him being forgotten made him resentful and angry at mankind for forgetting him which by the time he got affected by radiation ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back for him thus unleashing his wrath for not only Japan but the entire Earth too. Having him be an actual god being mutated by radiation can lead into some dark fantasy horror elements by him using supernatural means along with of course the traditional Godzilla rampages through cities.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Godzilla being a clone could still perfectly play into folly. If created by aliens it could be symbolic of that, despite their claims of superiority, like earthlings they toy with the powers of life and death out of sheer hubris and must now suffer the consequences it.

GojiSquid wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:55 pm Godzilla except they take the zilla part out and just have God rampaging through Tokyo
Gah, this just reminds me of how much I want that God's Godzilla idea to be a thing.
Resized Image

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:48 pm
GojiSquid wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:55 pm Godzilla except they take the zilla part out and just have God rampaging through Tokyo
Gah, this just reminds me of how much I want that God's Godzilla idea to be a thing.
ngl I got Neil Breen flashbacks from the plot description of that script.
Last edited by GojiSquid on Sat May 01, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

The notion of "Let's make Godzilla more weird and abstract" isn't appealing to me. However, I definitely know what I'd like Toho to move away from - Godzilla being a big lumbering mass that just spams the heat ray, and doesn't display any personality or motivation. Shin did it, Anime trilogy did it, From what's been shown thus far I'm completely expecting Singular Point to do it. I would like to return to Godzilla being a character in his own right.

It doesn't have to be going to the goofy extremes of doing victory dances, actual speech or making hand gestures, but just some basic stuff. Reacting to things differently based on context, like choosing to leave humans alone when they're expecting him to attack them, having ally kaiju like Mothra or Anguirus that he doesn't fight with. Just enough facial expression to show things like curiosity, sadness, annoyance, anger. IMO the "Unthinking, unfeeling metaphor for destruction" thing has become something of a detriment to the character and robs him of potential to be more dynamic. I'd really like to see a Godzilla series where we see his character gradually change, perhaps he starts out as hostile and gradually mellows out. Not as a result of trying to make things more kid-friendly, but as intentional character development.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

GojiSquid wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:18 pm
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:48 pm
ngl I got Neil Breen flashbacks from the plot description of that script.
"And if you see Destoroyah, tell him I said F*@# YOU!"
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

GojiSquid wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:06 am What if the real Godzilla was the friends we made along the way?
Maybe Godzilla... is inside each one of us...!
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

The anime trilogy and SP are so far a great step for making unorthodox Godzilla stuff. You don't have to like those two on their own but you have to admit they at least made something different and both do have some great ideas in them. I don't want monsterverse clones for future entries. The monsterverse can stay with the monsterverse and give Toho some room to breathe and refresh the series. With the right crew I am confident Toho can make something truly amazing. They just have to learn from past mistakes and go back to the drawing board. SP so far is excellent so that could be a point of reference for doing something different but still interesting.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Considering Singular Point basically has Godzilla himself going through a mid-life crisis and cosplaying.... I don't know what to expect anymore :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does Shin HAVE to dictate everything in this franchise going forward?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 am Does Shin HAVE to dictate everything in this franchise going forward?
I’m sure it’ll grow old soon and they’ll do a “throwback” with a really simple Godzilla. But I don’t get the complaints about “everything” as Godzilla in both KOTM and GvK was about as classic and as straightforward as you could get. GVK Godzilla was basically GTTHM Godzilla.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If Toho actually cared to re-visit the Heisei era one day, perhaps they could have the adult Jr acquire psychic abilities somehow.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I think they could take notes from the Bible, Ghidorah father made the Godzilla species, and King Ghidorah got jealous because his father care about Godzilla species more than this children, so King Ghidorah Led a rebellion against his father and the Godzilla species, then lost making King Ghidorah a “Fallen Star”

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

At this point the weirdest thing Toho can do with Godzilla is make a movie with a more conventional Godzilla.

I admire the creative drive at Toho to go for the weird with the character, but it would be also kinda nice as an option to have a more "regular" Toho Godzilla again given it's been 17 years since the last.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:26 pm At this point the weirdest thing Toho can do with Godzilla is make a movie with a more conventional Godzilla.

I admire the creative drive at Toho to go for the weird with the character, but it would be also kinda nice as an option to have a more "regular" Toho Godzilla again given it's been 17 years since the last.
Everybody’s gotta go back to the basics every now and then.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I feel like if TOHO ever goes “back to basics” with a film it’ll be a sequel to GvD/a continuation of the Heisei series following Junior. The Heisei series is the most popular and profitable Godzilla series all around and i doubt TOHO wouldn’t ever want to revisit it for the moolah
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun May 09, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:45 pm I feel like if TOHO ever goes “back to basics” with a film it’ll be a sequel to GvD/a continuation of the Heisei series following Junior. The Heisei series is the most popular and profitable Godzilla series all around and i doubt TOHO wouldn’t ever want to revisit it for the moolah
They take a little too much pleasure in their constant reboot-fetish.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:45 pm The Heisei series is the most... profitable Godzilla series all around
Source for this?

As far as I know, the figures for every Godzilla film's total grosses aren't available. Based on attendance figures alone, the Showa Godzilla films pulled in just under three times the attendance of the Heisei films.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Terasawa wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:03 am
Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:45 pm The Heisei series is the most... profitable Godzilla series all around
Source for this?

As far as I know, the figures for every Godzilla film's total grosses aren't available. Based on attendance figures alone, the Showa Godzilla films pulled in just under three times the attendance of the Heisei films.
I say it more as an educated guess than anything solid. From what i’ve seen, Heisei merchandise sells the most (other than Monsterverse), and is pushed the most by TOHO, so a sequel to GvD would be way more likely than a sequel DAM or Hedorah
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: